Speculation: Predict the TDL outcome for Gudbranson and Vanek

What happens to Gudbranson and Vanek before the deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
gudbranson plays in florida tonight and then has a three game road trip in the east to convince teams out there he has some game before he returns to the west coast until the tdl.

if he wants to be traded you would think he will try to have a big game tonight.

15 minutes and change, and part of a truly ledyardian highlight for hutton.

i would say he is not getting traded or re-signed. they will take their lumps in the summer.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I expect nothing or disappointment from this franchise. So went with the first option.

I am tempted to take a day off on Feb 28th though. I haven't done that for a couple seasons but this TDL seems promising.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Contending teams didn't even want vanek last season. He ended up getting traded to Florida in one of the weirdest trades of the year.

Then he went completely unwanted all off season

I have no idea why people think he is valuable now

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hutton getting traded and Vanek staying feels like a very Benning thing to have happen.
Gudbranson moving for nominal return value, which then frustratingly gets used to justify that he was a sensible acquisition feels like the kind of thing that might happen, too.

It's not necessarily the most likely scenario, but it's what I'm dreading and anticipating.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Contending teams didn't even want vanek last season. He ended up getting traded to Florida in one of the weirdest trades of the year.

yeah, i just do not see vanek fetching much. he is surely not a target for a serious contender. i think he is really only attractive to a borderline playoff team trying to find inexpensive lightning in a bottle to get them over the regular season hump.

i think getting a 3rd for him would be surprising.

i have seen suggestions he is helping boeser, which makes some sense. if he is doing that i'd sooner keep him than take the minimal return.

Reactions: Hit the post

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017

yeah I don't see him having much value. 3rd or 4th round pick to a team without much cap space needing a bit of offense. Holding out hope for even a 2nd round pick is silly because nobody is going to bite.

I think it would be wise to move him right now for whatever you can get because there will be a lot of wingers on the market by the looks of things and you don't want to be left without a dance partner.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The league sure would be a pretty messed up and backwards place if Vanek doesn't have value at the trade deadline and Gudbranson does.

Vanek could be a really nice boost for a hard working team that lacks skill.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The league sure would be a pretty messed up and backwards place if Vanek doesn't have value at the trade deadline and Gudbranson does.

Vanek could be a really nice boost for a hard working team that lacks skill.

I've enjoyed having Vanek on the team this year. He's added a lot to the PP and has been fun to watch at times.

But the guy is a liability at ES. He's getting handed creamy soft minutes with tons of o-zone starts and still getting outscored horribly when he's on the ice. He's not a guy I'd touch if I'm a playoff team because he's a guy who makes you worse at ES when he's in your top-9 forwards.

Maybe if you're a good team with a crappy PP you give a 5th rounder for him and then bury him on your 4th line for 6 minutes/game + PP time.

The biggest reason this team sucks is that we have so many slow, old, skill players who can't keep up at ES getting played so much - Vanek, Sedins, Gagner. Eriksson to an extent although he's competent defensively.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
What I hope: Gudbranson to TB for 2nd + prospect, Vanek to LA/CGY for 2nd.
What I expect: Gudbranson re-signs 3 years/12.0 million, Vanek 1 year/3 million.
What will happen: Neither player gets traded or re-signs and both walk as UFAs.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've enjoyed having Vanek on the team this year. He's added a lot to the PP and has been fun to watch at times.

But the guy is a liability at ES. He's getting handed creamy soft minutes with tons of o-zone starts and still getting outscored horribly when he's on the ice. He's not a guy I'd touch if I'm a playoff team because he's a guy who makes you worse at ES when he's in your top-9 forwards.

Maybe if you're a good team with a crappy PP you give a 5th rounder for him and then bury him on your 4th line for 6 minutes/game + PP time.

The biggest reason this team sucks is that we have so many slow, old, skill players who can't keep up at ES getting played so much - Vanek, Sedins, Gagner. Eriksson to an extent although he's competent defensively.
That's why I mentioned hard-working team that lacks skill. I think that a low-scoring, strong defensive system team who can play him with two speedy defensive anchors who can take care of themselves would have use for him (this version of Vanek could have been useful on the 06-07 Canucks if we had played him with Burrows and Kesler or Cooke and Morrison even strength but on the first PP unit w/ the Sedins, for example). Not sure what team that would be this year, though.

Gudbranson, on the other hand, isn't useful or worth trading for in any capacity, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad