GDT: PREDS @ CANES: The pre-season finale

With the off-season ending lets reflect and everybody choose a favorite "Hot Taek" from the summer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The real question is why run if you're not being paid millions of dollars to do so.

New Brain Effects behind "Runner's High"

Although I've run off and on for probably 20 years and never experienced this "runner's high". Most of the time I did enjoy it and occasionally it felt like I could keep going forever, but never got this runner's high.

Now, my old joints hurt too much when I run so I don't run much at all.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Although I've run off and on for probably 20 years and never experienced this "runner's high". Most of the time I did enjoy it and occasionally it felt like I could keep going forever, but never got this runner's high.

Same. My joints hurt a lot. It got me more into biking.... interesting i never got a runners high but have recently been using a sauna and it seems to give me a runners high along with the nice detox.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Tripp uses a sauna?

He went on and on about it when the Canes went to Finland so it was a running joke for a while.

I could be one of our Finnish or Russian overlords. Saunas are quite popular in those parts.

Where I grew up, Saunas were very popular and lot of homes and peoples camps had them. There was a large contingent of Finnish immigrants that had come to the area years before which is why they were so popular.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We got one in the plant I work in. We paint steel and our painting operators mess with paints and solvents, so it's a nice excuse for having a sauna that they need to be deep-cleansed after the shift.

If I sweat at work, it happens mainly there.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Same. My joints hurt a lot. It got me more into biking.... interesting i never got a runners high but have recently been using a sauna and it seems to give me a runners high along with the nice detox.

You could always get high, then start running. Recommend less populated areas for this.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Running sucks as an exercise. Especially if you're not eating right. It's a real easy way to burn muscle instead of fat and damage your joints at the same time. You get the same "high" from a workout with weights, burn fat, increase muscle mass and improve mobility all at the same time. And if you do it with enough intensity, you can get the same aerobic benefit as well.

Honestly, the only thing running is good for is to get better at running. If your goal is to be a runner, then by all means, run. Go farther, go faster, whatever floats your boat. But using running as a means to get fit is a bad idea.

IMO.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Running sucks as an exercise. Especially if you're not eating right. It's a real easy way to burn muscle instead of fat and damage your joints at the same time. You get the same "high" from a workout with weights, burn fat, increase muscle mass and improve mobility all at the same time. And if you do it with enough intensity, you can get the same aerobic benefit as well.

Honestly, the only thing running is good for is to get better at running. If your goal is to be a runner, then by all means, run. Go farther, go faster, whatever floats your boat. But using running as a means to get fit is a bad idea.

IMO.

I've never been fully into running. It's just not my thing, and I don't enjoy it. I've done the couch to 5k thing, and it feels good to finally run a 5k and all but I agree, rough on the knees. I'll take strength training, and cardio at a gym over that any day.

I also want to exact some measure of road rage towards people I see with the running distance stickers. I especially like the ones with a Christian fish right next to it. It's like just put a sticker on that says "I'm better than you" and get it over with.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

IMO.

This!!

I try to explain to people the concept of lifting vs running, and it’s like it’s in one ear and out the other.

I can run, I just don’t feel like it for joint issues. If I run a lot, my joints are on fire. I bike ride, as well as use a rowing machine for cardio workouts.

My gym has saunas, steam rooms, and hot tubs. I usually either do the hot tub or steam room. I’ll start using the saunas as the seasons change.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I also want to exact some measure of road rage towards people I see with the running distance stickers. I especially like the ones with a Christian fish right next to it. It's like just put a sticker on that says "I'm better than you" and get it over with.

IMG_20130412_1844302.jpg

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Running is not for everyone, but even powerlifters/bodybuilders need to do some cardio. Having tons extra weight whether it's muscle or fat isn't great for your heart, and doing cardio certainly helps with cardiovascular health. Doesn't mean you need to train for a marathon, but I think everyone should strive to be able to do a 5k if not 10k. No time goal necessary, just be able to finish it.

I do weight lifting twice a week as a runner. It's basically the opposite for me. Weight lifting (at least with actual barbells and olympic lifts) is what's boring to me, and I really enjoy running. I used to hate exercising because most of my friends would do weight lifting only, and it wasn't until I started running I began to enjoy being active. Body weight exercise isn't as boring to me but I find there's a limit to it so I supplement with weights.

I find both runners and weight lifters seem to gravitate too far towards one side. I don't see the point of being able to bench press 400 lbs if you can barely run a mile or two, and I also don't really see the point in being able to run a marathon but not be able to do 2 or 3 dozen push ups or whatever. Balance is key.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I annoy everyone around me every few weeks or so when someone brings up running, and I start singing the praises of swimming for cardiovascular exercise. it's literally the best method of exercise in the world. you utilize pretty much every muscle in your body when you do it right, and with practically zero impact on your joints. and submerging your face in the water compels you to develop rhythmic breathing which is a huge part of the point in the first place.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Like I said, I was a casual runner off and on (more off than on) for about 20 years. I didn't do it seriously, nor did I train for races. There would be times I'd run a couple times a week and times I'd run a few times a year. I enjoyed it most of the time because I never did too much of it nor was it the only exercise I did. I would combine it with weight training, elliptical, rowing, hockey, walking, biking, yoga, etc...

As Canesinducedcoma said, I thought balance was the key. I didn't enjoy running on roads very much though. Preferred to go to Umstead, Harris lake, American Tobacco trail and places like that. Gave it up a few years ago because my joints didn't like it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I annoy everyone around me every few weeks or so when someone brings up running, and I start singing the praises of swimming for cardiovascular exercise. it's literally the best method of exercise in the world. you utilize pretty much every muscle in your body when you do it right, and with practically zero impact on your joints. and submerging your face in the water compels you to develop rhythmic breathing which is a huge part of the point in the first place.

That is true, I just absolutely hate swimming. The closest I've found where 1 exercise has a similar effect is a rowing machine. 20 minutes of rowing at a hard pace with some tension on the fly wheel is a killer and it gets most of your body.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Swimming is fun for me but I find the pool is always super crowded, so you have to share lanes or even take turns to swim laps, unless you can find a pool that opens at like 4 or 5 AM which still sucks. That's still probably better than swimming in the ocean or lake which always makes me anxious or scared of brain eating amoeba or whatever else is out there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Running is popular because it's free.

I also suspect it's popular because you can do it publicly, and hence show off. But I spend 80% of my time in downtown Chapel Hill/UNC.

OTOH, I used to do weekly 5k's in Umstead last year (out of shape as hell now), and I quickly learned the very good reason people run shirtless.

I prefer swimming and stationary cycling to running for my cardio (swimming is a full body workout and prevents muscle atrophy).

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Swimming is fun for me but I find the pool is always super crowded, so you have to share lanes or even take turns to swim laps
I get that as a demerit against running which can be such a solitary exercise. but having to share a lane isn't exactly overcrowded. the YMCA I go to here in the city has 3 dedicated swimming lanes, and I'm often sharing lanes with 4-5 other swimmers. it's not that big of a deal, and you can still get your laps in with minimal passing drama.

That's still probably better than swimming in the ocean or lake which always makes me anxious or scared of brain eating amoeba or whatever else is out there.
just stay away from Gaston County or the whitewater center in the Catawba river and you'll be fine

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Running is stupid if you're old and fat. All you'll end up doing is wrecking your knees/ankles/shins and you won't lose any weight.

If I cut down on my sugar and do rowing machine or stationary bike at the Y for an hour a day, I can drop 25-30 pounds in a couple of months. I just can't ever manage to stick to it. I lose my weight, I get complacent, I gain it all back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad