TSN: Preds listening to offers on Saros.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Oh so ignore stats and pay a boatload off a hunch?

I don't care if Saros gets traded or not, but this is a very disingenuous argument you're making. You're ignoring a player's entire career for half a season. Any time I see someone remove as much context as possible, I know they have their tinted glasses on and have no interest in an intelligent discussion. Good luck with it.

Reactions: jonu

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't care if Saros gets traded or not, but this is a very disingenuous argument you're making. You're ignoring a player's entire career for half a season. Any time I see someone remove as much context as possible, I know they have their tinted glasses on and have no interest in an intelligent discussion. Good luck with it.

No I’m not. I’m properly reading the volatility of the position, the cost to obtain, the player that I’ve known and trusted in for 3 years in Skinner. My statement seemed flippant through, but my follow up posts may illuminate my actual position.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why would I want the Goalie performing worse than Skinner?
This isn't the question you need to ask. The question is how would Saros numbers look on the Oilers. Doesn't much matter as there no way the Oilers are paying the asking price nor do they have the cap space without send Campbell back and cost to do that is just too much. Oilers will buy Campbell out in the summer and give Rodriguez a shot next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucks_oil

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
Because a career backup goalie had a single good night...?
OK, he's a bit of clunker, but he's been the one punching above his weight this season after the anomaly of LA's record road record start evaporated into reality.

He should be LA's All Star!

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You act as if these guys blew up Saros with a hat-trick each.
Grundström 8 goals in 48 games & a huge gap in scoring recently.
Lewis 6 goals in 48
Turcotte, 1st NHL goal since being drafted. 2019?

One lucky bounce? Sure. Those 3 guys on the 4th line burning Saros is frightening & at 2X 1st+ ask?

Probably just a bad night. Saros' numbers are down a bit this year. Can turn it around, sure. The ask is a huge gamble at his current level of play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
LA, Edmonton, New Jersey, and Toronto should be all over this.
It's easy to name teams, but there is a cap that has to be considered. I don't think Nashville will want a high priced vet in return, rather prospects and draft picks.

Reactions: funky

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
It's easy to name teams, but there is a cap that has to be considered. I don't think Nashville will want a high priced vet in return, rather prospects and draft picks.
The problem is there really isn’t a trade to be made. If Nashville was a truly bad team, sure you just take whatever you can get. As a mid though, it’s really hard to sell to your fans that you’re just giving up on 2+ seasons unless you get a potential core piece back.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And of the listed teams, only New Jersey has the magnitude of prospects it would take. Edmonton certainly doesn't. LA or Toronto would need to try something in terms of "quantity", but that's also not what Nashville would need as they are looking more for quality.

The odds of a deal meeting the required parameters on all sides are basically nil. Nobody is going to trade what it would take to get Saros, and Nashville isn't going to relax their ask because they're in a playoff hunt and have no motivation to move Saros except at a franchise-altering overpay. So it's the same stalemate it always has been. Practically speaking, Saros simply isn't really "available" therefore. Except in the most pedantic sense that "every player is available... for the right price". But it does generate clicks I guess.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Edmonton doesn't have the prospects and I doubt they would spend what little they have on Saros anyways.
Skinner career .912 Sv% 2.6m 25-26
Saros career .917Sv% 5.0m 24-25
Oh, and Saros also shit the bed in his rookie playoff showing and has always had a much stronger defense in front of him. Skinner isn't better than him but Saros isn't enough of an upgrade or worth the assets to acquire/fit in the cap

Ideally, the Oilers pick up MAF

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
PLD and he comes with term!

Seriously though, Roy or Spence, 2024 1st, any goalie in LA roster, JAD as a toss in.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Saros likely goes to NJ IMO...they have the pieces to get him, that said Trotz will likely fleece any GM with a Saros trade...

agreed and that is why NJ is IMO where he will land...

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Edmonton doesn't have the prospects and I doubt they would spend what little they have on Saros anyways.
Skinner career .912 Sv% 2.6m 25-26
Saros career .917Sv% 5.0m 24-25
Oh, and Saros also shit the bed in his rookie playoff showing and has always had a much stronger defense in front of him. Skinner isn't better than him but Saros isn't enough of an upgrade or worth the assets to acquire/fit in the cap

Ideally, the Oilers pick up MAF
.912 in under 100 games is not the same as .917 in over 300.

In his 2nd playoffs Saros was the biggest reason Preds managed to put up a fight against Canes with two impressive 50+ save OT wins.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't really have any concerns over Saros's ability to bounce back and be a long term starter that is perennial top 10 at his position. If we move him it's because his deal doesn't align with our rebuild, we need the assets, and Askarov has done nothing but look like the high end goalie prospect we drafted.

Askarov still needs to quiet his game, in the words of Trotz, but he's looking destined for a starter job.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
PLD and he comes with term!

Seriously though, Roy or Spence, 2024 1st, any goalie in LA roster, JAD as a toss in.
Still can’t make the cap work if it is Spence. Would need to three team trade with Roy going to the third team.

Roy would be worth a first at the trade deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad