Predictions Thread

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This year should be another year where this team makes a run, possibly the window closes after this season due to the cap and the Rangers losing their cheaper value contracts. I fully expect this team to contend and win the Atlantic again, with a so-so first half of the season and a very strong second half when guys find their roles.

With that said here are some select predictions, more to be added later.

Kreider: Contract year, and the book on him is out as far as not showing up every game. While the masses have yet to give him the Kovalev treatment, he's development curve reminds me a lot of Kovalev, flashes of dominance thrown in with weeks long stretches of passive play. He's a smart kid, and knows he can cash in big time with a good season. He shows up every night and scores 30. 30-25-55 Lots of hits, and a great +/-

Hayes: Hockey pedigree helps him out as he knows the game and listened to his mentors so he was one of the few collegiate players that was physically prepared for the long season. I think that background helps him further and this year he becomes a better shooter and puck protector. Using size, speed, skill as an advantage he becomes the Rangers breakout player offensively while still getting favorable match-ups. 22-40-62

Nash- Big Rick had a phenomenal start to the year and somehow forgot to drive the net for stretches in the 2nd half and the playoffs. This year the big man diets better than ever but plays as a bit of a pacer rather than his streaky self. Due to his lack of desire to park himself in front of the net on the PP he loses his minutes to Kreider and Hayes, and experiences a dip in scoring thanks to more EV and PK time. 33-30-63

Stepan- D-Step is Bergeron without the faceoff wins the oh so sexy advanced stat metrics. He realizes that he needs to become better on draws and improves there, but still doesn't break 50%. Since he spends the most of his time next to Nash on the PK or Kreider on the PP and EV he racks up the assists and leads the team in scoring. 18-47-65

Brassard- Ain't no more Jekyll and Hyde play out of Brassard and more prime PP time helps his offensive numbers grow. With 3 centers in the line up that can take d-zone assignements in Stoll, Lindberg, and Moore on a given night, Brassard gets more offensive chances and is always put in an offensive role. 16-40-56

Zuccarello- Not having to play behind MSL in offensive situations Zucc gets more PP time and offensive zone time. The Rangers end up with more of a traditional top 6 and bottom 6 set up this season and Zucc reaps the offensive looks. 15-40-55

Miller- Having discovered his game last season, this year he discovers his role. No he doesn't break out offensively, but becomes a power winger that gives a solid top 9 effort. His minutes are limited to EV since he doesn't establish himself as a PK guy, and doesn't produce on the PP. 15-12-27

Stalberg- Quietly becomes the team's replacement for Hagelin, counted on defensively, and a guy that drives the net hard. Slowly but surely he becomes a favorite of Hank and AV as a key PK guy and a guy that transports the puck from the d-zone for an offensive zone faceoff. 12-12-24

Moore- Does what he does. 8-10-18

Stoll- The legs keep him from becoming more than a 4th liner, but he finally gives the Rangers a guy that can win draws from the right circle in the d-zone. Becomes a key PKer and faceoff guy that AV puts out there to protect leads. Also becomes a guy that establishes zone time with some dump and chase hockey giving the Rangers a different look. 5-5-10

Fast- Rangers other breakout winger, albeit not offensively. He realizes the need to get more pucks to the net, and develops a shoot first mentality. His speed, and defensive IQ sees to it that he gets his fair share of ice time, but just doesn't see power play duty until the end of the year when Arniel finally puts him out there for a RH shot. Surprises fans with goalscoring out put, but becomes a favorite of AV. 18-15-33

Etem- Gets the Miller treatment since doesn't fill a role and is a part time player for the bulk of the 1st half. Rangers coaches try to coach him up but realize he is the new age tweener. Not skilled enough for the top 6, not smart enough for the bottom 6. He becomes the guy that's first in on injuries or moves up the line up if one of Miller-Kreider-Stalberg don't bring it. Becomes trade bait at the deadline 8-8-16

Lindberg- A perfect utility player for AV he becomes a guy that they trust with leads and serves as a player that the coaches use to switch looks. Primary plays in defensive roles in the manner that Kruger gets used by CHI his offensive numbers aren't high, but he becomes a key cog in the line up playing both center and wing before becoming an everyday center. 9-14-23

Glass- Actually plays in the NHL until November before providing partial cap relief and veteran leadership down in HFD. Traded at the deadline for Joe Vitale 0-0-0

McD- He's back but not in a prime offensive role. Loses PP time to Yandle and Boyle but is still a prime defenseman. With less pressure of the captaincy, he feels more comfortable and skates like he can every game. Coaching philosophy changes a bit and he's given more of a green light to go and dominates at even strength while shutting down top players. Some on HFNYR pray every night that he doesn't play with Girardi while posting chart after chart during the day. 10-25-35 with a monster +/-

Girardi- does what he does, goes up against top players, shuts them down, blocks shots, doesn't make mistakes and is heavily criticized on these forums on an hourly basis. Still ends up playing top pair minutes on a winning team that gives up the 2nd or 3rd fewest goals in all of hockey. Comes into camp a few pounds lighter after going Paleo in order become more mobile. 4-17-21

Staal- Coaches give him tougher assignments when they see he's going. Feels more rejuvenated this season at being able to man handle lower competition and gets to a point where he and McD alternate between the tough match-ups freeing up McD for more offensive situations at EV. Gets green light to carry puck up like he used to, possession metrics improve, but is still whipped for his cap hit. 3-18-21

Yandle- Gets a full 2 min on the PP, and sheltered d-zone starts and flat out molests lower tier competition. Serves as the teams x-factor in matchups and by mid-season gets an unconditional green light from the coaches. Debate on whether to trade him or not subsides due to the Rangers not getting secondary and tertiary offense from depth forwards. 6-50-56

Boyle- Still plays with a chip on his shoulder and is healthy this season. Gets PP time and plenty of offensive zone looks. Develops chemistry with forwards and has more of the set plays he used to in SJ for tips and screened shots. Since he doesn't have to get used to a new system this year he plays with a lot more consistency. 12-32-44

Klein- Quietly becomes a better offensive player like he showed signs of last year because he's better able to take advantage of match ups. The speed on the Rangers bottom 6 establish zone time and he's not faced with going up against top 6 competition while lining up with Yandle. 7-20-27

McIlrath- Forces team to decide whether or not to sneak him through waivers or play him during injuries and spot duty. Finally decides to not try and prove his toughness with staged fights, and starts wrecking guys. Sees time on a limited basis when Rangers dress 7 D like Tampa and fills in for injuries.

Diaz- Teammates and coaches like him, but he doesn't do much to push the top 6. Question becomes as to who serves as the cheerleader, him or McIlrath. The latter's skillset and willingness to punish other players becomes the winning factor after both show competent play during pre-season. Ends up back in Switzerland by Christmas and enjoys a very long career there.

Hank

Raanta- Turns out to be a very emotional player that cares about winning. Initial start is good but then loses a couple of games for the team and Hank gets mad. Raanta channels his inner rage into becoming a tougher practice goalie, and pushes guys in practice. Ends up winning some games, consistently beating the NJ devils but doesn't play like he can steal games.

Team wins Metro, finishes 2nd in the East behind Tampa. Makes a couple of moves at the Deadline to add scoring and veteran depth.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i predict 5 things.

1. this team won't score enough as presently constructed. we lack finishers and we lack a true power guy with hands. ck, nash and kevin hayes are big but they are pretty much more finesse guys then power guys. who's gonna score the dirty goals ?

2. this defense is plenty good enough. the top 6 and hank are top 5 still. get ready for the 2-1 games again

3. unless chris kreider and rick nash both have big years, and i mean like ck and nash both go mid 30's in goals, this team will underperform and struggle to keep up with washington, pitts and the piles- all of whom have more potent forwards.

4. the powerplay better be real good. if not, were gonna struggle. we lost hags and all his 5on5 goals.

5. pavel buchnevich arrives in the spring time and makes a big splash in the deep end. dudes for real.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
My predictions.

Rangers win PT

Kreider scores 30

Nash repeats and shows up big time in POs

Yandles resigns in January

Stalberg plays in top 6

Brass step and hayes put up 60pts

Miller gets traded

Etem breaks out

Quickie improves

Stoll makes the team and sticks with moore becoming best 4th line in NHL

Rangers win Stanley cup

Girardi traded next offseason.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I feel like next year is all about Hayes and Fast stepping up and breaking out in their own ways. Hayes will snag 60 points and while I feel like Fast's production will increase a bit, his speed and defensive play is where we really see him shine. I'm excited for them for most.

I think Miller and Etem take a step forward but not by much, IMO.

Bold prediction:

Yandle with 65-70 points.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
-Yandle puts up 60 points, earns a big contract.

-Nash takes a step back in the regular season but has a satisfying playoffs.

-Raspewtin gets angry.

-Boyle has another good year. Nobody cares.

-Skjei plays in the NHL

-Hank sucks in October. Raanta doesn't. People panic and call for Raanta to start and say we never should have traded Talbot. Hank is up to 2.15 .920 by Christmas.

-Dominic Moore parts the Red Sea, invents fire, and gives us the Ten Commandments.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think the team takes a step back. Too many question marks with Miller and Etem leading the way. Tough 2nd round exit and the official closing of the window.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I think the team takes a step back. Too many question marks with Miller and Etem leading the way.

Agree.

Tough 2nd round exit and the official closing of the window.

Disagree.

As for my own:

• McIlrath impresses. His board play in his own zone leads to quick breakouts and limited possession against. He becomes a #fancystat superstar
  • Due to bullet one, Klein is traded by the end of pre-season

From management down, there are some great pieces on this team. Add that to the best goalie in the world, and one of the best 5v5 scorers in the game... With a little bit of luck, this team is playing for the Cup in June.

LGR

BarbaraAlphanse

Rangers take a step back in the regular season. Are alternating between 2nd and 3rd.

They identify scoring as a problem. Yandle has a huge year. Gets extended.

Staal is traded. Rangers land cap space and a guy on the cusp of breaking into the NHL that can slide into the top 6 for scoring help OR an established top 6 winger that fits into Gorton's vision. Thinking Pulkinenn or Wheeler.

Skjei allows the team to trade Staal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
With a new GM, lots of new faces in the organization, a team coming off two very good years where they just couldn't manage to get over the hump, and a lot of cap implications next summer, this could be a really intriguing season.

Some predictions:

McIlrath is the newest rookie to get the yo-yo treatment. Fans assume a power struggle between coaching staff and the front office. Ultimately nothing meaningful happens and he continues to get spot games throughout the season.

Lindberg solidifies himself as this year's Jesper Fast. He rapidly earns the trust of the coaching staff and works his way into the top-9 by the end of the year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Rangers will be back to having good team possession stats like 13-14.

I don't know if they'll be particularly good, but I agree they'll be better.

A full year of Yandle will be huge for those numbers and Stalberg is a possession leviathan.

I could see us being middle of the road.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't know if they'll be particularly good, but I agree they'll be better.

A full year of Yandle will be huge for those numbers and Stalberg is a possession leviathan.

I could see us being middle of the road.

I think a rebound from McDonagh too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think a rebound from McDonagh too.

Yeah good point. His shot-suppression was normal but his shot-generation took a huge hit. I think that's why he was failing the eye-test this year, he wasn't getting the chances.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Stepan will score over 70 points for the first time this season and win 50% of his faceoffs.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Gonna go with that this is the first time ever that a Sather-drafted Rangers breaks 60 points. Looking at you Stepan and Kreider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad