Post-Game Talk: Preds NHL Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
That could be said of any deadline acquisition, even the illustrious Stone. Santorelli and Franson weren't cancers by any stretch but definitely screwed up our chemistry that season.

I get what your saying. But duchene has a track record that is a lot scarier than any other acquisition we could move for. The guy clearly has some mad mojo or something.
How do the avs trade him and then become a top team after losing a top six centre? Then Ottawa was in esteem finals and brings in a piece like duchene and is now dead last?

I would much rather go in a different direction. If we get stone or panarin neither has a bad track record. Sure it could screw things up, but is less likely.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I get what your saying. But duchene has a track record that is a lot scarier than any other acquisition we could move for. The guy clearly has some mad mojo or something.
How do the avs trade him and then become a top team after losing a top six centre? Then Ottawa was in esteem finals and brings in a piece like duchene and is now dead last?

I would much rather go in a different direction. If we get stone or panarin neither has a bad track record. Sure it could screw things up, but is less likely.
Correlation=/=causation

Ottawa's conference final appearance was an anomaly based on their surrounding seasons and play. From all the Hoffman/Karlsson drama it was also clearly a disrupted locker room situation even before Duchene got there. Duchene played for a series of bottom-dwelling teams with some fluke playoff appearances before getting dealt into basically the same type of losing situation.

Now I'm of the mind that he may actually have some character issues, but I don't think there's compelling evidence to assume he would be disruptive.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Correlation=/=causation

Ottawa's conference final appearance was an anomaly based on their surrounding seasons and play. From all the Hoffman/Karlsson drama it was also clearly a disrupted locker room situation even before Duchene got there. Duchene played for a series of bottom-dwelling teams with some fluke playoff appearances before getting dealt into basically the same type of losing situation.

Now I'm of the mind that he may actually have some character issues, but I don't think there's compelling evidence to assume he would be disruptive.

The thing with the Hoffman/karlsson issue is that both are no longer with the organization anymore. And the sens are dead last in the league. It just scares me to spend the asking price on duchene given the concerns. The sens would want a ton for him and I think if we spend like that is needs to be on stone, or to a lesser degree, panarin.

Or we do not go after either and we go for simmonds, I think playing with subban would help not only simmonds but pk as well. The best two coloured players in the nhl (possibly ever) would be a pretty awesome thing to have!
I watch a ton of football and the coloured guys are so animated when they get touchdowns and get super pumped up! It’s amazing to see the energy!!
Maybe subban and simmonds could develop that same type of energy and the whole team would feed off of it!

I am not convinced that Boyle is the answer and that we can handle the jets physically now just because of him. He is essentially a replacement for Watson, who we had last season and got manhandled by the jets. We need to still add at least one more big skilled body (preferably stone as option 1, simmonds as option 2).

McLeod won’t even play in the playoffs unless we have injuries so don’t count on him.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The thing with the Hoffman/karlsson issue is that both are no longer with the organization anymore. And the sens are dead last in the league. It just scares me to spend the asking price on duchene given the concerns. The sens would want a ton for him and I think if we spend like that is needs to be on stone, or to a lesser degree, panarin.

Or we do not go after either and we go for simmonds, I think playing with subban would help not only simmonds but pk as well. The best two coloured players in the nhl (possibly ever) would be a pretty awesome thing to have!
I watch a ton of football and the coloured guys are so animated when they get touchdowns and get super pumped up! It’s amazing to see the energy!!
Maybe subban and simmonds could develop that same type of energy and the whole team would feed off of it!

I am not convinced that Boyle is the answer and that we can handle the jets physically now just because of him. He is essentially a replacement for Watson, who we had last season and got manhandled by the jets. We need to still add at least one more big skilled body (preferably stone as option 1, simmonds as option 2).

McLeod won’t even play in the playoffs unless we have injuries so don’t count on him.
i have a hard time justifying no on Duchene with nothing but circumstantial evidence he could be a problem, but everybody's "all-in" for the winger off the same crappy team, especially when costs are likely to be similar.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
i have a hard time justifying no on Duchene with nothing but circumstantial evidence he could be a problem, but everybody's "all-in" for the winger off the same crappy team, especially when costs are likely to be similar.

Stone is a big body, plays physically, stud defensively, can do it all. He’s a complete player. Imagine how much better he would be on our team when he has real talent to play with??

Plus he is from Winnipeg so he would stick it even harder to the jets and have some more preds fans cheering hard for us in their building (stone family and friends).

Reactions: SouthNash

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I am also quite interested in Ferland, if he’s actually available...

He would be a great fit here and could be had for reasonable cost.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Avs- top team? They were the 8th seed that snuck in the playoffs. Playing with that nothing to lose attitude can give ya some momentum which they got. Plus they have 1 of the best players in hockey. Cant blame only Duchene for that terrible season they had. Top team avs are 1 point from being last in the central and only 7 points more than this horrible sens team. On another note if I'm the avs I would start tanking now. Could you imagine the opportunity to get Hughes and kakko playimg along side McKinnon rants and landy. Whoa man

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Stone is a big body, plays physically, stud defensively, can do it all. He’s a complete player. Imagine how much better he would be on our team when he has real talent to play with??

Plus he is from Winnipeg so he would stick it even harder to the jets and have some more preds fans cheering hard for us in their building (stone family and friends).
I don't follow, why is it assumed he'd play harder against his hometown?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't follow, why is it assumed he'd play harder against his hometown?

Wouldn’t you? You would be playing in front of your friends and family. You think he’s gonna be like, oh I should just take it easy on these guys”. I think he would definitely not go that route.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Avs- top team? They were the 8th seed that snuck in the playoffs. Playing with that nothing to lose attitude can give ya some momentum which they got. Plus they have 1 of the best players in hockey. Cant blame only Duchene for that terrible season they had. Top team avs are 1 point from being last in the central and only 7 points more than this horrible sens team. On another note if I'm the avs I would start tanking now. Could you imagine the opportunity to get Hughes and kakko playimg along side McKinnon rants and landy. Whoa man

I meant playoff team by top team. As in the top half of the league that makes playoffs. Maybe I should be more specific as I see your point.

Mackinnon was putting up subpar numbers when duchene was there that last bit. But is not one of the best players in the league. Just seems fishy. All I am saying is why risk it?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Wouldn’t you? You would be playing in front of your friends and family. You think he’s gonna be like, oh I should just take it easy on these guys”. I think he would definitely not go that route.
I feel like it's pretty specious reasoning for supporting a trade either way. I'd be more concerned with whether a player would want to be in Nashville, which there's a lot of evidence to suggest Duchene would.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I feel like it's pretty specious reasoning for supporting a trade either way. I'd be more concerned with whether a player would want to be in Nashville, which there's a lot of evidence to suggest Duchene would.

Him being from Winnipeg is just a small part. The fact that he has a huge frame and plays physical, is an elite offensive first line forward on a bad tram (would be even better here with better linemates), is an amazing defensive player, he is also a leader. The guy is an all-round complete player. Would be great to have him in any playoff series let alone against the jets.

If we are moving tolvanen/fabbro and more, poile demands a pre negotiation with stone to get him extended before making the trade call.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I don't see why Stone of Duchene would sign an extension in a deadline trade when they are only a few months from UFA. If you like the team you are traded to you can resign after the season is over but otherwise explore your options.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't see why Stone of Duchene would sign an extension in a deadline trade when they are only a few months from UFA. If you like the team you are traded to you can resign after the season is over but otherwise explore your options.

Turris did it.

Just give them what they are worth, done deal. Unless for some reason they hate our city but in that case we don’t trade for them anyways. Nashville has a good rep, I wouldn’t be worried.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Panarin doesn’t have the size or defensive ability that stone does. I do not think he is all that much more talented really either.
Um. What?

Since coming to Columbus, Panarin has been a backchecking wizard. One of the best guys at it up here. Differently talented but I'd still count it as more - Stone seems to elevate folks around him, while Panarin has so much gamebreaking skill that he draws everyone's eye and enables your other guys.

The "he won't resign" consideration is totally 100% legit. But this is nonsense.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

Can't they get an extra year? I believe I saw 8 vs. only 7 in the open market.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Um. What?

Since coming to Columbus, Panarin has been a backchecking wizard. One of the best guys at it up here. Differently talented but I'd still count it as more - Stone seems to elevate folks around him, while Panarin has so much gamebreaking skill that he draws everyone's eye and enables your other guys.

The "he won't resign" consideration is totally 100% legit. But this is nonsense.

Panarin, might be a good backchecker but he's not on Stone's level defensively.

I don't know which I'd prefer, likely Panarin but Stone is far better defensively.

Reactions: maplepred

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Turris was acquired basically at the start of the season, not at the TDL.

A couple months difference really... he could have said nope, I’m going to hit free agency and try to cash in. Same as stone or panarin. It’s up to the player really what they decide they want to do. Which is why I said if you give him the dollar value he wants then why wouldn’t he sign? Unless he hates the city.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Um. What?

It is nonsense to put stone and panarin in the same conversation for defensive play. Have you watched them both?

Panarin cant hold a candle to the defensive game of stone nor can he bang bodies around like stone. Which is what we need in a jets series.

Their offensive numbers are both very close, I do not get the saying of panarin being elite and stone just being very good. Points per game is almost bang on.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN

I don't know which I'd prefer, likely Panarin but Stone is far better defensively.

For this season, I'd be happy with either even though I do think that Stone (when paired with Turris and Fiala) might be a better fit.

Beyond this season, there might be a chance to re-sign Stone while there appears to be no chance to re-sign Panarin. That fact strongly influences my preferences to Stone.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Strongly disagree. He delivers excellent results w/r/t getting the puck back and out of danger. He doesn't hit people, but he doesn't really need to.

* * *​
It is nonsense to put stone and panarin in the same conversation for defensive play. Have you watched them both?

Panarin cant hold a candle to the defensive game of stone nor can he bang bodies around like stone. Which is what we need in a jets series.

Their offensive numbers are both very close, I do not get the saying of panarin being elite and stone just being very good. Points per game is almost bang on.
If you think a more physical guy is needed, that's your prerogative. That doesn't make him somehow inherently "better"; it's just a different approach to getting the same result. And personally, I would disagree w/r/t that being a need.

Again, long-term intentions strike me as a valid criticism. If you want someone with more physical play, that's a legit difference as well, albeit one I don't see the point of going after for this team. But claiming Stone is overall better as a result is still silly. It's like attempting to insist that Turris is inherently better/more important than Arvidsson.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Strongly disagree. He delivers excellent results w/r/t getting the puck back and out of danger. He doesn't hit people, but he doesn't really need to.

* * *​

If you think a more physical guy is needed, that's your prerogative. That doesn't make him somehow inherently "better"; it's just a different approach to getting the same result. And personally, I would disagree w/r/t that being a need.

Again, long-term intentions strike me as a valid criticism. If you want someone with more physical play, that's a legit difference as well, albeit one I don't see the point of going after for this team. But claiming Stone is overall better as a result is still silly. It's like attempting to insist that Turris is inherently better/more important than Arvidsson.
And I'd say you are a we bit biased. Frankly I think Stone is the better fit and certainly much more a possibility long term.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And I'd say you are a we bit biased. Frankly I think Stone is the better fit and certainly much more a possibility long term.
Stone's my favorite player on the Sens; I'm having to fight bias both ways. ;)

That said, my current position bias ("get a LW, not a RW; RW depth is fine") might be a holdover from being a Jackets fan first. Either that or I'm just too used to folks not giving Smith the respect he deserves. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad