Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know someone said that regardless of the PL finish they'd take Liverpool's season over City's after the Barcelona win.

That was me, still agree with it although I want to clarify. I’m not inherently saying Liverpool had a *better* season, I’m saying that as a fan I’d want their season more. City essentially did what was expected of them domestically and flopped continentally. Obviously did well to not slip up in the league cup or FA cup (yet), but in terms of league performance they’re not as good or dominant as last year, and going out in Europe to Spurs should be unacceptable for a team like City, especially given the laughable difference in spending (Since Spurs last bought a player, City have spent like a trillion dollars) and Spurs having a ton of injuries.

Liverpool on the other hand has exceeded expectations. Sure they looked like they’d be good, but no one seriously expected 97 points and only a single loss all season. Add to that the thrilling win over Barca when the tie should have been over after the first leg. I’ll take CL final and 97 points domestically even if it results zero trophies over a season in which you add expensive players and still perform under your performance last year even if that gets you a domestic treble.

I'm sure many people will still argue that Arsenal's 'Invincibles' or one of Ferguson's United teams were the best ever, or maybe Mourinho's Chelsea at one point. Either way I'm just genuinely curious what peoples thoughts are on this.

Invincibles are overrated. They crashed out early in every other competition. They couldn’t even win the community shield.

Personally I’d put 99, 08, and 09 United teams up there, but I’ll easily admit I’m biased. 09 would be the easy answer if they had won the CL.

Reactions: sabremike

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Invincibles are overrated. They crashed out early in every other competition. They couldn’t even win the community shield.

They made the semis in the FA and League Cup and Quarters in the CL. Check your facts before posting.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Yes, as I said early.

If they’re supposed to be the best team ever, they should have been able to make at least one final or even the semis of the CL.

And Liverpool got knocked out in the 3rd round on both domestic cups which certainly helped them with their points total and CL placing this year.

Imagine thinking finishing undefeated with a squad where the highest paid transfer player on the team was 13 mil pounds while finishing in the semis and quarters in cup competitions doesn't rank up their as one of the best seasons.

Then again you admitted your bias which shoots down anything else credible you say regarding your opinion.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And Liverpool got knocked out in the 3rd round on both domestic cups which certainly helped them with their points total and CL placing this year.

Imagine thinking finishing undefeated with a squad where the highest paid transfer player on the team was 13 mil pounds while finishing in the semis and quarters in cup competitions doesn't rank up their as one of the best seasons.

Then again you admitted your bias which shoots down anything else credible you say regarding your opinion.

I never said it wasn’t one of the best, I said it’s overrated since people seem to put them as the standard for “best team” when I’d put them outside the top 5 behind last years City, this years City, Liverpool, at least one of Fergie’s teams, and probably Jose’s Chelsea team too.

I’m also not sure why my admitted Manchester United bias should discount me ranking Liverpool and City ahead of Arsenal, if anything it should be the opposite.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah City is pretty ridiculously stacked. Even someone like David Silva who is on the older side plays a style that isn't likely to see him slow down within the next year or two. They've got a lot of the best young players in the world at their positions. Even if they get hit with bans and such there's no way they aren't a powerhouse for the next few years at the very least, but even their youth infrastructure is just ridiculously good now. It would take mismanagement on a colossal scale or some substantial sanctions to stop them from remaining at the pinnacle of the sport.

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Man City is still a mostly youthful squad.

Kompany, Otamendi, Fernandinho, D Silva, and Aguero all played significant roles this year, and they’re all the wrong side of 30.

I don’t think they’ll drop off a cliff or anything, but especially Aguero, Silva, and Fernandinho need to be effectively replaced very soon.

Silva is likely the closest to being replaced.

I don’t buy for a second that Jesus will ever be able to replace Aguero (he just doesn’t have the IQ).

Fernandinho is an interesting one. They did well with him out for parts this year, but I’m not sure how sustainable that is without a true replacement.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It's weird thinking that it wasn't even that long ago when City was a great example of mediocre. How times change

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think City has ultimately been good for the league, Chelsea as well. It's actually allowed for some diversity at the top instead of pretty only the traditional powers like the other leagues.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course age will soon become an issue for City. The same way it has for Real Madrid and Bayern Munchen. It is not obvious that replacing Kompany, Fernandinho, D. Silva, Aguero etc. will be easy. And it is usually very difficult to get the timing right. When will Aguero stop scoring? Is Jesus supposed to take over? Who will join City watching Aguero from the bench?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think City has ultimately been good for the league, Chelsea as well. It's actually allowed for some diversity at the top instead of pretty only the traditional powers like the other leagues.

Yes. The joy of watching a team that can just buy anyone they like. If only we had more of those.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would you prefer a league dominated by 1 or 2 of those kinds of clubs or 4-6?

Now I love horse racing, but I prefer it when the rich waste their money on that instead of football.

I really don't see how any random club suddenly just buying anything they can get their hands on benefits a league?

It is possible to build teams step by step. Spurs have proven it in England. And don't tell me City and Chelsea have paved the way (not saying you are going to make that argument, but many have). Atletico Madrid, Lyon (at least for awhile) etc. have proven it elsewhere.

Throw in 5 more Citys and teams like Spurs would probably never had the cash to invest like they have.

Spurs have against all odds still managed, but I do feel sorry for teams like Spurs - operating in a proper way - losing out on CL and EL due to teams like City and Chelsea. And obviously Spurs were among the teams especially Chelsea kept out of the money for a long time.

Maybe I'm coloured by being a Spursfan, but which neutral fan wouldn't say teams that build themselves up with their own money do not deserve it more than some random rich guy (or nation) buying a team they have no prior connection to? At least with Blackburn and Wigan I could understand the history.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Kompany, Otamendi, Fernandinho, D Silva, and Aguero all played significant roles this year, and they’re all the wrong side of 30.

I don’t think they’ll drop off a cliff or anything, but especially Aguero, Silva, and Fernandinho need to be effectively replaced very soon.

Silva is likely the closest to being replaced.

I don’t buy for a second that Jesus will ever be able to replace Aguero (he just doesn’t have the IQ).

Fernandinho is an interesting one. They did well with him out for parts this year, but I’m not sure how sustainable that is without a true replacement.

They're going to have to continue to retool. Aguero, Silva and Fernandinho need to be replaced, but Silva already has a replacement in house with Bernardo Silva (and to be fair, Sterling can play further back), KdB and Gundogan did ok in stretches replacing Fernandinho (but I expect they spend big on a replacement this summer), and Aguero would be a big miss, if they didn't have a ton of goals in the side, and probably a decent replacement in Jesus. I know he isn't as good, but if you figure Sane gets more matches, it's all ok in the end. Sign a good striker, and Pep will do what needs to be done. Or don't, and let Sterling play false nine.

I mean, I guess there's some question if Stones is in favor, and if they need two central defenders soon, but with Laporte, they're probably ok with one.

But a lot of their core pieces are still very young. de Bruyne is going to be 28 this summer, Kyle Walker is 28, Mahrez (28), Gundogan will be 29 early next season, but Stones (24, though he seems to be out of favor of late), Sterling (24), Laporte (24), Bernardo Silva (25 by next season), Mendy (25 next season) and Ederson (26 next season) are all built for the next 3-4 seasons.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
As though Tottenham are not a 'rich' team, and were built up from being 'have nots'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad