Speculation: Predict the TDL outcome for Gudbranson and Vanek

What happens to Gudbranson and Vanek before the deadline?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Vanek for a 2nd and prospect

Gudbranson for a 3rd and AHLer dud

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
If the market for Gudbranson isn't there, I think the Canucks might try to get Gudbranson to sign another short-term deal at reasonable dollars. If Gudbranson is determined to test free agency, I think he's dealt for an underwhelming return (say a 3rd and a 7th).

I don't think Vanek's trade value is as high as we might think, and if he's willing to come back on a short term deal at this year's salary, I think the Canucks might bring him back. If he's not re-signed, I'm not expecting anything more than a 3rd round pick.

If the trade deadline is mishandled, it's going to be the last line of the obituary for Benning's tenure as GM.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
TSN Insider trading said the Canucks are looking at a multi-year deal for Gudbranson. We are getting nothing for either player. If the Canucks aren't thrilled with a 3rd round pick for Gudbranson (which is generous in my opinion), then they aren't shipping out Vanek for the same value.

Just another turd in Benning's dunce cap.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
My thinking: Vanek signs mult-year deal (chemistry with Boeser / pressure off of Boeser + Sedin uncertainty sourced as reasons why)... Canucks try to also sign Gudbranson, but he's hell-bent on being a UFA... traded for a "Dorsett-toughness-replacement" and a non-1st pick. Also, Benning would want to end the season as strongly as he can (he's a lame duck GM)... He'd want to keep both Gudbranson and Vanek, I'd think, and I also think he'd be loathed to let both go, especially for futures. Vanek would probably return the most value in the form of a draft pick. At the best of times, trading roster players for draft picks seems like the worst case scenario for Benning. I don't see Vanek getting traded for a pick, and I don't see another team offering a roster player or prospect for Vanek (and nor is Benning most concerned with the future at this trade deadline... He'd be most concerned with the team ending strong this year). Vanek re-signed... Gudbranson wanted to be re-signed, but traded for "Dorsett-toughness-replacement" + non-1st pick.

Last edited:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
At this point I'm fine with a repeat of the 2016 deadline debacle where we don't trade both and both walk away during free agency for nothing if it means Benning is canned.

But I'm expecting a dumb extension for Guddy from Benning

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Vanek was better last year in Detroit and got less than that.

And do you really think Benning is going to target draft picks?

My guess: Neither gets moved. But if they do get moved it'll be for some mediocre older prospects. Perhaps Slater Koekkoek from Tampa (for Gudbranson). Not sure what team would be in for Vanek (if anyone).

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
If Gudbranson is traded, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to go for a prospect or age gap player as their target in order to make the value of the return a little more nebulous.

If they trade him for a 3rd from a top team that's going to look pretty terrible compared to what they traded for him; it's basically what they gave up to get Pouliot who was probably about to hit the waiver wire. On the other hand, if they trade him for a player like Pouliot I'm sure they'll be able to talk him up and convince at least a few die hards that they just got a young Drew Doughty.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
It kind of is a buyers market, but they should be getting out ahead of it and making something happen.

I'm saying both are moved and we do it proper this TDL. Those are my expectations for what we should be doing based on the team we have.

jester00

Jun 9, 2011
Western Canada
They'd better both be traded, no 2 ways about it. There shouldn't be a single player on this roster outside of Horvat and Boeser who isn't available. If someone offers value, you move them, period.

Reactions: Cupless44

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Gudbranson is traded, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to go for a prospect or age gap player as their target in order to make the value of the return a little more nebulous.

If they trade him for a 3rd from a top team that's going to look pretty terrible compared to what they traded for him; it's basically what they gave up to get Pouliot who was probably about to hit the waiver wire. On the other hand, if they trade him for a player like Pouliot I'm sure they'll be able to talk him up and convince at least a few die hards that they just got a young Drew Doughty.

Don't forget that we gave up a 4th round pick to acquire Gudbranson too. We may get a slight return on that investment, but the McCann/33rd overall pick portion of that trade is a sunk cost that won't be recovered.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Vanek, based on his history, I'd say conditional 3rd moving up to a 2nd if they win a round or a 2nd straight up max.

Gudbranson, same thing. Think he ultimately goes for a 2nd.

Be interesting if they offer up mdz, nilsson, gagner, etc. as well.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think both get moved. In Gudbranson's case we know they already tried to move him. His notion of his value is much higher than the team's, at least that is what I gather from reading between the lines. He intends on testing the market and will be dealt. I think the recent "news" about the contract talks are more posturing, and also finding out more details that other GMs may be asking for. Though I cannot fathom why, he does still carry value to some GMs around the league. I think one of them will bite for a 2nd rounder, or a 3rd and a middling prospect. However in Gudbranson's case, others like Green, Kronwall, McDonagh and possibly even OEL situations would need to resolve first.

For Vanek, I'm sure some team will take him for a 3rd, and that's my expected return. I hope someone will pay a 2nd but I don't see it happening since he put up similar stats last year and the Wings couldn't unload him without taking on some salary. I'd consider re-signing him though.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Real Gud gets moved for whatever. If Vanek doesn't bring back a reasonable return, there is some sense in keeping him around to play with Horvat and Boeser. I voted, just Gudbranson gets dealt.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Real Gud gets moved for whatever. If Vanek doesn't bring back a reasonable return, there is some sense in keeping him around to play with Horvat and Boeser. I voted, just Gudbranson gets dealt.
If vanek is not coveted at the tdl for any more than a 4th, then recoup that 4th and sign him in the summer. It would clearly tell the team that the competition for his services in the summer will be small.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Guds has some value to a team going deep in the playoffs. He has size and grit. Valuable. The fact he can't play hockey doesn't matter.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
If vanek is not coveted at the tdl for any more than a 4th, then recoup that 4th and sign him in the summer. It would clearly tell the team that the competition for his services in the summer will be small.

This is a good point. Even if they do want to bring Vanek back, there's no reason why they can't get something now, and then test the waters come July 1.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

This group is not smart enough for that.

"What if Vanek goes on to lead his new team to a Cup? That could have been OUR Cup!!!!! Why would we risk that just to get a fourth?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad