Preds best and worst trade?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
What's your thoughts?
Here is mine,

Worst,
We traded Ottawa a first (Erik Karlsson) for a first (pickard) and a third (beck)

Best,
Obviously erat and latta for forsberg

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
What's your thoughts?
Here is mine,

Worst,
We traded Ottawa a first (Erik Karlsson) for a first (pickard) and a third (beck)

Best,

The Ottawa trade by itself wasn't bad as trading the 15th pick for the 18th and a 3rd is not a bad trade given that we had the 7th pick where we chose Colin Wilson. The bad choice was by Poile in taking Pickard with the 18th instead of Jordan Eberle who was still available. It is doubtful we would have even chosen Karlsson with that pick as Poile had his eye on another D man that we got in the 2nd round and his name was Roman Josi. It is hard to judge trading draft picks because at the time you don't know how these guys would turn out and if the GM's would have taken someone different with the original pick. I would consider Pickard one of Poile worst draft pick choices more then worst trade.

I agree on the Best even though Sullivan was one of his best trades.

Worst just because it was last year was Franson and Santorelli for a 1st and Lepsic

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I HATED THE PICKARD PICK. Oh man. I remember that draft lead up and on draft day very well. I remember hearing Pierre Mcguire saying the Predators would pick Pickard, and then distinctly laughing out loud at the absurdity of it. I felt certain the Predators were taking Eberle or Karlsson. Prior to trading back, I felt certain EK was our pick. Then we traded back and picked Pickard. I about lost my mind. The crazy thing, at the time, was how many picks we had been spending on goaltenders in the previous years (all busts by the way).

What a poor decision by Poile that year.

The Josi pick though ..... :D

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
What's your thoughts?
Here is mine,

Worst,

Best,

The first pick was a good trade as we picked up a free 3rd rounder for dropping down 3 spots in the middle of the draft. I'd do that trade any day. In hindsight, it sucks because Karlsson turned into Karlsson. But that's just luck of the draft - we did the same thing with Josi - trading 2 lower picks to trade up to pick him.

The worst trade, IMHO, was Klein for MDZ. Klein is still exactly who we thought he was, a rock solid 2nd pair D. MDZ, for whatever reason, last 25 games and completely washed out here, and has gone on at least become a regular in New York and Philly.

We have nothing to show for a high value asset in Klein, and bungled MDZ for whatever reason.

More draft wackiness - we traded Patrick Sharp away for Andy Delmore (we gave Philly a 3rd for Delmore which was the Sharp pick).

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
the thing is, any superstar players we might have drafted in the very early years would likely have not been able to be retained under the Leipold regime or the early years of the current ownership group.

while in a way its making your perception fit history, the truth is it woked out just as well that we didn't have a Lecavalier, Kovalchuk, Nash, or Heatley early in our existence... would have been quite disheartening to the fan base to lose them over money

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Another trade that I HATED:

Cody Franson and Matthew Lombardi for Brett Lebda and Robert Stanley. It was said this was for $$$ reasons, and the $$$ saved would be applied back into the team. It was also said this was because Lombardi may never play again ....

Lombardi started game 1 of the season. We immediately bought out Brett Lebda and incurred over 1 million in cap charge, strongly negating the money saved for Lombardi (3 million). Lombardi was then dealt for a fourth round pick.

Franson as we know eventually cost us a first round pick, and he was a very effective defenseman (AND AFFORDABLE) for another 3-4 seasons.

Stanley never played for the Predators.

We never used any of the cap room or cap space which was only about 1.4-1.6 million overall.

We basically were completely bent over backwards on this deal.
---

A positive trade has to be the Steve Sullivan deal. Love that trade. Sully for 2 second round picks.

The Forsberg trade was amazing. Easily one of the best deals of the last 15-20 years for any team. It was a clear win, even from the get go. It is an unmitigated disaster for the Capitals.

James Neal for Hornqvist/Spaling was a smart trade to me as well. It made our team a much better possession team, and it gave us a true goal scorer.

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Forsberg and the Sullivan trade are the obvious ones but some of the early expansion draft moves were some good ones too. I believe we got Timonen and Vokoun in some deals.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Forsberg and the Sullivan trade are the obvious ones but some of the early expansion draft moves were some good ones too. I believe we got Timonen and Vokoun in some deals.
Yes these were definitely 2 of the best... Timonen and Vopat from LA for future considerations. And Vokoun was an expansion draft pickup from Montreal.

I mean, yeah, obviously the Filip Forsberg trade and Sullivan trade were 2 of the best with immediate impact.

I like the Legwand for Jarnkrok (+ Patrick Eaves, 2nd rd pick which was traded for 2 other picks that were turned into Jack Dougherty and Anthony Richard) trade.

I still hate that Lombardi/Franson for nothing trade. And the Klein trade.

We got Ronning for futures - good, but then traded him for Karalahti - bad.

I hate the Hartnell/Timonen trade. I understand why, but only getting one first round pick for BOTH was awful. At least for Vokoun we got 3 draft picks.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The first pick was a good trade as we picked up a free 3rd rounder for dropping down 3 spots in the middle of the draft. I'd do that trade any day. In hindsight, it sucks because Karlsson turned into Karlsson. But that's just luck of the draft - we did the same thing with Josi - trading 2 lower picks to trade up to pick him.

The worst trade, IMHO, was Klein for MDZ. Klein is still exactly who we thought he was, a rock solid 2nd pair D. MDZ, for whatever reason, last 25 games and completely washed out here, and has gone on at least become a regular in New York and Philly.

We have nothing to show for a high value asset in Klein, and bungled MDZ for whatever reason.

More draft wackiness - we traded Patrick Sharp away for Andy Delmore (we gave Philly a 3rd for Delmore which was the Sharp pick).

Yep- still have no idea what we were thinking with the Klein trade. Why, why, why???? Made no sense.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Everyone was thinking Klein was going to be moved for offensive help. That made sense. But moving Klein for a defenseman that was left handed to "balance it out" was just ugh. And then giving up on MDZ after 25 games.

Erat for Forsberg obviously. As I'm sure many of you know, I hated the Franson/Santorelli trade last year.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Klein had just signed a nice deal with us too, he was committed to the Preds, he wanted to be here when some others obviously didn't. MDZ is now much more complete and the #1 guy (albeit in Philly)... To not get ANYTHING for him, even at that point of his career is absurd. That's the worst deal Poile made solely based on the end result.

Erat for Forsberg is a clear winner for best.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Everyone was thinking Klein was going to be moved for offensive help. That made sense. But moving Klein for a defenseman that was left handed to "balance it out" was just ugh. And then giving up on MDZ after 25 games.

Erat for Forsberg obviously. As I'm sure many of you know, I hated the Franson/Santorelli trade last year.

+1

I agree with this entire post!

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

I am with you on Franson. It may not be objectively the worst trade ever, but it the one I dislike the most.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I didn't think the Franson and Santorelli (that sounds like a beatnik music duo) was that bad at the time.

Franson was perhaps the top D-man available at the trade deadline (with Ryan Ellis hurt long term), and Santo was a bottom sixer scoring at just over .50 ppg.

The price for both was a meh-prospect in Leipsic and the 24th pick in the draft which turned out to be a B+ prospect himself in Travis Konecny.

It didn't work, but at the time it was a low-cost swing for the fences move that I have a hard time faulting Poile for.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
I like the Barb Murphy 7th Man ad. Worst trade? Didnt we trade someone to the Kings for a heroin addict?

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I didn't think the Franson and Santorelli (that sounds like a beatnik music duo) was that bad at the time.

Franson was perhaps the top D-man available at the trade deadline (with Ryan Ellis hurt long term), and Santo was a bottom sixer scoring at just over .50 ppg.

The price for both was a meh-prospect in Leipsic and the 24th pick in the draft which turned out to be a B+ prospect himself in Travis Konecny.

It didn't work, but at the time it was a low-cost swing for the fences move that I have a hard time faulting Poile for.

Yep- there is a lot of revisionist history going on regarding that trade. I know there were some mixed reactions on here at the time, but by no means was it 100% against. And the rest of the hockey world thought it was a good trade- almost everyone had us in the "winners" column in post trade deadline articles. I distinctly remember one article where it said the Preds "are just showing off now- best record in the league and now add 2 of the most sought after trade pieces??"

And it is true- both of those guys were highly coveted and if it hadn't been us, someone else would have picked them up.

Of course we know now that the trade was a complete disaster, but at the time it wasn't.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Klein, witt, gaustad, and giving up our first last year.

no one lecture me about gaustad re signing.. we over paid when we did and his role can be filled at near league minimum.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Klein, witt, gaustad, and giving up our first last year.

no one lecture me about gaustad re signing.. we over paid when we did and his role can be filled at near league minimum.

Scary thing is we could've iced an entire 4th line for what we paid Goose and still had money left over.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
While all these trades were great the one that got me the most pumped was adding Peter Forsberg. I was heading over to a friends house to have dinner with him and his family and all I could keep saying was we got Peter f'in Forsberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad