GWT: Premier League Round 23

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
The good news is that Mike Ashley is aware of the fact.

The bad news is, he's aware of the fact because he intended it to be so in the first place.

And the worst news is that he doesn't appear likely to undergo a change of heart.

(If the sale goes through)

Calvin = Ashley
Mom = Staveley

main-qimg-7348891bf1536bc17af61f412e510978

I'd expect Staveley to have the same exact look on her face when signing her name on the docs.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
With Arsenal losing and Liverpool winning, cant see Arsenal making the Champions League through the league. Should just concentrate on Europa.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
City were shocking at times. Ederson was the worst player in the game. Kun and Sterling were both atrocious. OX wasn't really good either minus the goal.

Has to be said Bobby's goal looked like a foul to me.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Didn't someone here state less than 6 months ago that Klopp had no future as a top coach because he has been figured out and the only thing he's good at is not going to work anymore?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Didn't someone here state less than 6 months ago that Klopp had no future as a top coach because he has been figured out and the only thing he's good at is not going to work anymore?

I do remember someone saying that, but I don't remember who. And since then they didn't lose a single game to a small team that parked the bus. Their next two games they play teams that will show immediately whether or not they can beat a parked bus without Coutinho.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They've already beaten a bunch of parked buses this season without Coutinho. Coutinho was one of the most important players on the team last season when we struggled against parked buses. Again, too much is made of his importance in this facet. We have better offensive players than Coutinho, and players better suited to Klopp's style of midfield.

Okay, I'll bite.

The issue that posters have isn't your excitement about the win, but rather the fact you're using a single game (in which I think you won more due to City error and good tactical set up by Klopp rather than your current favorite players being as good as you want them to be) to try and drice home that all your opinions are so obviously correct and everyone else is wrong.

Is that what I'm doing? Where did I say we won because of my favourite players or that it made all of my opinions right and everyone else wrong (actually when do I ever act like that)? I pointed out before the game that we played well against City before (and probably looked the more dangerous team). I've been talking about Firmino forever, and yes the players played a big part of this win I think it's kind of silly to discredit them the way that you just did in that sentence. Also if you'll notice I quoted ONE poster, who happens to follow me into every topic to spout his nonsense constantly.

It's cringey that you use a game to toot your own horn. "Look everyone I was right about x player where were all of you? Take that¡¡"

Could you explain how this is what I've done? I've been lauding Ox and Robertson from the beginning and people were making comments about them. I said it tongue in cheek -- that you or anyone would get so sensitive about it speaks volumes in and of itself. For every post I make, and generally only if I have something to vindicate something I've said, there are at least a dozen posts by various members nitpicking any little mistake that is made by a single player that I happen to be fond of. Pretty tired of the whole victim card by the lot of you; don't throw stones in glass houses. If you guys are going to be chasing me around every topic you can any time something happens that might be slightly contrary to something I've said before, and if you're going to reach as much as possible to posts made even years in the past to get some kind of edge you can certainly bet I'm going to rub it in your faces as much as possible (and even then it's only a select few I do that to).

That's why people take issue with your posts. You try so hard to convince everyone else that your opinions are always right and you only see things your way and think the whole soccer board is against you.

Let's look at the Coutinho issue. I don't think anyone has issue with the argument that Liverpool is better off with Van Dijk and Keita than Coutinho. In fact I'm pretty sure everyone agrees with it.

However you go into these weird absolutes where you're so sure of yourself like "yeah our other attackers are better we won't miss him he doesn't provide a lot" WTF?

Every time I have an opinion or reasoning I believe in I provide my reasoning and actually open it up for discussion. I ask questions or ask for why others believe I am wrong and I'm more than willing to consider them. I posted the stats and have watched all of the games this season and last with and without Coutinho. When I provided my reasoning what do you think the response was? How many people actually provided a decent level of discussion? This has happened almost EVERY time I discuss most things. Yes, I have strong opinions. I am still more than willing to discuss them and change my mind with a good, respectful debate.

Also that whole Klopp/Rodgers thing is funny. I never said that Klopp was worse than Rodgers, one, two I just said that Klopp still had a lot to prove. He has a better team than Rodgers ever had to work with but also has done very well in this respect. Rodgers' biggest issue was with this transfer dealings; as an actual coach he was quite good. That was never a slight on Klopp, but even still I think I've always been mostly supportive of Klopp and I've never asked for him to be sacked or gone off the deep end or anything.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They've already beaten a bunch of parked buses this season without Coutinho. Coutinho was one of the most important players on the team last season when we struggled against parked buses. Again, too much is made of his importance in this facet. We have better offensive players than Coutinho, and players better suited to Klopp's style of midfield.

Yes, but the difference is that these are two away games and they have struggled a bit away from home.

Also that whole Klopp/Rodgers thing is funny. I never said that Klopp was worse than Rodgers, one, two I just said that Klopp still had a lot to prove. He has a better team than Rodgers ever had to work with but also has done very well in this respect. Rodgers' biggest issue was with this transfer dealings; as an actual coach he was quite good. That was never a slight on Klopp, but even still I think I've always been mostly supportive of Klopp and I've never asked for him to be sacked or gone off the deep end or anything.

To be fair Klopp made this team better by picking perfect signings and developing players, which Rodgers didn't do as well as him. Plus he proved himself with Dortmund. He had nothing to prove at all.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
To be fair Klopp made this team better by picking perfect signings and developing players, which Rodgers didn't do as well as him. Plus he proved himself with Dortmund. He had nothing to prove at all.

I agree that Klopp made this team better with his signings and the way he's integrated players into his system. There's no doubt about that. I think the biggest issue he had at Dortmund was still an issue (and more evident because of the style of the PL) with Liverpool and the problem was that those games were costing us. Again, last season we didn't drop a single game against the top 8 (iirc) and had by far the best record against those teams. You'd think that with that in mind, and having a team that is clearly superior on paper to any other team outside of the top 6 we could have challenged for the title with that kind of record. Obviously he needed to adapt and learn and he's done a great job of evolving so far, IMO, or just by getting the right players to make up for whatever stubbornness he has in his tactical approach.

Either way the team is very different now than it was even a year ago. I'm very grateful for Klopp but it's not like his tenure has been without question, and I think it's fair to have questions or doubts that need answers over time. I always maintained that I would give Klopp the time to answer them though and never once doubted that he should be our manager.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp has always been bright enough and good enough to get something out of his players. That’s the easy part. City’s defense is dodgy, their offense covers and most teams don’t have good enough attackers to compete

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Klopp has always been bright enough and good enough to get something out of his players. That’s the easy part. City’s defense is dodgy, their offense covers and most teams don’t have good enough attackers to compete
I think that calling City's defence 'dodgy' is a bit overstated. You're not going to find a lot of teams out there that have Liverpool's counter-pressing combined with their talent. We're the first team all season to score more than 2 goals against City in any competition. They've only allowed more than 1 goal twice this season (Napoli once and West Brom). Obviously a large part of that is their possession play and that's why Liverpool were able to have so much success with them disrupting their backline, but watch the game again and see just how much pressure that City team was under any time they had the ball. Simply having a good attack isn't good enough. I'm definitely interested to see how other teams try and set up against City in the future, but I don't think there are many out there with the ability to do what Liverpool did, if any. Still not enough superlatives to describe how good Firmino is, especially under Klopp.

I'd really like to watch Barcelona vs. City though. That would be an entertaining game.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also missed this on the gameday but wow, incredible from Lovren:

Lovren certainly has had his issues with the club, but his passion and dedication to the team can't really be put in question.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
City were shocking at times. Ederson was the worst player in the game. Kun and Sterling were both atrocious. OX wasn't really good either minus the goal.

Has to be said Bobby's goal looked like a foul to me.
Commentator made the same point, that if Stones decides to hit the floor play is definitely stopped for a foul. I guess credit his honesty, but..

And to be fair, Firmino still had a shitload to do. Great finish.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There's a few calls that could have gone differently in that game but yeah, like Jersey Fresh said it was an incredible finish and hard to take that away from Firmino; his hard work and technique were repaid with a beautiful goal. Great ball through from Ox as well (who was top notch throughout).

Selling Coutinho may have been worth it just for this song:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Watched it again it was definitely a foul... Not taking anything away from the gorgeous finish though.

Also it was a terrible pass by OX who had all the time in the world only to deliver a short ball away from the goal... giving Firminho all to do. A player worthy of that transfer fee would've sent Bobby one v one with the keeper.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Watched it again it was definitely a foul... Not taking anything away from the gorgeous finish though.

Also it was a terrible pass by OX who had all the time in the world only to deliver a short ball away from the goal... giving Firminho all to do. A player worthy of that transfer fee would've sent Bobby one v one with the keeper.
I don't see how he could have played Firmino one on one with the keeper in that situation. He had 2 defenders on the right (Otamendi and Fernandinho) and one on the left. If the ball was heavier Ederson had a chance to get to it so in any case in that situation you're relying on Firmino to win a 50/50 (or worse if you took a different path). I thought it was a well placed and well weighted pass; outside of a pass to Firmino's feet (which would have been more difficult as it would have allowed two defenders to close him down) there was no real safe pass forward. It was the right decision probably, and was rewarded as such.

You seem to be the only one that thinks Ox didn't have a genuinely fantastic game. What about it was not good for you? He had a goal and an assist (despite your disparaging of his pass for the assist), he had the most successful dribbles of any player on the field (5), he was tied for the most key passes on either team (5, only Sane had more with 7, but Sane was also dispossessed 7 times...Ox only 2). Ox was also instrumental in the press himself gaining 2 interceptions and a tackle while also being in a great position after the ball was won back most of the time leading to his team high 67 touches as he was always available in transition (which also influenced his dribbles, etc.) Voted man of the match by most places (it was Firmino for me personally but could see him, Ox, Robertson or Wijnaldum tbh).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He was pushed in the back. 100% foul. But he never should have been in a position to be muscled out of the ball. He was first on the ball, he had the better position.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Coutinho isn't needed in a counter attack game.
When it comes to down to breaking down a bus however...

Coutinho isn't great against breaking down buses. That's why we've had so much trouble against them.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Coutinho isn't great against breaking down buses. That's why we've had so much trouble against them.
Coutinho can only break down buses by scoring free kicks against them. Which isn’t a bad thing, and Liverpool may not have anyone else that can do that. Chamberlain’s set piece delivery has been a big inprovement from an assisting standpoint, but it remains to be seen who can put one in the back of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad