Confirmed with Link: Preds sign Connor Ingram to 3 year deal

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nice. His play this season really put him on the map. Too bad he never got a game with the big team. But that seems to be bumped to next season now. Where he plays as the #1 in Milwaukee again, just waiting for Pekka to retire.

I still have the vague unease about Seattle with him. They should have many more established goalies to look at. But now here's one who is going to be signed nicely for 2 years after their draft. Probably should file this under "nice problem to have", I guess.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Solid deal, going to get some games in as soon as next year. I see us carrying 3 goalies at one time next season, like the Rangers did this year.

I wouldn't worry about Seattle. He's not going to be seasoned enough for the NHL for them to take him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Solid deal, going to get some games in as soon as next year. I see us carrying 3 goalies at one time next season, like the Rangers did this year.

I wouldn't worry about Seattle. He's not going to be seasoned enough for the NHL for them to take him.
I think I have to figure out the likely protections lists for goalies before I decide to truly worry or not worry about Seattle. They have to take 3G minimum. I remember a fair bit of speculation with Vegas about some minor league goalies being targeted, Stolarz was one though Philly ended up protecting him. They ended up with Fleury, Pickard, and Berube selected. A lot of special considerations involved and luck with getting Fleury, etc. It won't be too hard to speculate a full league worth of goalie protections. Maybe I'll try that later today if I get bored at "the office". :)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think I have to figure out the likely protections lists for goalies before I decide to truly worry or not worry about Seattle. They have to take 3G minimum. I remember a fair bit of speculation with Vegas about some minor league goalies being targeted, Stolarz was one though Philly ended up protecting him. They ended up with Fleury, Pickard, and Berube selected. A lot of special considerations involved and luck with getting Fleury, etc. It won't be too hard to speculate a full league worth of goalie protections. Maybe I'll try that later today if I get bored at "the office". :)

I mean I guess Ingram wouldn't be a bad pick for them but I think there's too much uncertainty for them there + they'll get a better player from us than Ingram they shouldn't waste that pick on him.

That being said, if we lose Ingram in the ED, in a way I consider that a win.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I mean I guess Ingram wouldn't be a bad pick for them but I think there's too much uncertainty for them there + they'll get a better player from us than Ingram they shouldn't waste that pick on him.

That being said, if we lose Ingram in the ED, in a way I consider that a win.
That's the other side of it. Even if you make the goalie list, who are the better players available from each team? And then what changes over the next year. It's going to be impossible to truly say from here. If Saros keeps going strong, though, it's never difficult to patch in a half-decent backup on the UFA market or something. So as you say, losing Ingram might not be such a tragedy.

Our whole protection list is probably in turmoil after some of the performances this year. If we are going 4-4-1, though, you'd have to think they get some interesting options from us at F anyway. So that probably shields Ingram moreso than what the rest of the league's goalie protections look like.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Regardless of why Tampa moved him, Ingram for a 7th looks so lopsided. How good is this guy? 21-5-5 with a .933 save percentage and a 1.92 goals-against average. I know people are saying "back up of the future" but I personally believe this kid might have the tools to steal the job from Saros, especially with the chip on his shoulder to prove Tampa wrong.

Reactions: maplepred

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I believe Seattle also has to take in to consideration making the league minimum salary cap which would make picking Ingram less likely.

Reactions: CF Punk

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This is gonna make the ED interesting. Ingram looks NHL ready to me. I wonder if he'll get any NHL time next season. I guess any NHL games will make him even more enticing to Seattle. Though that could always be the idea.... If we could get a good feel for Ingram's ability on the NHL level could possibly make a deal with Seattle to expose Saros in exchange for not taking a dman. Ingram takes over in Nashville.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So... just for the heck of it...

Anaheim - protect Gibson, nobody of note exposed
Arizona - protect Kuemper, Raanta UFA, Hill may be exposed
Boston - Rask UFA - they are already sending smoke signals about him retiring, Vladar exposed
Buffalo - protect Ullmark or Johansson, expose the other?
Calgary - Rittich UFA - assume they retain him, nothing of note to expose
Carolina - Reimer and Mrazek UFA, presume protect Nedeljkovic
Chicago - don't have anybody but Delia signed
Colorado - protect Francouz, Grubauer UFA
Columbus - protect one of Korpisalo or Kivlenieks and expose the other
Dallas - has to protect Bishop, Khudobin is UFA this year
Detroit.... ok, I've had enough...
:surrender

What I can see is that an enormous number of NHL goalies are going to be UFA either this summer or next summer. It's almost like NHL GMs knew expansion was coming or something, right? But what it means for our Ingram question... it's just pointless right now. Until next season starts and we see who is signed where for what, you can't even put together a meaningful list. Only a minority of teams have their situation really clear. From here, it looks like Seattle could just buy an experienced goaltending tandem on the UFA market if they really wanted to. They still have to pick 3 goalies, though. But it's a fool's game to try to predict who those might be today. :blush:

Reactions: Scoresberg

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Regardless of why Tampa moved him, Ingram for a 7th looks so lopsided. How good is this guy? 21-5-5 with a .933 save percentage and a 1.92 goals-against average. I know people are saying "back up of the future" but I personally believe this kid might have the tools to steal the job from Saros, especially with the chip on his shoulder to prove Tampa wrong.

You forgot AHL All Star!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So... just for the heck of it...

Anaheim - protect Gibson, nobody of note exposed
Arizona - protect Kuemper, Raanta UFA, Hill may be exposed
Boston - Rask UFA - they are already sending smoke signals about him retiring, Vladar exposed
Buffalo - protect Ullmark or Johansson, expose the other?
Calgary - Rittich UFA - assume they retain him, nothing of note to expose
Carolina - Reimer and Mrazek UFA, presume protect Nedeljkovic
Chicago - don't have anybody but Delia signed
Colorado - protect Francouz, Grubauer UFA
Columbus - protect one of Korpisalo or Kivlenieks and expose the other
Dallas - has to protect Bishop, Khudobin is UFA this year
Detroit.... ok, I've had enough...
:surrender

What I can see is that an enormous number of NHL goalies are going to be UFA either this summer or next summer. It's almost like NHL GMs knew expansion was coming or something, right? But what it means for our Ingram question... it's just pointless right now. Until next season starts and we see who is signed where for what, you can't even put together a meaningful list. Only a minority of teams have their situation really clear. From here, it looks like Seattle could just buy an experienced goaltending tandem on the UFA market if they really wanted to. They still have to pick 3 goalies, though. But it's a fool's game to try to predict who those might be today. :blush:
I would look for several teams to sign guys to two year contracts because they are required to make a goalie available. Although I guess several will have one or two in the system they don't really want.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011

This! 100%
The kid has some major talent and seems to be well liked in Milwaukee so his “issues” seem to be behind him. Just focus on hockey Connor.

I think this kid has a very bright future and should definitely be considered more than a back up of the future. He’s putting up better numbers than guys who are considered stud future head goalies and is same age in the A.

Love this kid and cannot wait to see him and Juuse battle it out for head goalie one day soon!

This trade may go down as an even better trade than the Erat/Forsberg deal.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Both he and Grosenick had outstanding numbers with the Admirals (though obviously at 30-years-old Grosenick is less likely to be viewed as a "prospect".)

How much of those numbers were attributable to Ingram's ability and does he fit in the Predators plans (or for that matter Seattle's)?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Both he and Grosenick had outstanding numbers with the Admirals (though obviously at 30-years-old Grosenick is less likely to be viewed as a "prospect".)

How much of those numbers were attributable to Ingram's ability and does he fit in the Predators plans (or for that matter Seattle's)?

For your first question I don't have an answer. As for the second one, he's a part of our future tandem in goal with Saros. He's probably not going to get many games in the NHL next season because Rinne's contract runs through next year as well so I can't see Ingram drawing too much attention from Seattle.

Last edited:

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I hear all these horror stories about the virus being bad in Europe now. Record numbers.
How can their hockey leagues be open for business, even on a limited basis, and no leagues in US or Canada open?
I have the same questions about college football and the NFL versus the NHL.
Somebody is wrong. Who?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I hear all these horror stories about the virus being bad in Europe now. Record numbers.
How can their hockey leagues be open for business, even on a limited basis, and no leagues in US or Canada open?
I have the same questions about college football and the NFL versus the NHL.
Somebody is wrong. Who?

I think the biggest difference in the US for NFL and NCAA vs NHL is TV dollars.

The NFL has such a huge TV deal that they don't need ticket sales to make money. The NHL on the other hand still relies heavily on ticket sales to break even or profit. So unless the NHL can put a significant number of fans in the seats, they will lose money by playing games since they have to pay the players in that case.

In Europe I think they just have a vastly different economic system for their sports leagues. The dollars across the board are all much smaller. But I honestly don't know enough about it to say why or how they are able to run their leagues at the moment and wouldn't want to speculate with bad information.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I think the biggest difference in the US for NFL and NCAA vs NHL is TV dollars.

The NFL has such a huge TV deal that they don't need ticket sales to make money. The NHL on the other hand still relies heavily on ticket sales to break even or profit. So unless the NHL can put a significant number of fans in the seats, they will lose money by playing games since they have to pay the players in that case.

In Europe I think they just have a vastly different economic system for their sports leagues. The dollars across the board are all much smaller. But I honestly don't know enough about it to say why or how they are able to run their leagues at the moment and wouldn't want to speculate with bad information.
The other factor is the obsession in the US on football. It MUST be played.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The other factor is the obsession in the US on football. It MUST be played.
Well you are talking about a lot of peoples careers there too, which is one of the main reasons you see college football being pressed.

Plus this thing isn't going anywhere, even if we get a vaccine it isn't going anywhere. We as a people will need to learn to live with it and that includes sports teams as well. There is no magic bean coming to get rid of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad