Proposal: Preds - Leafs

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If the goal is just to make playoffs then yes youll be fine
Finished with a better GA than the Caps and Lightning. And the Leafs were actually 7th in GA once Dermott came up.

Him with a full year and no Polak will work wonders.

Defense isn't that big of an issue, especially since team defense matters far more and that will improve with Bozak + JVR gone and Tavares in

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Subban had the 4th highest CF of the Preds D-man last year, also 4th in TOI%QoC among the defenders on his team and 3rd in CF%TOI. He's not the Preds best d-man.

Saying Gardiner is the best D-man on the Leafs is false because the stats show that is clearly Rielly. Saying Subban isn't the best D-man on the Preds is true for the same reasons
Oh, you're one of those. Got it. Could be worse for you, I suppose. :dunno:

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Pretty simple biases in play here.

Other teams really undervalue marner like really undervalue. The kid is untouchable like matthews is to our franchise. To me it goes untouchable list.

1.Matthews
2.Marner
3.Tavares
4.Nylander
5.reilly
6.Anderson

We under value other teams defence man, like really undervalue.

Nylander isn't getting traded 135 points in 180 games il keep that.

Reactions: Viqsi and DanM

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
LOL aka I don't know what I'm talking about and I don't understand numbers.
Or I don't cherry pick weakly-supported numbers and ignore all others and other indicators in order to support my own predisposed opinion. Good for you that you wish to use a couple of weak metrics in one regular season that happen to support your pre-formed position, without looking at all other factors and statistics, and ignoring the consensus opinion amongst NHL experts and those who actually watch the players play. Good for you. I can tell you don't know what you're talking about and don't understand numbers. Or hockey. Good for you that you have the courage to post such nonsense here anyway. You're special!
:thumbu:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Subban had the 4th highest CF of the Preds D-man last year, also 4th in TOI%QoC among the defenders on his team and 3rd in CF%TOI. He's not the Preds best d-man.

Saying Gardiner is the best D-man on the Leafs is false because the stats show that is clearly Rielly. Saying Subban isn't the best D-man on the Preds is true for the same reasons

The difference between 1st and 4th on the Preds in TOI QoC is literally 12 seconds. Subban dragged Emelin around for 45+ games, check his numbers with and without Emelin and then check Emelin's numbers with and without Subban. Why don't you re-check those numbers for the playoffs? When the games mattered the most and Subban had a qualified defense partner. People like you that use only the simplest advanced stats with no context are every bit as bad as the people that bury their heads in the sand and ignore them all.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Nylander looked soft in the playoffs. Subban was the exact opposite in the playoffs the last 2 seasons. I would hate to move our best defender who can eat heavy minutes for a 190lb "center".

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nylander looked soft in the playoffs. Subban was the exact opposite in the playoffs the last 2 seasons. I would hate to move our best defender who can eat heavy minutes for a 190lb "center".

Which playoffs?

He was fine against the caps.

Against the Bruins he didn't look great, but I would also bet that because he is young, and it was only his second playoffs, he is bound to improve.... since he is not in his prime yet at all.

Or we could just say that a second full year player, who was fine in his first playoffs, will of course only be defined as a soft player until he retires....

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Trade for an elite top 10 defenseman while keeping the best assets? Bold.

Hence why the trade would never happen. Subban also has his warts, but I like him a lot.

Trading for this caliber of Dman is stupid in today's game, just keep drafting well, developing well, and when a deal presents itself, and you don't break the bank, you make it.

I like what the B's have done, you guys have hit pretty well on the backend prospects.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
The difference between 1st and 4th on the Preds in TOI QoC is literally 12 seconds. Subban dragged Emelin around for 45+ games, check his numbers with and without Emelin and then check Emelin's numbers with and without Subban. Why don't you re-check those numbers for the playoffs? When the games mattered the most and Subban had a qualified defense partner. People like you that use only the simplest advanced stats with no context are every bit as bad as the people that bury their heads in the sand and ignore them all.

Subban isn't the only elite D-man that has to carry around a sub par partner in the NHL.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'd love to have Subban on the Leafs. Probably the most entertaining player in the league. Not sure I;d trade Marner for him though

Elite D's are not worth trading for. I am a firm believer in drafting and developing, and deals will present themselves in time, ones that won't deplete assets.

I would rather add another solid RHD that may not be elite, but will play smart in his own end, and allow Reilly to keep progressing. Plus we have prospects in the pipeline, and most posters on here won't be familiar with many I bet, or have watched them play.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Which playoffs?

He was fine against the caps.

Against the Bruins he didn't look great, but I would also bet that because he is young, and it was only his second playoffs, he is bound to improve.... since he is not in his prime yet at all.

Or we could just say that a second full year player, who was fine in his first playoffs, will of course only be defined as a soft player until he retires....

Yes the B's series. He got pushed off the puck and looked to hold it too long. I never said he wouldn't change, improve, or that he wasn't a good player. I like Subban for what we need now and that's a 1D who can eat minutes in the playoffs. No slight on Nylander. I don't think this trade makes sense. I think a lesser move for a more rough and tumble player made more sense...like a JVR or a Simmonds type. Those guys would better compliment our current roster without having to give up such a large piece.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes the B's series. He got pushed off the puck and looked to hold it too long. I never said he wouldn't change, improve, or that he wasn't a good player. I like Subban for what we need now and that's a 1D who can eat minutes in the playoffs. No slight on Nylander. I don't think this trade makes sense. I think a lesser move for a more rough and tumble player made more sense...like a JVR or a Simmonds type. Those guys would better compliment our current roster without having to give up such a large piece.

Agreed

Or a lesser RHD that plays a solid game in his own end, and would't cost the farm.

Missing out on maximizing trade value on the JVR'S and Bozak's of the world really pissed me off lol but I can see why they didn't trade them as well.

I just think any team trading for an Elite D will be giving up too many assets, and I just don't think it's worth it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'd love to have Subban on the Leafs. Probably the most entertaining player in the league. Not sure I;d trade Marner for him though

Agreed. I would trade Nylander, but it would hurt, especially considering where they are in their careers. I think I would regret it in 2-3 years if we didn't win a cup with Sube.

Reactions: DanM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad