Predict the WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
e46265 said:
For anyone to tip sweden to finish 8:th, then he really doesn,t
know a thing about the swedish team this year.
Canada is going to top group B, then sweden and finland is
going to qualify for the quarter-finals.

I agree with you. Sweden has a good team but many in here (not all) seem to underestimate them. In this age group Sweden has been ahed of Finland in the past tournaments.

It seems that Finland is ranked pretty high in many predictions. I am not that optimistic. Of course I hope Finland will come out with good performance, but if you look the history of this team it shows not so great performances in WJCs. Finland has size and promising players, but some of the key players like Tukonen aren`t necessarily in 100% shape because of injuries. Finland needs to play well alredy in the beginning to qualify from group B, but if they get it going well I really don`t see roof for team Finland but i doupt that they will be playing for the medals.

1.Canada
2.USA
3.Sweden
4.Russia
5.Finland
6.Czech

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Gold: Team Western Canada
Silver: USA (Russian are better, but I want revenge :))
Bronze: Russia

Canada are the best team in this tournament, but they are trully overhyped by TSN and other medias. But we have a character team, even if I'm quite mad at the fact that praticly all the players are from the DUB, I must confess that I feel that Sutter built a TEAM that can work TOGETHER and in such a short tourney playing like a real team and having chemistry is more important than pure skills.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Upchuck19 said:
I can't see how Canada is "overhyped"?

Gold Canada
Silver Russia
Bronze USA

Seen TSN is picking up some of the USA games, probly ESPN2's games.

TSN are biased idiotic morons! "Best team ever assembled", alright I'm gonna step out side and puke! This team isn't that great and until Canada wins we shouldn't be the favs! USA has to be the favs!

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Vincent_TheGreat said:
TSN are biased idiotic morons! "Best team ever assembled", alright I'm gonna step out side and puke! This team isn't that great and until Canada wins we shouldn't be the favs! USA has to be the favs!
Their not, Canada has been "officially" named the favorites (Source NHL.com) I'd give a link but it would take forever to find it.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Douggy said:
Flame on, Swedes!!! :joker:

Why would we? History speaks against us. Though we actually have a decent defense and a couple of really promising goalies this time, I won't expect this team to do anything more than stay out of the relegation round. Not that I'm not hoping, I'm just aware of the fact that the other teams are better on paper and that swedish teams never perform well under pressure.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian_man said:
Their not, Canada has been "officially" named the favorites (Source NHL.com) I'd give a link but it would take forever to find it.

Who has the authority to "officially" anoint Canada as the favorite?

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Canada had the best team last year, the same the year before, and the same the year before, and so on, except for the seventh place team.

Think about it like this. Over the course of the last 10 years Canada has been the most consistent by far. Same with the last 5 years. You wanna judge it on last year? Canada had the best team on paper then too, then blew one period in the final game.

Let's judge it on last year if you want in a diff way. Who has the most returning players? CANADA.

Who has the highest ranked prospects? CANADA

Who has the most skill on paper? CANADA

Who has the biggest D? CANADA

Biggest Forwards? CANADA

Best scorers? CANADA

Best line? CANADA

On paper, Canada has the best team. Just like at the world cup, just like at the olympics. Even if Canada by some twist of fate does not win, I'm not, and I hope other hockey fans don't, jump on the random teams bandwagon who does win, because they won't be back the next year. Canada will always be there.

Go player by player. How can Canada be overhyped?

Take our SILVER MEDAL WINNING(gold medal should have been) TEAM from last year, remove 12 of the best players, age them, add Patrice Bergeron and 10 other young guns, and that is why it is the best team ever assembled ON PAPER. I stress the last two words.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Rabid Ranger said:
WHo has the authority to "officially" anoint Canada as the favorite?

The post wasn't very long, I'm sure you can see where I put "source". And if you wanna be specific, it was the Team USA coach who said it.

you may also notice that I put quotations around "officially", as in someone had stated so.

Wow. :shakehead

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

Because to 90% of people following hockey/junior hockey that should be obvious, the difference is so clear to other countries.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
1.) Czech Republic - Tourney MVP Marek Schwarz will take the underated Czechs to the final where they upset Team Canada in a close checking game.

2.) Canada - Same as last year, they will walk right through the tournement till the gold medal game.

3.) Finland - Hot goaltending is the theme this year. Rask will follow in the footsteps of Ahonen and Lehtonen and play out of this world.

4.) USA - The strong group of forwards will do well vs weaker teams but get stoped in their tracks by a tough Team Canada defense.

5.) Russia - A huge disapointment for the russia team. Inconsistant goaltending along with a weaker defense was the achilles heal for Russia.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian_man said:
The post wasn't very long, I'm sure you can see where I put "source". And if you wanna be specific, it was the Team USA coach who said it.

you may also notice that I put quotations around "officially", as in someone had stated so.

Wow. :shakehead

So Scott Sandelin is the authority? Gotcha.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Reilly311 said:
Well TSN is calling it the best WJC team ever assembled.
IMHO, if you gave Canada an Elite starter in net they could match that description... Offensively and defensively I would say this COULD be Canada's best team that I remember... Glass looks solid in nets, but he is the weak link on the team (if there is one)... If he (or Beauchemin) plays well, I can't see Canada losing... If neither of them play well, then Canada is in trouble...

My prediction is:

1) Canada
2) USA
3) Russia
4) Finland
5) Czech Republic
6) Slovakia
7) Sweden
8) Belarus
9) Switzerland
10) Germany

Reilly311

tgallant said:
IMHO, if you gave Canada an Elite starter in net they could match that description...

like who? Marc Andre Fleury? It's basically the same team as last year. If they weren't the greatest team ever assembled last year, then how can they be this year? I hope no one is thinking Patrice Bergeron is the missing link either.

espo*

I'm sure most people peg Canada as the favourite and so do i,not sure if i buy all this "best team ever" stuff from tsn as we've had some pretty strong teams in the past...but it's tsn,what do you expect? If they roll through the tournament and take the title with relative ease i would probably call them our strongest team ever but that has'nt happened yet.While i think this team will win i don't think it will be an easy romp,it never is.I'd have a hard time attaching my name to any best ever team talk without seeing how they perform in even one game and with the goaltending questions we have....someone has to show they can carry the mail and until that's done i'll be concerned. There are good teams at this tournament of which we are only one.On paper,we look very strong........but so do others. I just want to see us improve from one game to the next and i think things will take care of themselves but we'll have to earn it right up to the final game if we get there.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Rabid Ranger said:

Maybe the guy who annointed the USA as Favs last year? :dunno: Here's the way I see the tourney finishing:

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Russia

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
loadie said:
Maybe the guy who annointed the USA as Favs last year? :dunno: Here's the way I see the tourney finishing:

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Russia

I don't question anyone saying Canada is the favorite, but whether that can be done in an "official" capacity. Who would do that anyway?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reilly311 said:
like who? Marc Andre Fleury? It's basically the same team as last year. If they weren't the greatest team ever assembled last year, then how can they be this year? I hope no one is thinking Patrice Bergeron is the missing link either.

That's what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, Canada is the favorite, and they have the best team on paper, but I don't get all of these "best team of all-time" accolades. As for Bergeron, he's a nice player, and a proven NHL talent, but he's not going to be the differance between winning and losing IMO.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't question anyone saying Canada is the favorite, but whether that can be done in an "official" capacity. Who would do that anyway?

Your taking this way to seriously. If it makes you feel better, I never said "official", I dont know what your talking about. You must be seeing things, I never said the word in my life.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian_man said:
Your taking this way to seriously. If it makes you feel better, I never said "official", I dont know what your talking about. You must be seeing things, I never said the word in my life.

Canada rules! :bow:

Macman

May 15, 2004
1. Canada. As was the case during the '95 lockout, Canada will average over six goals a game and go undefeated.
2. Russia.
3. U.S.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Reilly311 said:
They are largely the same team, but with a few major differences...

1) They are all a year older and more experienced... You think Phaneuf was tough to play against last year? Just wait...
2) Crosby will get MUCH more ice time... Last year he was played as a specialty player but he will be given the ice time to show that he is a dominant force in the tournament this year...
3) The defense overall is stronger than last year IMHO... Weber and Barker will balance out an incredible defensive squad...
4) The addition of Bergeron, despite what some of you say, will be a big factor... He is an elite player "for his age"... I'm not saying the guy is a dominant NHLer, but he had a very good rookie year and has followed it up by being pretty dominant in the AHL this year... He SHOULD be a dominant player in the WJC too... Especially playing with Crosby...

I think that the biggest losses this year will be Paille and Fleury... Sure Fleury had some iffy moments last year, but he was better than anything we have this year... and some of the impact of losing Paille will be lessened from having Fraser there... Adding Perry and Ladd to the team makes this team very strong... Having Sutter behind the bench makes this team very strong... My big question though is still goaltending... We don't have a big name guy in there this year... Having a Fleury, Luongo, Denis or Garon in there would be a calming influence on the team... Glass and Beauchemin have a lot to prove to me... Here's hoping that they are able to do it...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I'm not saying Canada IS GOING TO WIN... I am saying Canada SHOULD win... ON PAPER they are the best team in this tournament... Who knows, they could show up and stink the joint out and finish out of a medal (God forbid).... It's possible... BUT, I just see this year's team as being a team that has it all and I think they'll walk through the tournament with ease, as long as their goaltending holds up... They could prove me wrong, but I hope not...

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Reilly311 said:

So its another miracle that a US team that won only the bronze medal in 2002 managed to overcome their mediocrity and pulled off an unbelieveable feat of improving with age and experience over a year with many returnees and won the gold.

'Canada shouldn't even bother going' :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad