Dreger: Preds re-engage negotiations to re-sign Filip Forsberg

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
What is going on here… I can’t believe there isn’t more noise around Forsberg. He’s 27 years old, on a 56 goal pace for an 82 game season, he’s not signed, and there’s no chatter. Is he the best potential rental left in play?

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What is going on here… I can’t believe there isn’t more noise around Forsberg. He’s 27 years old, on a 56 goal pace for an 82 game season, he’s not signed, and there’s no chatter. Is he the best potential rental left in play?
Even if you got back a week he is.

However, if he's dealt, it's going to cost a lot.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Even if he were made available, who could else is left that would want him and cough up the necessary assets to acquire him?

Colorado?…
Our best forward to an in-division and potential first round opponent, it would take an enormous offer to even consider it.

The tweet is kind of random because Poile has sort of regularly mentioned (and it was also mentioned on broadcast tonight) they've been working on it and it seems to largely be hung up on numbers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Poile doesn't need to be in any rush. He already knows he'll be able to sign Forsberg. The player wants to stay, the teams wants him to stay, the team can pay him more than anybody else in the league could or would, it's all in the bag. The only reason it hasn't happened already is precisely because Poile knows it's inevitable. He is just doing due diligence to his ownership group and the fans to try to haggle the number and the clauses down to the lowest possible point he can achieve, but he already knows he has the player.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
Poile doesn't need to be in any rush. He already knows he'll be able to sign Forsberg. The player wants to stay, the teams wants him to stay, the team can pay him more than anybody else in the league could or would, it's all in the bag. The only reason it hasn't happened already is precisely because Poile knows it's inevitable. He is just doing due diligence to his ownership group and the fans to try to haggle the number and the clauses down to the lowest possible point he can achieve, but he already knows he has the player.
Just like he knew he was gonna be able to sign Suter? That still leaves a pit in my stomach because losing players of their caliber for nothing isn’t fun. Just my two cents. I say sign him or trade him but this oh he wants to be here but wait until the end of the year stuff isn’t worth the gamble to me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Just like he knew he was gonna be able to sign Suter? That still leaves a pit in my stomach because losing players of their caliber for nothing isn’t fun. Just my two cents. I say sign him or trade him but this oh he wants to be here but wait until the end of the year stuff isn’t worth the gamble to me.
Suter was a different time and different player, not sure how that's relevant at all.

But I'd keep Forsberg through the remainder of this season even if I was 100% certain he was going to leave the team in the summer too, so it wouldn't make any difference to me. Still, if you follow the team at all, I can't see how you could miss reading the "body language" here. Forsberg is definitely not going anywhere.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's got a full clip now that the deadline passed. Predators will have to pay his asking price or he walks. Player now has all the leverage. GM's never learn.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Forsberg leads the entire league in goals/60. Why does he get so little ice time?

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
The Cap is tight everywhere and dude is owed a pay day with no trade.....Not sure if any teams have cap space like that and the ones that do don't have good enough pieces to return in a trade. I have a feeling the Preds lucked out here due to all of the above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad