• Traded

• LTIR

• Stays with team

Results are only viewable after voting.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
While 31 games isn't the biggest sample size, I will go out on a limb and say .928 over 31 games is slightly more telling than .885 over 2 games. BTW, Quick is 42 for 56 (.750) so far in this young season. I'll go out on another limb and suggest not much is going to change with him this year.

And how did you feel about the previous (healthy) season, when he was a legit Vezina candidate and had playoff numbers even better than his Conn Smythe year (.947)?

Don't get me wrong, Quick is slowing down and on his way out, and most of us are looking for a much more even split this year, but throwing dirt on his casket over an injury-riddled year that was the worst in our history is garbage logic, especially given people will ignore the season before it, and that he was far and away our best goalie in preseason too, choosing only the current two-game sample size and last season. It's selective, and skips chunks of time to make a fallacious argument.

Campbell is the shiny new toy and he was great last year but he was also trash this preseason and currently in the same sample size has the same issues as Quick. So no, it's not 'clear' who should be backup, both guys deserve the chance to battle over it all year, given we have the league low on ice save percentage by a freaking immense amount.

Kingjin

Dec 20, 2008
Got a question, with the expansion draft coming up don’t we need to expose a goaltender? If we trade Quick or he retires before that draft don’t we then have to expose one of the other 2? Think we are just hanging on to Quick until then, that way we are protecting Campbell and Petersen is safe in the AHL? Just spitballing here.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Got a question, with the expansion draft coming up don’t we need to expose a goaltender? If we trade Quick or he retires before that draft don’t we then have to expose one of the other 2? Think we are just hanging on to Quick until then, that way we are protecting Campbell and Petersen is safe in the AHL? Just spitballing here.

Petersen is not safe in the AHL. He will need to be protected. One of Quick or Campbell will be exposed.

Reactions: Kingjin

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah everyone saying we trade Campbell seems to be forgetting about the expansion draft.

I don't think it's so hard to get around. If Quick stays on for another year beyond this one, LA can expose him. Otherwise, they can sign a veteran to a 2-year deal next summer.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So how do you feel about Campbell's .885 this season?

It's almost as if there's more to it, right?

Sick of this oft-repeated disingenuous 'analysis' based on a time capsule of the worst year in Kings history.

It's not about the numbers...it's the way Quick plays. Zero confidence, nervous, constantly overcommitting. Quick needs to practice hard and reinvent himself. Happened to other goalies, too. I'd hold him out of all or almost all games (use him as a backup) this year and go with Campbell. Call up Petersen whenever Campbell needs a break. This gives Quick the time he needs to become his usual self again and get ready for 2020. I don't think Quick will be able to do that while getting regular starts.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
ah well

the team is good enough to compete, they look a bit like the Canadiens, scoring team, bare defence but an elite goalie

we're an elite goalie away from a fun competitive season

instead, we'll age twice as fast, be bored and frustrated because our management doesn't have the balls to do the obvious

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
It's not about the numbers...it's the way Quick plays. Zero confidence, nervous, constantly overcommitting. Quick needs to practice hard and reinvent himself. Happened to other goalies, too. I'd hold him out of all or almost all games (use him as a backup) this year and go with Campbell. Call up Petersen whenever Campbell needs a break. This gives Quick the time he needs to become his usual self again and get ready for 2020. I don't think Quick will be able to do that while getting regular starts.

don't try to explain

there's exactly 3 members on here that are soooooooooo rooted in their beliefs that they just destroy anything you'll say

plus those 3 keep liking each other's comments so it's this trifecta wall of ''we know better, in Blake we trust'' so just forget about it

keep on venting brother, i feel your pain and i fully understand the essence of what you're saying

Reactions: Fifth Marauder

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Ah yeah, the classic practice of holding a healthy goalie out an entire season to practice and calling up a third goalie?

The guys are splitting starts until one can emerge. I don't see why that's so controversial when they both suck and even Petersen got rocked in Ontario recently.

There's no cavalry on the way to save this team's G position from itself. Better off letting Quick and Campbell implode.

don't try to explain

there's exactly 3 members on here that are soooooooooo rooted in their beliefs that they just destroy anything you'll say

plus those 3 keep liking each other's comments so it's this trifecta wall of ''we know better, in Blake we trust'' so just forget about it

keep on venting brother, i feel your pain and i fully understand the essence of what you're saying

I'm right here man, you can talk to me.

It's not about Quick and his problems; it's this weird belief that Campbell is riding in his white horse to the rescue when he's been a problem as well, but there's a group that is actively rooting for Quick's failure while ignoring Campbell has his own issues.

The best thing either guy can do is play until one of them breaks out of it.

But I'm not going to apologize for using facts to 'destroy anything you'll say' when people say garbage like "campbell would have stopped that" when there's ample evidence of him shitting the bed in games we've dominated this very season and he was awful in the preseason as well. You guys want to pretend we're just pumping Quick's tires or something when we can acknowledge he's got work to do...the problem isn't just with Quick.

Last edited:

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Quick goes nowhere... To much Money, to old, to many injuries, to inconsistent
Campbell's stock plummets because our defense is awful
Petersen becomes 1A after we move Campbell at the TDL
Actually, you could bury $1.075 million of Quicks contract in Ontario and call up Petersen. Quick can try to win games and build his confidence back up with the Reign. Think of it like a conditioning stint for Quick.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
At this rate, he retires at the end of the season.

We can all hope that (same with Carter), but these guys signed these long term contracts (and took less yearly at the time) and it doesn't seem like guys like Carter and Quick have any plans to retire.

The Kings may have to be really tough with Quick and say he's just not going to play much going forward and maybe that will do the trick. But if not the contracts of Carter and Quick are so long they are going to run into the time the Kings probably feel they will be back to contending for a playoff spot, and that is going to suck having two below replacement level anchors making $12m in cap space. We have to hope we have a ton of good players on ELC's those years.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Ah yeah, the classic practice of holding a healthy goalie out an entire season to practice and calling up a third goalie?

The guys are splitting starts until one can emerge. I don't see why that's so controversial when they both suck and even Petersen got rocked in Ontario recently.

There's no cavalry on the way to save this team's G position from itself. Better off letting Quick and Campbell implode.

I'm right here man, you can talk to me.

It's not about Quick and his problems; it's this weird belief that Campbell is riding in his white horse to the rescue when he's been a problem as well, but there's a group that is actively rooting for Quick's failure while ignoring Campbell has his own issues.

The best thing either guy can do is play until one of them breaks out of it.

But I'm not going to apologize for using facts to 'destroy anything you'll say' when people say garbage like "campbell would have stopped that" when there's ample evidence of him ****ting the bed in games we've dominated this very season and he was awful in the preseason as well. You guys want to pretend we're just pumping Quick's tires or something when we can acknowledge he's got work to do...the problem isn't just with Quick.

i'll take Campbell's .88 over Quick's .79 any day, that's grade 1 level math

also Campbell gave the Kings a chance to win in both games, while Quick lost the game in the first 10 minutes of every game he started... that requires below basic 10/20 level vision

further... i wish we were both present so i could point out to you how many of Quick's allowed goals would have been stopped by a better Quick (even on a team with 6 Matt Roys), and then we could do the same exercise with Campbell (pro-rated). I'll even give YOU the benefit of the doubt, every single one that you think Campbell should have stopped i won't debate them... we'll still come out with a higher % of saves that shouldve been done by Quick vs Campbell

Finally, the body language might require a little bit more human skill (some people are just better at pointing out body language than others) to see that Quick's is screaming that he shouldn't be playing right now

listen, i get it, the marketing pushed us to buy into the concept of "hockey is a team sport" but i assure you, it happens more often than you care to admit, that sometimes ONE PLAYER can bring on a winning culture to your team or a poisonous atmosphere

right now, Quick is pure poison, just bag your L when he's in net

Jun 30, 2006
We can all hope that (same with Carter), but these guys signed these long term contracts (and took less yearly at the time) and it doesn't seem like guys like Carter and Quick have any plans to retire.

The Kings may have to be really tough with Quick and say he's just not going to play much going forward and maybe that will do the trick. But if not the contracts of Carter and Quick are so long they are going to run into the time the Kings probably feel they will be back to contending for a playoff spot, and that is going to suck having two below replacement level anchors making $12m in cap space. We have to hope we have a ton of good players on ELC's those years.

Luongo retired and forgoes the remainder of his contract, I think. Quick is declining but how much of it is on him and not the defense in front of him.

The defense in front of Quick is atrocious, it’s not the same as having Mitchell, Greene, Scuderi, Regehr etc. guys that lay it all out in front of him and clear out the garbage. We have moved away from that system and are going with ECHL level Dmen with better skating, not necessarily better at puck control or clearing out the garbage.

Quick is now untradeable with that contract and declining skills. Kings continue to hang on to these guys when they should have been traded awhile ago, the Luc Robitaille management team didn’t get the memo.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I don't really see the expansion draft thing as an issue, we could sign Billy Ranford to a 1 year, 2 way minimum deal and just have him not report when we assign him to Ontario. Or call Budaj and ask him if he wants to pretend to make a come back in exchange for a signing bonus. Don't see a point in holding onto a tradeable asset just for the expansion draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is not that important. It’s like arguing that a **** sandwich tastes better with A1 instead of ketchup and mustard.

Amen.

I'm done 'arguing' with people who have an impossible time seeing any fault with Campbell while they bag Quick. I'm over here acknowledging his issues and that his current play isn't good enough, but in the end, he's staying with this team, and the smartest thing to do would be to root for his success rather than failure as it means he regains some value. Otherwise, they're gonna be stuck complaining about him for 3 more years while watching Campbell move on to make space for Petersen.

How anyone can have so much venom for a dude after he's ripped his body apart for this org is beyond me but here we are.

Reactions: Bandit

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
How much of the 9 million he is owed will he actually see after taxes? If he's injured and not having fun anymore then what is the point? I don't think it's unreasonable to think he may just hang em up.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How much of the 9 million he is owed will he actually see after taxes? If he's injured and not having fun anymore then what is the point? I don't think it's unreasonable to think he may just hang em up.

When his salary drops heavily over the next few years he'd be an excellent candidate for an Ottawa-style team who needs the cap but saves the money.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Someone just mentioned in a group I am in, Quick for Schneider being bandied about, no idea if it's true, or how serious, or if it even makes sense for anyone....

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if, assuming Campbell plays well, he is exposed to and chosen by Seattle anyway. He could be a good starter by then and he is such a likable guy. If Petersen is the future, that would be a great opportunity for Campbell and a good thing for the Kings to lose a player at a position of relative strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad