Speculation: Predictions, predictions, predictions...

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Give me your craziest predictions, within reason, on what happens this offseason around the league, not just with the Avs.

I predict...

Jones gets dealt to Tampa and everyone will be pissed.

Eichel gets dealt to Vegas with MAF going back to Pittsburgh.

Stl and Calgary pull off a yuge trade with Tarasenko and Tkachuk and multiple other pieces.

Gru chases the money and leaves the Avs with huge hole, forcing Joe to overpay for a goalie via UFA or via trade.

Joe signs Coleman, probably for more $ and term than we like.

Joe pulls off a trade no one saw coming, for a need... again.

Kaprizov holds out and either goes back to Russia or forces a trade.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You already took a couple of mine but I'll post my predictions anyways. In no particular order:

1) Vegas trades Robin Lehner, not Marc-Andre Fleury.

2) Having moved Lehner, Vegas makes a huge run at Jack Eichel and acquires him while sending back Alex Tuch and both Cody Glass and Peyton Krebs and a 1st round pick, an offer no other team wants to match.

3) Chicago trades Duncan Keith to Edmonton where a 3rd team gets involved for maximum retention since the Oilers won't send James Neal or Mikko Koskinen back, they'll send Caleb Jones who in turn helps the Blackhawks acquire Seth Jones from Columbus.

4) Calgary acquires Vladimir Tarasenko, Robert Thomas and a 1st round pick for Matthew Tkachuk.

5) Edmonton makes a huge push for Phillip Grubauer when he becomes a UFA and signs him to a 6x6 contract - the same contract they offered Jacob Markstrom last summer.

6) Taylor Hall re-signs in Boston for a lot less than anyone thinks he will.

7) Boston trades Jake DeBrusk out west for virtually nothing because he doesn't fit the "culture" and they trash him on the way out.

8) Los Angeles signs Phillip Danault after striking out on Jack Eichel.

9) Seattle is overhyped by the media after what happened with Vegas in 2017 and actually struggles in year 1 and misses the playoffs entirely.

10) Joe Sakic believes in Tyson Jost as his 3C and Erik Johnson as his 2nd pairing RD and only makes minor tweaks to the team's bottom six and 3rd pairing while signing Petr Mrazek in UFA.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You already took a couple of mine but I'll post my predictions anyways. In no particular order:

2) Having moved Lehner, Vegas makes a huge run at Jack Eichel and acquires him while sending back Alex Tuch and both Cody Glass and Peyton Krebs and a 1st round pick, an offer no other team wants to match.

3) Chicago trades Duncan Keith to Edmonton where a 3rd team gets involved for maximum retention since the Oilers won't send James Neal or Mikko Koskinen back, they'll send Caleb Jones who in turn helps the Blackhawks acquire Seth Jones from Columbus.

4) Calgary acquires Vladimir Tarasenko, Robert Thomas and a 1st round pick for Matthew Tkachuk.

5) Edmonton makes a huge push for Phillip Grubauer when he becomes a UFA and signs him to a 6x6 contract - the same contract they offered Jacob Markstrom last summer.

7) Boston trades Jake DeBrusk out west for virtually nothing because he doesn't fit the "culture" and they trash him on the way out.

9) Seattle is overhyped by the media after what happened with Vegas in 2017 and actually struggles in year 1 and misses the playoffs entirely.

10) Joe Sakic believes in Tyson Jost as his 3C and Erik Johnson as his 2nd pairing RD and only makes minor tweaks to the team's bottom six and 3rd pairing while signing Petr Mrazek in UFA.
Holy overpayment.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

My prediction off of your Gru and Edmonton prediction is that Edmonton leaves Grubauer out to dry and he makes comments about how he did his job leading to a lot of butthurt fans

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Eichel isn’t traded this offseason, instead he is traded in season or possibly leading up to the draft next offseason just prior to his NMC kicking in…

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Gru signs a big deal in Boston. Then Sakic pulls off some real magic making a trade with whoever Vegas trades Lehner to, the Martin Jones style flip where the Knights think he's safely away from a rival but he's not. Avs get a legitimate top 10 goalie for 4 years at 5m per, about what they want to limit paying Gru.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
  • I think after this off-season's moves, the Kings will be seen as a division contender.
  • The Red Wings will make some noise. They have lots of picks and cap space, along with Raymond and Seider primed for NHL roles.
  • The Oilers will bring in more than one former Red Wing (my money is on Glendening + Tatar)
  • The Avalanche will trade one or both of Burakovsky and Kadri (pending UFA's) in a middle-6 re-tool.

Reactions: Andrew Wiggin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eichel to Vegas
Keith to Vancouver
DeBrusk to Edmonton
Tank to Washington
Kuznetsov to Columbus
Jones to Tampa
Coleman to Colorado
Lehner to Carolina
Hamilton to Seattle

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Garland and Kuemper become members of the Colorado Avalanche. Sakic (falsely) feels that Jost and Newhook provide enough depth behind Kadri to not worry about addressing the C position.

Kuemper comes retained, Compher is part of what goes the other way and Joe uses some of those savings to chase another big RHD to play with G.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Garland and Kuemper become members of the Colorado Avalanche. Sakic (falsely) feels that Jost and Newhook provide enough depth behind Kadri to not worry about addressing the C position.

Kuemper comes retained, Compher is part of what goes the other way and Joe uses some of those savings to chase another big RHD to play with G.

giphy.gif

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Eichel -> LA or NYR
Jones -> Philly
Danault -> Vegas
Hall -> Botson
Grubauer -> Edmonton
Saad -> LA

The Avs barely make the playoffs with Frankie as their starter, and ultimately don't go very deep into the postseason due to goaltending. Losing Grubauer is going to tank them.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Eichel -> LA or NYR
Jones -> Philly
Danault -> Vegas
Hall -> Botson
Grubauer -> Edmonton
Saad -> LA

The Avs barely make the playoffs with Frankie as their starter, and ultimately don't go very deep into the postseason due to goaltending. Losing Grubauer is going to tank them.

The Avs will start their next dynasty as they see their window closing and move out some assets for future picks that become Bedard and Michkov

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stastny to COL
Tatar to COL
Jones to PHI
Eichel to NYR
Hall to BOS
Tarasenko to FLA
Keith to EDM
Saad to LA

Reactions: shadow1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Eichel to Vegas
Keith to Vancouver
DeBrusk to Edmonton
Tank to Washington
Kuznetsov to Columbus
Jones to Tampa
Coleman to Colorado
Lehner to Carolina
Hamilton to Seattle
You know, I kept wanting to predict a goaltender to Carolina but for some reason I'm convinced the owner there believes goaltenders are like the NHL's version of NFL running backs, and he can just plug any random one in there and the team will have success.

I'd love for that to be true, because if that team ever gets a ****ing goaltender watch out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tkachuk is an interesting one because there has been some smoke there. Not from any reliable sources but it's out there and he only signed a short-term deal. I don't think there's any way Tarasenko is waiving his NTC for Calgary and I don't know why they'd even want him but the Blues would probably be near the top of Tkachuk's list. He probably stays at least one more year with the Flames though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Tkachuk is an interesting one because there has been some smoke there. Not from any reliable sources but it's out there and he only signed a short-term deal. I don't think there's any way Tarasenko is waiving his NTC for Calgary and I don't know why they'd even want him but the Blues would probably be near the top of Tkachuk's list. He probably stays at least one more year with the Flames though.
You mean Shane Orr'Brien isn't a reliable source?!?!

Reactions: Avs_19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad