GWT: Premier League Round 23

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It seems cruel of Arsenal to even bring up the idea of getting Martial

Yea, if Arsenal was selling Sanchez from a position of strength (long term deal) then it would make sense to ask for. Sanchez is a better player, but Martial has a lot more ahead of him, even if only due to age. But knowing that Sanchez is hellbent on leaving and has 6 months left, it's not even laughable, it's just the type of request that makes you wonder if the other side is sane.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Coutinho can only break down buses by scoring free kicks against them. Which isn’t a bad thing, and Liverpool may not have anyone else that can do that. Chamberlain’s set piece delivery has been a big inprovement from an assisting standpoint, but it remains to be seen who can put one in the back of the net.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I don't see how he could have played Firmino one on one with the keeper in that situation. He had 2 defenders on the right (Otamendi and Fernandinho) and one on the left. If the ball was heavier Ederson had a chance to get to it so in any case in that situation you're relying on Firmino to win a 50/50 (or worse if you took a different path). I thought it was a well placed and well weighted pass; outside of a pass to Firmino's feet (which would have been more difficult as it would have allowed two defenders to close him down) there was no real safe pass forward. It was the right decision probably, and was rewarded as such.

You seem to be the only one that thinks Ox didn't have a genuinely fantastic game. What about it was not good for you? He had a goal and an assist (despite your disparaging of his pass for the assist), he had the most successful dribbles of any player on the field (5), he was tied for the most key passes on either team (5, only Sane had more with 7, but Sane was also dispossessed 7 times...Ox only 2). Ox was also instrumental in the press himself gaining 2 interceptions and a tackle while also being in a great position after the ball was won back most of the time leading to his team high 67 touches as he was always available in transition (which also influenced his dribbles, etc.) Voted man of the match by most places (it was Firmino for me personally but could see him, Ox, Robertson or Wijnaldum tbh).

OX passes were terrible throughout the game... gave up the ball like candy. His pass to Firimnho was awful... considering the amount of time he had to release one. HE could've easily passed it towards goal without the danger of Ederson claiming it. He was pretty far off the box.

He was pushed in the back. 100% foul. But he never should have been in a position to be muscled out of the ball. He was first on the ball, he had the better position.

Not sure I understand what you mean here. Stones never actually touched the ball so, he wasn't first on it. As he was about to gain control Firminho shoulders him in the back. The goal is down to bobby's brilliance mixed with Ederson's poor position and shoddy reffing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Not sure I understand what you mean here. Stones never actually touched the ball so, he wasn't first on it. As he was about to gain control Firminho shoulders him in the back. The goal is down to bobby's brilliance mixed with Ederson's poor position and shoddy reffing.
He was first on the ball, he just didn't clear it immediately, which allowed Firmino to push him in the back. He had the position, as I said.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Firmino goal: I watched at a bar with no sound and was surprised they did not give the foul. If Stones goes down, it's probably given.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I watched Match of the Day for the first time in months on Sunday. It's going to be hilarious watching the demise of Arsenal over the next few years.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He was first on the ball, he just didn't clear it immediately, which allowed Firmino to push him in the back. He had the position, as I said.

I watched that play like 5 times now... I think it was simultaneous the push from the back and Stones getting in the vicinity of the ball. I don't blame him at all. TBH.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There was no push in the back. Firmino ran into him from the side. Not sure why you guys keep calling it a push. He jostled him; if he goes down it's probably a foul but he didn't. Good on Stones for not embellishing. The contact was clearly not much and thus the no foul.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's not a foul when it's shoulder to shoulder. It's a foul when it's shoulder to back.
Simple rule. Universal. Easy to see.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
There was no push in the back. Firmino ran into him from the side. Not sure why you guys keep calling it a push. He jostled him; if he goes down it's probably a foul but he didn't. Good on Stones for not embellishing. The contact was clearly not much and thus the no foul.

You have a really interesting definition of side.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Are you even serious right now

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not a foul when it's shoulder to shoulder. It's a foul when it's shoulder to back.
Simple rule. Universal. Easy to see.
It's not actually that simple, nor is it universal, and is up to referee discretion. There are many instances of players bumping into each other from various angles that don't constitute fouls. The actual rule is 'careless, reckless or excessive force' as described by the laws of the game. This was clearly not reckless, careless and it obviously wasn't of excessive force either (hence why people keep saying that Stones should have dove to get the call).

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00