Speculation: Predict the upcoming contracts for Zegras/Terry/Drysdale

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
My predictions:

Zegras - 8 years 65M (8.125M AAV)
Right in line with what Hughes (8x8) and Stutzle (8x8.25) signed before this season, already looking like steals.

Terry - 6 years 45M (7.5M AAV)
This one for me is the toughest to pin down. Have to keep in mind that it will be covering almost all UFA years. The six year term sets him up to still earn another big contract at age 31.

Drysdale - 2 years 6.5M (3.25M AAV)
A bridge deal seems appropriate here given the missed season, but should have some leverage having played a season utilized in the top 4 already. 3M in year one, 3.5M in year two before becoming an RFA again at age 23...does that sound about right?

Curious to see all of your predictions.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I expect Drysdale to be right where you do. Kind of between the Romanov and Dobson bridges.

I really don't want to f*** with a bridge for Zegras. If he has even a semi breakout then his next contract will hurt so bad. Giving him an 8x8 would at worst be overpaying like 1-1.5 mil even if he stays a 60-70 point guy, which we all assume he wont. I think there is an argument for him to be in the 7s since he has similar production to the guys who are in the 7s (Boldy, Cozens, Suzuki). But it isn't worth saving 1 mil when the alternative is a bridge that could cost a lot longterm.

I think we see what Terry is. He is probably the best player on the Ducks, but he is also going into his age 26 season. I don't see him taking another huge developmental step the way he did last season. 6 years would obviously be perfect and take him through his age 31 season, but I would rather go 8 years and try to get a lower cap hit. Especially for a guy like Terry that everyone loves.

Zegras: 8x8
Terry: 8x7
Drysdale: 2x3

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Was thinking through Z and Terry's, but realized it pretty much came down to the same numbers (I thought Z would be at $8M flat, and that Terry would come in at 5 years).

Drysdale is a tough one for me because of the lost season. If he had played at roughly the same level offensively and improved slightly defensively I could see 2 years $4M. Right now I don't know if he passes 3M and I think he probably comes in at 2.5 - 2.75M AAV.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Was thinking through Z and Terry's, but realized it pretty much came down to the same numbers (I thought Z would be at $8M flat, and that Terry would come in at 5 years).

Drysdale is a tough one for me because of the lost season. If he had played at roughly the same level offensively and improved slightly defensively I could see 2 years $4M. Right now I don't know if he passes 3M and I think he probably comes in at 2.5 - 2.75M AAV.
Given that he has a newborn kid, I think Terry will want an 8 year contract, even if he makes a little less each year. He might be looking at a NTC/NMC to bring more stability.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What I hope
Zegras
8 years 7.5 mil

Terry
8 years 7 mil

Drysdale
I think 2 years 3.5 mil

I could see zegras getting more due to him being a money making player, and his brand he’s creating, could see him going into the mid 8s.

Terry 7 seems pretty safe, years could be debatable tho

Drysdale is kinda tough to predict, but I imagine he’s going to be asked to play 2-3 mins, so wouldn’t be shocked if he goes 3.5-4 range

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
What I hope
Zegras
8 years 7.5 mil

Terry
8 years 7 mil

Drysdale
I think 2 years 3.5 mil

I could see zegras getting more due to him being a money making player, and his brand he’s creating, could see him going into the mid 8s.

Terry 7 seems pretty safe, years could be debatable tho

Drysdale is kinda tough to predict, but I imagine he’s going to be asked to play 2-3 mins, so wouldn’t be shocked if he goes 3.5-4 range
Agreed

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
I know that a bridge for Drysdale is probably going to be the way we do things, and may even end up being smart long term, but I'd almost be tempted to go for a long-term deal of five or six years for him with a lower AAV than he'd get for his big contract after the bridge.

If he develops into a real stud of a D-man, we may end in a cap squeeze situation down the line with money needing to be doled out to him, Mintyukov, Zellweger and Luneau, plus whichever forward we draft this year. Might be better to gamble on his development a little now than risk losing our good young D because we end up negotiating contracts that force our hands further down the line.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I know that a bridge for Drysdale is probably going to be the way we do things, and may even end up being smart long term, but I'd almost be tempted to go for a long-term deal of five or six years for him with a lower AAV than he'd get for his big contract after the bridge.

If he develops into a real stud of a D-man, we may end in a cap squeeze situation down the line with money needing to be doled out to him, Mintyukov, Zellweger and Luneau, plus whichever forward we draft this year. Might be better to gamble on his development a little now than risk losing our good young D because we end up negotiating contracts that force our hands further down the line.

It takes two to tango though, the bridge seems more likely to me because I think Drysdale will want to bank on himself and not go long term until he's had the chance to get back and further establish himself. He could be leaving a ton of money on the table if he signed long term now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Z should yet something around Boldy or Cozens. He produced around them but on a much crappier team, and did it in two seasons .

Terry will get a little more than Zegras maybe 7 years.

Drysdale will be bridged since he missed most of last season.

Reactions: DavidBL

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think Z will sign a bridge unfortunately. Even if Z did sign an 8 year or something I still have a hard time seeing Terry getting less per year.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I hope PV being cheap with Lindholm doesn't extend to these 2 studs. Anything less than 6 years for Terry and 8 for Zegras would be a shame. We know what they are, we just need to field a competent defense and let them do their thing.

Drysdale on the other hand hasn't shown me enough. I'd actually be particularly hard on him and ask him to prove it, then pay him off big next off-season. I'm not trying to save money but motivate/challenge him. Beyond Fowler, we don't have much in the backend, and we really need him to step up and become a leader/difference maker on our defense.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If we could get Drysdale to a 5 year 4.5M contract I’d be in favor of it. That’s the type of gamble you need to pay off to win a cup sometimes

Reactions: mighty Stanley Duck

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
Z - 8 years - 7.75M
Terry - 7 years - 7.5M
Drysdale - 2 years - 3.5M

I am hoping Z doesn't get more than Hughes but given his relevance and importance to this team it is certainly possible he gets to 8-8.25. He is the new cornerstone of this franchise.

Terry needs to be here long term to provide a direction for this team as well as someone who can bear the C for a long time.

As much as Drysdale's injury really hurt his development, I can't wait to see what he looks like when he's healthy again next year. This also is a blessing for a bridge and allows us to cost control him for a little longer. Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson will hopefully be expensive for us later.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Don't think there's any way Terry accepts a 6 year deal, he's produced for two seasons now and is only 25. I see him around 8 x $7.5M.

Zegras will be at least $8M, probably more like 8 x $8.25M.

I'd love to convince Drysdale to sign a 6 x $5M, especially if he's spooked at all by last year's injury. Likely a bridge guy though where he bets on himself for a healthy 23-24' season.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
I’m a little nervous PV might bridge Z. I think that’d be a huge mistake but could see it happening.

I think Terry’s will be 7 million aav for 6 years. Drysdale will be bridged for sure

Don't see any upside to PV being stingy with Zegras, especially with how much cap space we have and with how marketable he's going to be for the franchise and younger fans.

Two 60+ point seasons at age 20/21 on a historically awful team is pretty damn good, and anything around $8M per will probably be a steal in the coming years.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m a little nervous PV might bridge Z. I think that’d be a huge mistake but could see it happening.

I think Terry’s will be 7 million aav for 6 years. Drysdale will be bridged for sure

If he bridges Z, this will no go over well. Some of his draft peers who he is outproducing and who are on much better teams have gotten their deals.

Reactions: Yemeth

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Part of me wonders if Terry will end up with a higher AAV than Zegras given the "he's our best player" line that was repeated throughout the season by players and staff. I would think that signifies how highly the team thinks of Terry.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I actually think Z will potentially want a shorter term. Maybe 5 x$7. I think Terry will want 8 but in the mid $7s. Jamie is the tough one. Would he go 5x5? Or would he prefer 2x$3?

The one I see coming together more easily is Terry. I could see that announced first. Not sure what PV wants in a JD deal but probably resolved after Terry. I think Z will be the tough one and may last through the summer if PV wants 8 and Z wants shorter.

Reactions: Duck Off

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I actually think Z will potentially want a shorter term. Maybe 5 x$7. I think Terry will want 8 but in the mid $7s. Jamie is the tough one. Would he go 5x5? Or would he prefer 2x$3?

The one I see coming together more easily is Terry. I could see that announced first. Not sure what PV wants in a JD deal but probably resolved after Terry. I think Z will be the tough one and may last through the summer if PV wants 8 and Z wants shorter.
Why would Zegras go shorter term?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad