Line Combos: Predicting Forward Lines for 2013-2014

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Until Zibanejad can prove he has improved on his 46.4% reg season faceoff percentage and 36.8% in the playoffs, I don't think he'll be centring our 2nd PP unit.

The only way to get better is by taking more draws.

Also, despite his %, Maclean has used him in clutch situations on the draw.

thefatjesus*

I dont know if maclean is gonna want ryan on the right or left wing. And ive heard a few times he thinks stone would be a perfect fit on spezzas wing (if not this year mabye after next season when milos gone). my lines would look something like this

Ryan Spezza Stone
Macarthur Turris MM9
Conacher Pageau Zibby
Greening Smith Neil

****** I forgot Condra..isnt it great that we cant agree on lines because we have so much talent that can be argued to fit in various positions? I love it

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Bored, gonna do one that probs won't happen and my point totals for each player

I'm gonna role with the
Scoring
Scoring
Scoring
Energy

rather then the
Scoring
Scoring
Checking
Energy

with this line up their will be good checkers in 3/4 lines excluding line 3....

Ryan (80) - Spezza(78) - Turris (73)
MacArthur(55) - Zibanejad(47) - Michalek (60)(first PP)
Conacher(55) - Pagaeu(40) - Condra(40)
Hoffman(30) - Smith(25) - Niel(20)
Kassasin(7) JOB (14)

Methot(47) - Karlsson (85)
Wiercioch(55) - Cowen (27)
Gryba(14) - Phillips(18)
Corvo(25?)

Anderson (2A)
Lehner (0A)

Michalek and conacher would be on first power play and second power play respectively, that is why they might have higher totals then someone above them in the line up.

also this would be assuming everyones healthy which i highly doubt.

and no i don't think spezza will regress, im trying to be a little realistic, I think Ryan will hit 45g - 35a, and Turris will have a break out season and meet his draft expectations, Zibby will not score 50 points in his second season imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I'm gonna role with the
Scoring
Scoring
Scoring
Energy

rather then the
Scoring
Scoring
Checking
Energy

Kassasin(7) JOB (14)

Gryba(14) - Phillips(18)
Corvo(25?)

Anderson (2A)
Lehner (0A)

Michalek and conacher would be on first power play and second power play respectively, that is why they might have higher totals then someone above them in the line up.

and no i don't think spezza will regress, im trying to be a little realistic, I think Ryan will hit 45g - 35a, and Turris will have a break out season and meet his draft expectations, Zibby will not score 50 points in his second season imo.

Hoffman in over Greening and Greening not even one of the extras? Also I feel like Ryan outscoring Spezza seems unlikely.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hoffman in over Greening and Greening not even one of the extras? Also I feel like Ryan outscoring Spezza seems unlikely.

im not gonna lie and say that i meant to trade greening or something, i just forgot about him, a player poised for his best season yet, 20-20 (40) imo. my bad.

Ryan outscoring spezza, I believe just because Ryan is starting his prime years now, and he will have spezza and karlsson, to give him the opportunity for many of chances to score. Spezza has missed a whole season, and its inevitable that he will need time to heat up again, and he is going to miss some games aswell, they are going to be CLOSE but i think ryan will come on top by a little.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I dont know if maclean is gonna want ryan on the right or left wing. And ive heard a few times he thinks stone would be a perfect fit on spezzas wing (if not this year mabye after next season when milos gone). my lines would look something like this

Ryan Spezza Stone
Macarthur Turris MM9
Conacher Pageau Zibby
Greening Smith Neil

****** I forgot Condra..isnt it great that we cant agree on lines because we have so much talent that can be argued to fit in various positions? I love it

What makes you think we are going to let michalek walk? If michalek stays healthy and he becomes his usually scoring self next season, i do not see any reason why we would let him walk next offseason. The only way we let him walk or trade him before the deadline is if his leg is still causing him huge amounts of problems.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What makes you think we are going to let michalek walk? If michalek stays healthy and he becomes his usually scoring self next season, i do not see any reason why we would let him walk next offseason. The only way we let him walk or trade him before the deadline is if his leg is still causing him huge amounts of problems.

just a thought, he might not want to play here aswell, but im not milo so i wouldn't know where he wants to play, but im gonna agree with you somewhat and say his future here is uncertain and the first few months of the season will tell us whats gonna happen.

thefatjesus*

which is why I think he'll be on the way out lol im predicting a scenario where his knee still inhibits him from playing a full season, your predicting a scenario where he stays healthy and performs. If your prediction comes true Ottawa may keep him depending on the cost and other player options (trade, ufa) at the time. If not, we hopefully trade him at the deadline.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Conacher-Spezza-Ryan
MacArthur-Turris-Michalek
Greening-Zibanajed-Condra
Hoffman-Smith-Neil
Kassian

Pageau, due to not having to pass through waivers, WILL start in Bingo this year (where he will get plenty of ice/PP time. Hoffman was first in line for call up last year ahead of his injury, I think he gets a long look this season and Pageau continues to refine his game in the AHL (not unlike Mr. Spezza, if I recall).

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
MacArthur-Turris-Conacher
Greening-Zibanejad-Condra
Kassian/Hoffman/JOB-Smith-Neil

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Looking at this line-up, it is way better than last season's - and we went into the second round in the playoffs then. My guess is that Alfie is pulling his hair right now.

I will never get over how utterly stupid and illogical that move was, there has to be more to it than we know about.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

I'm gonna role with the
Scoring
Scoring
Scoring
Energy

rather then the
Scoring
Scoring
Checking
Energy

Kassasin(7) JOB (14)

Gryba(14) - Phillips(18)
Corvo(25?)

Anderson (2A)
Lehner (0A)

12 guys getting 40+ points? In 2011-2012, when the Sens were a top 5 team in regards to offense, they had 5 players get over 40 points (6 if you include Turris). In 2005-2006, when they had the best offensive team, they had 8.

This expectation is pretty unrealistic. I would hope that Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Ryan, Turris, Macarthur, and Karlsson get 40. Zibby and Conacher could push 40 as well.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Honestly, I think Conacher/Spezza/Ryan has the potential to be a kick ass line in more than one way.

First, I think the line itself will do really well. Conacher will prove to this fanbase that he can be the ideal linemate for two extremely skilled players, similar to his situation in Tampa. Why not see if he can recreate what he had in Tampa? Also, it allows the 2nd and 3rd line to be incredibly balanced. Two awesome secondary scoring options.

Conacher/Spezza/Ryan
MacArthur/Turris/Michalek
Greenign/Zibanejad/Pageau
Condra/Smith/Neil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Conacher/Spezza/Ryan
Condra/Smith/Neil

Me likey.

You might see Condra and Greening swapped.

Condra has shown chemistry with Zibanejad and can provide just a little more defensive responsibility with the two kids than Greening.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Honestly, I think Conacher/Spezza/Ryan has the potential to be a kick ass line in more than one way.

First, I think the line itself will do really well. Conacher will prove to this fanbase that he can be the ideal linemate for two extremely skilled players, similar to his situation in Tampa. Why not see if he can recreate what he had in Tampa? Also, it allows the 2nd and 3rd line to be incredibly balanced. Two awesome secondary scoring options.

Conacher/Spezza/Ryan
Condra/Smith/Neil

Wow. Yeah. I really, really, really like this.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Me likey.

You might see Condra and Greening swapped.

Condra has shown chemistry with Zibanejad and can provide just a little more defensive responsibility with the two kids than Greening.
You're definitely right.

Condra meshed well with Pageau too. I think.

Asharx

Sep 26, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Conacher/Spezza/Ryan
Condra/Smith/Neil

I would like to see those lines. I agree with you re the 1st line.
Hopefully Mac goes with something like that and lets Conacher have a change to prove himself to the fans.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Really liked Yost's blog today on HockeyBuzz. The L1 vs. L2/L3/L4 possession rates was revealing and can, I think, be used as an effective measure of good vs. great teams. There will be clearly be flux in the lineup througout the year based on performance, injuries, etc.... So what we're really talking about is what the lineup is likely to look like at the start of the year with only training camp and a few pre-season games as a guide for the coaching staff on how their players have progressed since last year. With that in mind, I continue to think the Sens wil begin the season like this.....

Greening - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Michalek
Conacher - Zibby - Condra
Smith - Pageau - Neil
(JOB, Kassian)

Perhaps there's a minor deal made where JOB is traded for a pick or something. Aside from that I think the forward grouping above represents the best prediction of the opening-night lineup based on how MacLean has distributed playing time in the past and where each player is in their career progression. I maintain that Mark Stone is unlikely to make the leap from spot-player to first line NHL'er at the start of this season. I also think that Cory Conacher will need to prove his first half production last season was not a fluke and that J.G. Pageau is a player the organization wants on the roster now and playing at his natural center position.

Maybe Alfie leaving is, in a way, a good thing. It not only kicks off a new era for team leadership but it also offers the opportunity for young, deserving players to earn top-6 minutes. For now I think that immediate opportunity falls to Turris, Greening, and MacArthur but they'll have plenty of competion from guys like Conacher, Zibby, Stone, Hoffman, Pageau, and perhaps even Lazar. And that is a really good thing for the health of this team long term.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Only thing he lacks is speed. He has the hands, size, play-making and goal-scoring ability, and most of all, IQ to thrive with Spezza and Bobby.

I don't think he has any of that, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

I'm talking top-line calibre abilities, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad