Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Those Rascals who tried to steal Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Sticking a struggling young player on the ice at the NHL level isn’t the right approach if you have other options. It leads to frustration, more bad play and can destroy confidence. Sticking them in the press box for a couple of games while coaching them up during film and practice is the optimal approach in my opinion. What ever Brunette is doing with the scratches and coaching is ultimately providing positive results for the young guys, not just Tomasino but ALL of them.

Here is an interesting post by someone close to the team with some insight as to what is going on.

Those may well be the reasons for all we know but

-"Giveaways" is a bad, somewhat arbitrary stat fraught with context issues

- There's a good argument to be made that he deserves more PK time given his skill set and results 4v5 this year and most other seasons

- Hits in a vacuum don't really matter at all, they're only useful if done productively

I know that's not your list. Kinda weak though

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The astounding level of nothingness that Tomasino was doing early in the year shouldn't be compared to the defensive situation for this team. I know you don't believe it but Tomasino was THAT bad early on. Luckily, he seems to be on the other side of that now.

Most of the people that comment on not understanding the defensive situation also seem resigned to the fact that we, the fans, are missing something since this is the second head coach to pressbox Fabbro.
I actually think nothingness is a decent term for how Tomasino played. Based on the reaction and the amount of times he was scratched you’d think he was actively losing us games though.

Sticking a struggling young player on the ice at the NHL level isn’t the right approach if you have other options. It leads to frustration, more bad play and can destroy confidence. Sticking them in the press box for a couple of games while coaching them up during film and practice is the optimal approach in my opinion. What ever Brunette is doing with the scratches and coaching is ultimately providing positive results for the young guys, not just Tomasino but ALL of them.

Here is an interesting post by someone close to the team with some insight as to what is going on.

I also think press boxing a guy for nearly a third of the games over a one month period similarly destroys confidence. As I’ve said several times in this discussion a game or two in the press box doesn’t bother me. The extent to which we press boxed tomasino is my problem. As to the overall trajectory for the young guys not sure I agree. Almost all of them are playing worse this year (at least based on stats) than they did to end last season. Most of them look to be lacking the confidence they had at the end of last year too. Maybe some of that is explainable by injuries or there being no pressure last season versus now.

As a whole I’ve like Brunette a lot and there is no doubt we’re playing well right now overall. However, we’re mostly relying on him getting the most out of vets not the young guys. Ultimately, time will tell whether his approach with the young guys works as he will need them to develop if we’re going to have longer term success. As of now I’m mildly concerned but it is still very early.

Reactions: hockey diva

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Also on Fabbro.

“Gallagher cited a team source claiming they'd prefer to retain Carrier because he's better suited to head coach Andrew Brunette's system.”

I read that to be that this system speculation is purely Carrier vs. Fabbro. It's not the entire equation, but it is clear that Carrier has the inside track at the moment since Fabbro is consistently scratched. Still, Fabbro has the ability to move the puck and early in the season was the only d-man beside Josi with any points.

But this system point seems debatable. Schenn doesn't fit anyone''s definition of a quick, shifty, smooth skating d-man. A puck moving defenseman who sees the play and makes above average plays consistently. Someone that has strengths in all zones. He's just a fire hydrant that gets in the way. Yet, he's in the lineup.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Schenn was brought in for intangibles and toughness/snarl. I dont think he is really in any direct competition for a role on this team unless his play is ghastly.

Just from my general feel of the situation... things seem to be moving towards Barrie and Fabbro traded and Stastney brought up to pair with Schenn. Call up Gravel or McKeown to ride the pressbox. Next season itll be Stastney, Del Gaizo, and possibly Molendyk rounding out the third pairing. Del Gaizo is no longer waiver exempt so he may be kept along no matter what. Molendyk was reportedly close to getting an extended look this year and Stastney looks great every chance given.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Schenn was brought in for intangibles and toughness/snarl. I dont think he is really in any direct competition for a role on this team unless his play is ghastly.
He takes up a RD spot. If he was used more like Boro was, on a rotational basis, perhaps people wouldn't mind so much. :dunno:

Just from my general feel of the situation... things seem to be moving towards Barrie and Fabbro traded and Stastney brought up to pair with Schenn. Call up Gravel or McKeown to ride the pressbox. Next season itll be Stastney, Del Gaizo, and possibly Molendyk rounding out the third pairing. Del Gaizo is no longer waiver exempt so he may be kept along no matter what. Molendyk was reportedly close to getting an extended look this year and Stastney looks great every chance given.
And that is a serious glut of LHD.

On the right, we have Schenn and Livingstone signed. Have to make decisions on Barrie, Fabbro, and Carrier. If they like Josi on his off side, and having Lauzon who has played both sides, they could let all 3 of them go. That'd open up the left side for 2 out of Stasney, Molendyk, and Del Gaizo. With one of them and Livingstone being the 7 and 8.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He takes up a RD spot. If he was used more like Boro was, on a rotational basis, perhaps people wouldn't mind so much. :dunno:

And that is a serious glut of LHD.

On the right, we have Schenn and Livingstone signed. Have to make decisions on Barrie, Fabbro, and Carrier. If they like Josi on his off side, and having Lauzon who has played both sides, they could let all 3 of them go. That'd open up the left side for 2 out of Stasney, Molendyk, and Del Gaizo. With one of them and Livingstone being the 7 and 8.
Yeh but schenn has a 3 year contract. Maybe in the 3rd year he will be more rotational.

The glut of LHD does make the McD Josi pairing make more sense. Stastney is good to go for NHL time and would make some of 2 mil rhd unnecessary.

The whole schenn situation kindof puts an unnecessary squeeze on an already full d group. Itll be more clear next season though. I just hope we dont make short sighted decisions just so we can shoehorn schenn in.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yeh but schenn has a 3 year contract. Maybe in the 3rd year he will be more rotational.

The glut of LHD does make the McD Josi pairing make more sense. Stastney is good to go for NHL time and would make some of 2 mil rhd unnecessary.

The whole schenn situation kindof puts an unnecessary squeeze on an already full d group. Itll be more clear next season though. I just hope we dont make short sighted decisions just so we can shoehorn schenn in.
The Schenn signing is looking like a bad idea gone poorly. Trotz talked about him being some sort of personal protector for Josi and taking over games with his experience, intelligence, and toughness, like some sort of Zdano Chara. I don't think it's too early to say he's never going to be a top pairing guy or a serious top 4 guy for us.

So we're left with a 3 year contract on a guy who's "toughness" game doesn't really fit any role other than bottom pairing RHD, rotational depth, or stapled to the press box. The first option being synonymous with shoehorning him in the lineup in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad