Dec 19, 2016
Not a prediction, but who I think deserves to win:

Hart: McDavid

Norris: Karlsson

Vezina: Bobrovsky

Selke: Bergeron

Lindsay: McDavid

Calder: Matthews

Forgot about the Jack Adams Award AKA the Coach in the First Year With His New Team Whose Team Improved the Most From Last Year When he Wasn't There Award AKA the Coach's Curse Award: Whoever is in the first year with his new team whose team improved the most from last year when he wasn't there is - Tortorella; pretty cut and dry. Why do they even bother having a vote for this award? Should just give it out like the Jennings, or the Rocket - It's the same reasoning for the winner every year.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It is the most sportsmanlike or the best at not taking penalties? I don't see how it's a major award in either case. I'm sure leadership has won hockey games too but that doesn't make the Mark Messier Leadership award a major award.

Let me ask you this, have only 3 defensemen won this award in its 90+ year history because defensemen are just naturally less sportsmanlike or is it because their role often requires them to make plays that disqualify them for the award to be effective? My guess is the latter.

You could argue that but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a coach has a greater effect on the play of rookies adjusting to the NHL for the first time than a coach has on a Vezina winner having another Vezina caliber season.

I guess from my perspective this is also a hockey IQ award....where you can excel and not NEED to make plays where you trip, slash, etc.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Hart: mcdavid 2nd choice Crosby
Vezina: bob 100%
Norris: EK 2nd choice burns
Calder: Matthews (murica)
Lady bying: panarin or tarasenko
Selke: kadri 2nd choice stone
Adams: torts for sure

Mitts Marner*

I don't understand when people say he brought a 30th place team into the playoffs. The leafs roster this year is not the same as last year, if it was the same they probably would have finished bottom 5 again.

30th place team with the addition of half a roster who had less than one full season of NHL experience COMBINED.

That's a huge note.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Hart: mcd
Lindsay: mcd
Vezna:bob
Selke: Kesler (gotta switch it up even though Bergeron is still the best defensive forward still)
Norris: Karlsson (should separate it into best offensive d man and best defenseive dman
Adams:Maurice
Lady bing: idk dumb award isn't it like the top 10 forward in scoring with the least penalty minutes or no?

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Why does Babcock get so much more love than Mclellan? The oil were just as bad last year. I think Torts or Boudreau should win tho

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What? He took them from 1 point better than the leafs last year to almost winning the pacific division.

still better than the Leafs

I don't think you can do better than 30th to a playoff spot unless you go from 30th to a cup and that won't happen

TBC

Dec 22, 2016
Hart (MVP) McDavid

Vezina (Best Goaltender) Bob

Norris (Best Defenseman) Karlsson

Calder (Best Rookie) Matthew

Lady Byng (Best gentle player) Pominville/Barkov/Matthews idk

Selke (Best defensive forward) Bergeron

Jack Adams (Best Coach) Babcock

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hart: McDavid
Lindsay: McDavid
Vezina:Bob
Selke: Bergeron
Norris: Karlsson
Adams: Torts/McLellan/Babcock (one of those three)
Lady Byng: Tarasenko

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Hart: Connor McDavid

Vezina: Sergei Bobrovsky

Norris: Erik Karlsson

Calder: Auston Matthews

Lady Byng: Oscar Klebom (Oilers best defenseman and only 3 minor penalties in 82 GP holy ****)

Selke: Ryan Kesler

Jack Adams: Claude Julien :naughty:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
still better than the Leafs

I don't think you can do better than 30th to a playoff spot unless you go from 30th to a cup and that won't happen

Leafs
30 to 14 = 16 place jump

Oilers
29 to 8 = 21 place jump

Colombus
27 to 4 = 24 place jump

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Leafs
30 to 14 = 16 place jump

Oilers
29 to 8 = 21 place jump

Colombus
27 to 4 = 24 place jump

Just to interject here....doing the "place jump" is largely dependent on other teams results. Let's look at the point tally...

Leafs = 26 point jump
Oilers = 33 point jump
Colombus = 32 point jump

;)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You could argue that but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a coach has a greater effect on the play of rookies adjusting to the NHL for the first time than a coach has on a Vezina winner having another Vezina caliber season.

Okay. So is this where we bring up Zach Werenski? ;)

* * *​
How often does a team who finished last place overall make the playoffs the next season?

How often does a team that finished with the 4th overall pick (pre-lottery) finish 4th overall in the NHL the next season?

If Columbus never goes on that 16 game winning streak this awards is Babcock's and no one would think twice about it.

And if Toronto loses in OT to the Penguins instead of winning, it's Tampa Bay facing off against Washington, and the "from last to playoffs" argument goes away.

Seriously, folks. Virtually every single argument being made in Babcock's favor also applies to Tortorella, only moreso. And virtually every criticism against Tortorella also applies to Babcock. It's not as clear-cut and simple as folks want to assume.

* * *​
Why does Babcock get so much more love than Mclellan? The oil were just as bad last year. I think Torts or Boudreau should win tho

Because Babcock was sold as a savior coach, and therefore it's clearly all him and his brilliance rather than Matthews/Marner/Nylander, whereas in Edmonton Connor McDavid was sold as a savior player and so clearly it's all on him and the Larsson trade rather than anything McLellan did. Much like how since Tortorella has spent a lot of time as a punchline and so therefore any Jackets improvement is entirely and exclusively the work of Sergei Bobrovsky carrying the team.

There's just many Leafs fans who are feeling insecure because they only made the playoffs by one point, and so they need to be assured that yes, the Savior did in fact save them. The Jack Adams would validate Babcock's savior status. Therefore, he clearly deserves it. That's just how it works. All other teams and/or coaches are the product of Something Else, because reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad