Speculation: Predict the Lightning's regular season record

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'll start off by saying I hope this thread wasn't already done and if I missed it my bad guys.Before making my prediction I'd like to say a few things. I think it's safe to say this: "The Lightning are going to be good this year". But I must admit HOW good is going to come down to our goaltending as usual. We go as Ben goes. If he goes on and has a crazy great year and wins the Vezina don't be surprised if we win over 50 games. If he and Nabokov stink up the joint we'll be lucky to win 35 games. I personally think we are another year away (this year) from being a true contender in the East. However, given the changes Steve Yzerman has made like trading Purcell and Crombeen, acquiring like half the NYR roster and their experience of a Stanley Cup Finals from last year, acquiring Nabokov and all but clearing the way so our prospects like Connolly, Drouin and Kucherov all have a spot waiting for them, I'd say that HE thinks our time is now. And I haven't even gotten to our X factor yet.

I'm cautiously VERY optimistic about what this team can do because of our X factor: our coach. Jon Cooper has proven time and again as a coach that when he has a talented team in front of him, he gets the best out of those players and wins CHAMPIONSHIPS. He did it with the Green Bay Gamblers, he did with the Norfolk Admirals and Steve Almighty has set the table for him to win. The man knows what it takes to win championships. So onward!

I think the Lightning will go 48-24-10 for 106 points in the standings and make it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

PS (and no you guys don't have to read this, it's just something I feel very strongly about)- Funny little note about me as a fan. When Yzerman was hired I flipped out in excitement. We got the guy who worked with Ken Holland and I KNEW he was going to be good. But when he hired Boucher I always had this uneasy feeling... that Guy wasn't going to work out. I wasn't so sure about it. The honeymoon ended when he said, "We are starting over" the year after we went to Game 7 of the ECF. Then the uneasy came back. I never felt that way about Cooper. When he was down there in Norfolk tearing it up with 20 wins in a row, 21 wins in a row, 22 wins in a row I said to myself, "Man it sucks we have Boucher up here now preaching structure and discipline. Some team is going to snatch this Cooper guy up and win BIG with him. Just look at him... he's ALWAYS the same! He's like the happiest guy in the world. Does he even get in a bad mood? I wish Jon was up here now" I thought I wanted Lindy Ruff when he was fired and I was experiencing a momentary lapse of judgment. But when we hired Cooper I changed my tune in about 5 minutes. I mean it's not like he didn't already coach half our team in the minors anyway!! And HE won championships with those players. Not Lindy Ruff. I have NEVER once thought to myself we don't have the right guy for the job.

Guys I REALLY think we have the makings of something great here. The day Vinik took over he wanted a "World Class" sports club and I'll be damned if we don't have that right now. I truly think last year was the dawn of a golden era of Lightning hockey and this year will be our affirmation.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Steven Stamkos will break his other leg, Ben Bishop will fall victim to the Frantz Jean curse, Jonathan Drouin will prove too ugly to get through customs and have to stay home for all games in Canada (despite being Canadian), Ondrej Palat sucks anyway, Victor Hedman is too tall, Ryan Callahan makes too much money, Matt Carle is not an NHL defenseman, Steve Yzerman is a Red Wing undercover, our players consist of nobodies who must suck because I don't know any of those names.

We miss the playoffs and yet manage to just miss out on the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes as well and our team is doomed to 20 years of mediocrity.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Steven Stamkos will break his other leg, Ben Bishop will fall victim to the Frantz Jean curse, Jonathan Drouin will prove too ugly to get through customs and have to stay home for all games in Canada (despite being Canadian), Ondrej Palat sucks anyway, Victor Hedman is too tall, Ryan Callahan makes too much money, Matt Carle is not an NHL defenseman, Steve Yzerman is a Red Wing undercover, our players consist of nobodies who must suck because I don't know any of those names.

We miss the playoffs and yet manage to just miss out on the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes as well and our team is doomed to 20 years of mediocrity.

rjj6qL9.gif

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I'll start off by saying I hope this thread wasn't already done and if I missed it my bad guys.Before making my prediction I'd like to say a few things. I think it's safe to say this: "The Lightning are going to be good this year". But I must admit HOW good is going to come down to our goaltending as usual. We go as Ben goes. If he goes on and has a crazy great year and wins the Vezina don't be surprised if we win over 50 games. If he and Nabokov stink up the joint we'll be lucky to win 35 games. I personally think we are another year away (this year) from being a true contender in the East. However, given the changes Steve Yzerman has made like trading Purcell and Crombeen, acquiring like half the NYR roster and their experience of a Stanley Cup Finals from last year, acquiring Nabokov and all but clearing the way so our prospects like Connolly, Drouin and Kucherov all have a spot waiting for them, I'd say that HE thinks our time is now. And I haven't even gotten to our X factor yet.

I'm cautiously VERY optimistic about what this team can do because of our X factor: our coach. Jon Cooper has proven time and again as a coach that when he has a talented team in front of him, he gets the best out of those players and wins CHAMPIONSHIPS. He did it with the Green Bay Gamblers, he did with the Norfolk Admirals and Steve Almighty has set the table for him to win. The man knows what it takes to win championships. So onward!

I think the Lightning will go 48-24-10 for 106 points in the standings and make it to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs.

PS (and no you guys don't have to read this, it's just something I feel very strongly about)- Funny little note about me as a fan. When Yzerman was hired I flipped out in excitement. We got the guy who worked with Ken Holland and I KNEW he was going to be good. But when he hired Boucher I always had this uneasy feeling... that Guy wasn't going to work out. I wasn't so sure about it. The honeymoon ended when he said, "We are starting over" the year after we went to Game 7 of the ECF. Then the uneasy came back. I never felt that way about Cooper. When he was down there in Norfolk tearing it up with 20 wins in a row, 21 wins in a row, 22 wins in a row I said to myself, "Man it sucks we have Boucher up here now preaching structure and discipline. Some team is going to snatch this Cooper guy up and win BIG with him. Just look at him... he's ALWAYS the same! He's like the happiest guy in the world. Does he even get in a bad mood? I wish Jon was up here now" I thought I wanted Lindy Ruff when he was fired and I was experiencing a momentary lapse of judgment. But when we hired Cooper I changed my tune in about 5 minutes. I mean it's not like he didn't already coach half our team in the minors anyway!! And HE won championships with those players. Not Lindy Ruff. I have NEVER once thought to myself we don't have the right guy for the job.

Guys I REALLY think we have the makings of something great here. The day Vinik took over he wanted a "World Class" sports club and I'll be damned if we don't have that right now. I truly think last year was the dawn of a golden era of Lightning hockey and this year will be our affirmation.

pretty close to what I have figured out. I think 4 more wins is 49 and 4 more ties believe had seven so 11 is what I will go with so think that is three more points total of 109

Think we finish with first or second best record in nhl.

Think we go far in playoffs just not sure how far yet. Remains to be seen how we mesh together what vital kids come through etc..

Nepean Lightning

Jul 4, 2014
Ontario
46-28-8 for 100 pts.

3rd best record in east behind boston and pittsburgh.

If the youth play well id say we make it to the SCF, if not, ,maybe loose in the 2nd round.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Last season was the last year of our rebuild. From here on out, Yzerman will be icing teams going for the cup. The drought is over. Don't know what the record will be, but I expect to be In the playoffs come April.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I completely understand not wanting to jinx the season but it seems we here have more confidence in a jinx than the team SFY has built.

SFY > jinxes

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I expect this team to be in the playoffs for sure! Records are hard to predict depends on what injuries we have. If we keep hedman, bishop and stamkos healthy I think 2nd in the east 105 points.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Hate to break it to some of you. But no such thing as jinxes.

99 percent of the time it somehow ends up based on talent and coaching.

Therefore I will make a mild prediction the Lightning will easily go over 100 points and win the Presidents thing.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Hate to break it to some of you. But no such thing as jinxes.

99 percent of the time it somehow ends up based on talent and coaching.

Therefore I will make a mild prediction the Lightning will easily go over 100 points and win the Presidents thing.

We are better off then last year! I have way more faith in Nabokov then lindback for sure! Bishop and Nabokov as a one two punch could be best in NHL next year.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
You do not want the curse of the Presidents Trophy to comes down on you.
109 pts, #1 seed in the East but behind the #1 in the West.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
We can't really get more unlucky than last season and we made the playoffs. This roster is better than last years by a pretty large amount. High seed and some playoff success.

Side note: Feel free to quote my first sentence later on if I jinxed it :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad