Preds @ Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Exactly. I can't ****ing wait.

I also think you can't scratch Boro. He brings an element to this d corps that is unmatched. He'll stand up to anybody at the blueline both with his body and his mitts.

It's great to have a guy like Boro back there. Opposing players know they have to keep their heads up when he's on the ice. He's probably the most physical blueliner we've had since Volchenkov. At first I wasn't sure when they gave him that 3 year contract extension, but now I'm glad they did.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What strikes me the most in GDTs (when you take a big step back) is many people comment like they expect players to be perfect or near perfection... Flash news : All NHL players make mistakes and "will look bad" on some plays... they play against the best of the best after all.

So it means the Sens are a very good team? Because they beat some of the best teams by playing 1 good period. Not bad

Ya, They have to stop trying to make cute plays... Those 2 on 1s but also Chiasson on the PP. Be more decisive, just shoot and score. Even if the goalie stops the puck, at least sometimes you will score because you shot the puck. Fancy plays aren't as efficient. I know they are at home and want to give a show but shouldn't be like that when the game is close.

And Lehner, please improve your rebound control and stop falling on the ice. That's what you will have to do at some point to take the next step

Ironic much?

Lehner was the main reason we won.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I wouldn't complain if the team at least gave a 40 minute effort out there. The 1st period sucked, the 2nd period was awesome and the third period was garbage.

We can't win every game if we only put in a a 20 minute effort.

We beat a team who's been on hot fire. That means something, no matter how we did it. We played very bad 1st, excellent 2nd and 3rd was meh. Not bad against a team that's considered a powerhouse so far. We've done this so far against Det, Nash, Minnie, Tampa, almost Chicago and what-not.

Not bad at all. Methot should improve things drastically.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Here are my thoughts after 18 games

-We have a good record, but it's probably better than we deserve. Our goalies have been bailing us out big time. Great to receive this level of goaltending, but can we count on it all year long?
-We give up way too many shots. 35 again tonight. Thank Alfie for great goaltending, but we need to cut this down.
-We lack top end talent. We have a lot of "nice" players. Good second, third and fourth line types, but not many gamebreakers or legit first line guys. Love MacArthur and Turris, but they would be second liners on most teams.
-Our d was my biggest concern coming into the season, but I think they are getting better as we move along. Cowen has been great the past 2 weeks or so, Ceci has been a rock, Boro is solid most nights, and Gryba (who I was really down on last year) seems real good on the PK. Getting Meth back will be huge.
-I'd like to see us only go with 4 forwards on PP1. I don't like going with 4 forwards on both units. Feels like a recipe for giving up too many shorties.
-Why is Neil always on the ice in the final minute when we are winning?
-This team will be better in a couple of years when Neil, Phillips and Legwand are gone, and some of the youngsters have had more time. Hopefully some guys not on the big club will be playing here and playin well by then. Ex. Puempel

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
While the first period sucked, i honestly don't think the shot count was that bad until the 3rd period started. Now i don't really remember, but i don't really think there was a great difference in shot count between the teams after the 2nd period.

The 3rd period is when the Sens really started to give up a lot of shots. This has to do with just sitting on the breaks and holding on for dear life, which is what the Sens were pretty much doing in the third in my opinion.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Here are my thoughts after 18 games

-We have a good record, but it's probably better than we deserve. Our goalies have been bailing us out big time. Great to receive this level of goaltending, but can we count on it all year long?
-We give up way too many shots. 35 again tonight. Thank Alfie for great goaltending, but we need to cut this down.
-We lack top end talent. We have a lot of "nice" players. Good second, third and fourth line types, but not many gamebreakers or legit first line guys. Love MacArthur and Turris, but they would be second liners on most teams.
-Our d was my biggest concern coming into the season, but I think they are getting better as we move along. Cowen has been great the past 2 weeks or so, Ceci has been a rock, Boro is solid most nights, and Gryba (who I was really down on last year) seems real good on the PK. Getting Meth back will be huge.
-I'd like to see us only go with 4 forwards on PP1. I don't like going with 4 forwards on both units. Feels like a recipe for giving up too many shorties.
-Why is Neil always on the ice in the final minute when we are winning?
-This team will be better in a couple of years when Neil, Phillips and Legwand are gone, and some of the youngsters have had more time. Hopefully some guys not on the big club will be playing here and playin well by then. Ex. Puempel
I agree with pretty much all of this. I have an optimistic take on your third point (lack of top end talent): I think this team, unlike many others, can withstand injuries. It is a deep team of good but not great players. They can pretty much keep playing the same way no matter what happens.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
We played well and caught a break which resulted in a win. Our second goal should have probably been blown offside but kudos to Cowen for his reaction and long reach to make the goal possible. I'm happy he was rewarded with another good goal. Poise, patience, and he didn't miss. That was a very nice wrister. Michalek's pass through the top line and defensive pairing of the Preds was also very impressive. Nice vision.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I wouldn't complain if the team at least gave a 40 minute effort out there. The 1st period sucked, the 2nd period was awesome and the third period was garbage.

We can't win every game if we only put in a a 20 minute effort.

Do you really think we only gave a 20 minute effort? Effort does not equal dominating to me. Nashville is a good team, and they're playing hot right now. We are not going to dominate 60 minutes of a game this season, and if we do it will be far and few between.

The effort seems to be there to me.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The Sens depend to much on their goalies to win hockey games, for us to have a chance of winning our goalies have to be the #1 star of the game its a dangerous game.

When was the last game the Sens played a solid 60 minute hockey game? I'm telling you if we keep giving that amount of shots our goalies won't be able to keep up.

I bet you every win we have this season our goalie. was the #1 star of the game, we need a new defensive system coz this one is broken.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
well we did re-sign and chose to have two #1 goaltenders. not many teams can boast that

and methot would push other d down the pecking order to where they are better suited

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
One of the best games I've seen from Zib this season. Battled hard and actually carried the puck.

If he can find his grove like Cowen did, it will be amazing.

If that happens, Cowen and Zibanejad will be like signing two new top players for tis team, along with Methot when he gets back.

Our record is better than it should be, looking at how we've played - but at the same time, goalies are a huge part of hockey.

Wonder what Spezza is thinking now that Ottawa has fared much better than the supposed cotender he was traded to.:naughty:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Exactly. I can't ****ing wait.

I also think you can't scratch Boro. He brings an element to this d corps that is unmatched. He'll stand up to anybody at the blueline both with his body and his mitts.
Agree. He's also our best defender against the cycle. He's quick and assertive enough to cutoff passes in the corner or hit a player hard enough to create puck separation. Methot is good at that as well, but Boro absolutely does bring something to the lineup (as you mentioned above) that should keep him in the lineup.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
One of the best games I've seen from Zib this season. Battled hard and actually carried the puck.

If he can find his grove like Cowen did, it will be amazing.

If that happens, Cowen and Zibanejad will be like signing two new top players for tis team, along with Methot when he gets back.

Our record is better than it should be, looking at how we've played - but at the same time, goalies are a huge part of hockey.

Wonder what Spezza is thinking now that Ottawa has fared much better than the supposed cotender he was traded to.:naughty:
Agree about Zib, I thought this was a good game from him despite a few struggles with the puck. Made some great defensive plays and created a bit of offense. But more than anything, he looked quicker out there to me.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Started out shaky, but it turned into a really nice game for us. I really like seeing Lehner overcome any rust and put on a great performance. Cowen...did the spirit of Bobby Orr take over his body or something? Amazing the transformation in his play since being a scratch.

Team seems to be slowly getting into a decent groove and coming together. Going to be a few more years to hit our prime, but it's really nice seeing some all-around improvement in many areas. It feels like a year since the season started....so many ups and downs already.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
How was that third goal not goaltender interference? Cullen (i think) knocked Lehner's pad and pushed him like 3 feet in the other direction as the net. In the end it didn't matter but I feel like that is the most inconsistently called penalty right now, I can't wrap my head around it. If that was on Carey Price I guarantee that would have been called back.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Not enough talk on how Karlsson looked. Looks like the 4 or 5 days off rejuvenated him. Proof that he's getting played too much?

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Boro-Gryba
Phillips

Chiasson had a really good game. Goal and so many smart little plays. He knows where to always be.

WhiteLight*

Not enough talk on how Karlsson looked. Looks like the 4 or 5 days off rejuvenated him. Proof that he's getting played too much?

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Ceci
Boro-Gryba
Phillips

Chiasson had a really good game. Goal and so many smart little plays. He knows where to always be.

Karlsson looked phenomenal in the 2nd

Chiasson was bad in the 3rd. I'm starting to notice all his miscues and missed assignments in the D zone and had a couple of bad giveaways in the offensive zone. Skilled player, but man not responsible defensively

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Karlsson looked phenomenal in the 2nd

Chiasson was bad in the 3rd. I'm starting to notice all his miscues and missed assignments in the D zone and had a couple of bad giveaways in the offensive zone. Skilled player, but man not responsible defensively

IMO, it was just one of those games. Through all the other games he's played thus far, his defense has been fine. I haven't seen him make those kinds of mistakes up until last night.

WhiteLight*

IMO, it was just one of those games. Through all the other games he's played thus far, his defense has been fine. I haven't seen him make those kinds of mistakes up until last night.

That's possible.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
That's possible.

No, I think his defensive game is lacking. I know people hate the plus/minus stat but it does have some bearing. I think he'll improve, he's still young but he's not that great defensively.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Karlsson was really good last night .. even though we were gettign steamrolled in the third he was still making some really nice plays... he wasnt hesitating to get the puck out.. if he had to he was just getting off the boards.. for most of the season he has hesitated and held onto it for waaayy tooo long looking for the perfect pass, cant do that in your own zone...

zibanejad also played a pretty good game. saw he laid a few hits, thats what he has to do.

I already miss lazar.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I listened to this one on the radio driving through the Valley. Sounded like a roller coaster of momentum. The first 20 sounded particularly dreadful, but poor Greening, trying to play physical, and gets called just as we had momentum. Really unlucky start. There were 2 (according to Dean) blatant slashes that went uncalled later in the game, so go figure.

We got away with one on the second goal. Feels good man.

I just sifted through the GDT. Quotes that made me laugh:

Everyone looks awful

The whole team is lame ass

Why is Lazar scratched? Does Maclean have dementia?

tim peel is a goof

Main's quote wins:
I love seeing Cody Ceci's jersey tail flapping in the wind as he rushes up ice :)

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Boro has been very good, no way worse than Phillips

Boro hasn't been very good, he has played OK minutes on the 5/6 pairing with Gryba.

While he brings it physically every game, he has next to no puck skills and it is very noticeable against hard fore checking.

Phillips/Gryba would be a better overall pairing and IMO help Phillips' play due to reduce ice time.

It is not Phillips fault Methot got injured and the coaches decided he was the best possible partner for EK, probably due to his experience.

IMO Phillips can still be a very solid contributor to the D-core, he just can't be expected to avg. 23 minutes a game against the opposition's top six and look great.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Also, did TV show Laviolette throwing his tie on the ice during the commercial break after the offside goal? They discussed it on the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad