Predict the 2015/16 FM Leaders for Each Team

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Given current NHL rosters, who will lead each time in fighting majors this coming season? I'll start:

East (Atlantic) :

*Montreal: Jarred Tinordi - It's difficult to even predict a ballpark-range for how many FM he'll have, since it is unclear how much he'll play this season. Montreal has nobody else who will fight more than a couple times, so I think Tinordi leads regardless.
*Toronto: Dion Phaneuf (5) - Another team that may get pushed around.
*Ottawa: Chris Neil (15) - 8 fights in less than 40 games last year due to injury. If he can stay healthy there's no doubt he'll do most of the heavy lifting, though Borowiecki did fine last year in his absence.
*Tampa Bay: Cedric Paquette (4) - With the departure of Morrow, looks like Boyle and Paquette will be the only regulars in the lineup who will fight occasionally.
*Florida: Shawn Thornton (10) - 6 fights in 46 games last year. He'll likely lead Florida again.
*Detroit: Brendan Smith (4) - Detroit will likely only fight about 10 times next year. Smith is basically the only one halfway decent with the gloves off.
*Boston: Zac Rinaldo (8) - It's between him and McQuaid. Rinaldo will likely have to step it up a bit in Boston. He got away without fighting a lot in Philadelphia with guys like Simmonds and White.
*Buffalo: Nicolas Deslauriers (10) - Don't think McCormick plays much for them, so Deslauriers leads the Sabres

Metropolitan:

*Columbus: Jared Boll (16) - Columbus will be a physical team next season with guys like Boll, Dubinsky, Foligno, Prout, Clarkson, and Campbell. Unless Boll gets knocked out of the lineup by a younger guy, he leads them in FM once again.
*Philadelphia: Ryan White (10) - He'll get 4th line minutes. Proved to be a better fit than Rinaldo.
*Pittsburgh: Bobby Farnham (7) - The Pens are looking really soft with the departures of Downie, Sill, Bortuzzo, and Adams. Don't know how much time Farnham will get, but he's basically the only one who will fight.
*NY Rangers: Tanner Glass - Difficult to predict a number because he may get scratched with the influx of prospects and the signing of Jarret Stoll.
*NY Islanders: Matt Martin (10) - Isles didn't fight much last year. Martin leads them in FM again.
*New Jersey: Jordin Tootoo (10) - Played well for NJ last year and he'll get regular 4th line minutes again.
*Carolina: Brad Malone (8) - Was decent when he scrapped last year. Not really anyone else on the 'Canes willing to do it.
*Washington: Tom Wilson (14) - Washington will be difficult to play against next year with guys like Wilson, Latta, and Sill in the lineup.

West (Central):

*St. Louis: Ryan Reaves (10) - With the West getting more physical, Reaves will have to step it up this season.
*Chicago: Andrew Desjardins (10) -
*Nashville: Barret Jackman (8) - Nashville doesn't do a ton of fighting. Jackman will do the majority of the heavy lifting for them.
*Colorado: Cody McLeod (20) - He's not the heavyweight champ of the league but he's willing. Interested to see how much playing time Patrick Bordeleau gets too.
*Winnipeg: Chris Thorburn (10) - Winnipeg will be a physical team again this year with guys like Thorburn, Peluso, Stuart, and Byfulgien.
*Minnesota: Ryan Carter (4) - Minnesota might be the softest team in the league.
Dallas: Antoine Roussel (12) - Curtis McKenzie will scrap too. Dallas has a very well-balanced team.

Pacific:

*Anaheim: Tim Jackman (10) - Anaheim will have plenty of firepower with Stewart, Maroon, Stoner, Jackman, and Bieksa.
*San Jose: Brenden Dillon (6) - Not sure how much Mike Brown will play this coming season. If he gets a decent amount of games he'll handle most of the fighting, but for the time being I've got Dillon.
*'Yotes: Kyle Chipchura (10) - Additions of Downie and Scott will make them more difficult to play against.
*Edmonton: Luke Gazdic (15) - If he can stay healthy, Gazdic will be busy next year.
*Vancouver: Derek Dorsett and Brandon Prust (15) - Lots of fireworks with these two in the bottom 6.
*Calgary: Deryk Engelland (10) - Calgary will be a fairly physical team again next season. Brandon Bollig's playing time may be decreased, so I'm thinking Engelland leads the team in FM.
*Los Angeles: Kyle Clifford (10) - Lucic may fight a bit more than last year, but I still think Clifford will do most of it.

Keep in mind that guys like BJ Crombeen and Tom Sestito are still out there. If they get 4th line minutes then this may change the results a bit.

What do you guys think?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Given current NHL rosters, who will lead each time in fighting majors this coming season? I'll start:

East (Atlantic) :

*Montreal: Jarred Tinordi - It's difficult to even predict a ballpark-range for how many FM he'll have, since it is unclear how much he'll play this season. Montreal has nobody else who will fight more than a couple times, so I think Tinordi leads regardless.
*Toronto: Dion Phaneuf (5) - Another team that may get pushed around.
*Ottawa: Chris Neil (15) - 8 fights in less than 40 games last year due to injury. If he can stay healthy there's no doubt he'll do most of the heavy lifting, though Borowiecki did fine last year in his absence.
*Tampa Bay: Cedric Paquette (4) - With the departure of Morrow, looks like Boyle and Paquette will be the only regulars in the lineup who will fight occasionally.
*Florida: Shawn Thornton (10) - 6 fights in 46 games last year. He'll likely lead Florida again.
*Detroit: Brendan Smith (4) - Detroit will likely only fight about 10 times next year. Smith is basically the only one halfway decent with the gloves off.
*Boston: Zac Rinaldo (8) - It's between him and McQuaid. Rinaldo will likely have to step it up a bit in Boston. He got away without fighting a lot in Philadelphia with guys like Simmonds and White.
*Buffalo: Nicolas Deslauriers (10) - Don't think McCormick plays much for them, so Deslauriers leads the Sabres

Metropolitan:

*Columbus: Jared Boll (16) - Columbus will be a physical team next season with guys like Boll, Dubinsky, Foligno, Prout, Clarkson, and Campbell. Unless Boll gets knocked out of the lineup by a younger guy, he leads them in FM once again.
*Philadelphia: Ryan White (10) - He'll get 4th line minutes. Proved to be a better fit than Rinaldo.
*Pittsburgh: Bobby Farnham (7) - The Pens are looking really soft with the departures of Downie, Sill, Bortuzzo, and Adams. Don't know how much time Farnham will get, but he's basically the only one who will fight.
*NY Rangers: Tanner Glass - Difficult to predict a number because he may get scratched with the influx of prospects and the signing of Jarret Stoll.
*NY Islanders: Matt Martin (10) - Isles didn't fight much last year. Martin leads them in FM again.
*New Jersey: Jordin Tootoo (10) - Played well for NJ last year and he'll get regular 4th line minutes again.
*Carolina: Brad Malone (8) - Was decent when he scrapped last year. Not really anyone else on the 'Canes willing to do it.
*Washington: Tom Wilson (14) - Washington will be difficult to play against next year with guys like Wilson, Latta, and Sill in the lineup.

West (Central):

*St. Louis: Ryan Reaves (10) - With the West getting more physical, Reaves will have to step it up this season.
*Chicago: Andrew Desjardins (10) -
*Nashville: Barret Jackman (8) - Nashville doesn't do a ton of fighting. Jackman will do the majority of the heavy lifting for them.
*Colorado: Cody McLeod (20) - He's not the heavyweight champ of the league but he's willing. Interested to see how much playing time Patrick Bordeleau gets too.
*Winnipeg: Chris Thorburn (10) - Winnipeg will be a physical team again this year with guys like Thorburn, Peluso, Stuart, and Byfulgien.
*Minnesota: Ryan Carter (4) - Minnesota might be the softest team in the league.
Dallas: Antoine Roussel (12) - Curtis McKenzie will scrap too. Dallas has a very well-balanced team.

Pacific:

*Anaheim: Tim Jackman (10) - Anaheim will have plenty of firepower with Stewart, Maroon, Stoner, Jackman, and Bieksa.
*San Jose: Brenden Dillon (6) - Not sure how much Mike Brown will play this coming season. If he gets a decent amount of games he'll handle most of the fighting, but for the time being I've got Dillon.
*'Yotes: Kyle Chipchura (10) - Additions of Downie and Scott will make them more difficult to play against.
*Edmonton: Luke Gazdic (15) - If he can stay healthy, Gazdic will be busy next year.
*Vancouver: Derek Dorsett and Brandon Prust (15) - Lots of fireworks with these two in the bottom 6.
*Calgary: Deryk Engelland (10) - Calgary will be a fairly physical team again next season. Brandon Bollig's playing time may be decreased, so I'm thinking Engelland leads the team in FM.
*Los Angeles: Kyle Clifford (10) - Lucic may fight a bit more than last year, but I still think Clifford will do most of it.

Keep in mind that guys like BJ Crombeen and Tom Sestito are still out there. If they get 4th line minutes then this may change the results a bit.

What do you guys think?

Great list, BB2426. I copied and pasted your list, and gave my personal opinion on fight leaders on teams.

East (Atlantic) :

*Montreal: Zack Kassian (7)
*Toronto: Sam Carrick (6)
*Ottawa: Mark Borowiecki (10)
*Tampa Bay: Cedric Paquette/Mike Angelidis (4)
*Florida: Shawn Thornton (8)
*Detroit: Brendan Smith/Tyler Bertuzzi/Justin Abdelkader (3)
*Boston: Adam McQuaid (11)
*Buffalo: Nicolas Deslauriers (12)

Metropolitan:

*Columbus: Jared Boll (14)
*Philadelphia: Ryan White (10) - Agreed.
*Pittsburgh: Bobby Farnham (5)
*NY Rangers: Tanner Glass (11)
*NY Islanders: Matt Martin (13)
*New Jersey: Jordin Tootoo (10) - Agreed.
*Carolina: Brad Malone (8) - Agreed.
*Washington: Tom Wilson (14) - Agreed.

West (Central):

*St. Louis: Steve Ott (12)
*Chicago: Andrew Desjardins (8)
*Nashville: Barret Jackman (8) - Agreed.
*Colorado: Cody McLeod (20) - Agreed.
*Winnipeg: Chris Thorburn (10) - Agreed.
*Minnesota: Ryan Carter/Kurtis Gabriel (3)
Dallas: Antoine Roussel (12) - Agreed.

Pacific:

*Anaheim: Patrick Maroon (12)
*San Jose: Mike Brown (7)
*'Yotes: Steve Downie (9)
*Edmonton: Matt Hendricks (12)
*Vancouver: Derek Dorsett and Brandon Prust (15) - Agreed.
*Calgary: Brandon Bollig/Deryk Engelland (8)
*Los Angeles: Kyle Clifford (9)

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Atlantic
Montreal-Zack Kassian (9)
Toronto-Dion Phaneuf (8)
Ottawa-Chris Neil (14)
Buffalo-Cody McCormick (10)
Boston-Maxime Talbot (7)
Detroit-Justin Abdelkader(5)
Florida-Shawn Thorton (18)
Tampa Bay-Brian Boyle (4)

Metropolitan
Columbus-Greg Campbell (9)
Pittsburgh-Bobby Farnham (4)
Washington-Zach Sill (10)
Philadelphia-Ryan White (24)
New York Rangers-Tanner Glass (11)
New York Islanders-Matt Martin (9)
New Jersey-Jordin Tootoo (6)
Carolina-Brad Malone (9)

Central
Winnipeg-Chris Thoburn (7)
Chicago-Andrew Desjardins (7)
St. Louis-Steve Ott (10)
Minnesota-Matt Dumba (5)
Colorado-Patrick Bordeleau (15)
Dallas-antoine Rousell (14)
Nashville-Barrett Jackman (7)

Pacific
Calgary-Deryk Engelland (8)
Edmonton-Luke Gazdic (15)
Vancouver-Brandon Prust (25)
Anaheim-Patrick Maroon (11)
Los Angeles-Kyle Clifford (12)
San Jose-Mike Brown (10)
Arizona-John Scott (21)

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Bordeleau won't fight 15 times for two reasons:

1. I doubt he gets enough playing time to drop them 15 times
2. There's not 15 guys dumb enough to fight him, last time he was healthy he would either get kicked out of the game for even looking at someone or other teams players were evading him like the black plague, the only ones who might drop with him are the true super HW's and there aren't many of those left

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Montreal: Zack Kassian (8)
Toronto: Dion Phaneuf (5)
Ottawa: Chris Neil (10)
Tampa Bay: Brian Boyle (5)
Florida: Shawn Thornton (9)
Detroit: Brendan Smith (4)
Boston: Adam McQuaid (10)
Buffalo: Nicolas Deslauriers (11)

Metropolitan:

Columbus: Jared Boll (14)
Philadelphia: Ryan White (10)
Pittsburgh: Bobby Farnham (9)
NY Rangers: Tanner Glass (6)
NY Islanders: Matt Martin (10)
New Jersey: Jordin Tootoo (9)
Carolina: Brad Malone (6)
Washington: Tom Wilson (11)

West (Central):

St. Louis: Ryan Reaves (11)
Chicago: Andrew Desjardins (10)
Nashville: Barret Jackman (6)
Colorado: Cody McLeod (15)
Winnipeg: Anthony Peluso (10)
Minnesota: Ryan Carter (5)
Dallas: Antoine Roussell (9)

Pacific:

Anaheim: Patrick Maroon (9)
San Jose: Mike Brown (7)
Arizona: Steve Downie (7)
Edmonton: Luke Gazdic (12)
Vancouver: Brandon Prust (14)
Calgary: Deryk Engelland (11)
Los Angeles: Kyle Clifford (9)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Geeze, there really are some super soft teams out there. Minnesota and Carolina I'm looking at you.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Montreal might not have a "go-to" fighter, but I wouldn't underplay Beaulieu's nastyness. He's the kind of guy who could come up and fight almost 10 times this season.

LG18

May 10, 2013
Montreal
Montreal might not have a "go-to" fighter, but I wouldn't underplay Beaulieu's nastyness. He's the kind of guy who could come up and fight almost 10 times this season.

I think 10 is pushing it. He's a surprizing fighter but he's also on the verge of being a top-4 d-man. I'm not sure the team wants him to drop the gloves as much as 10 times. I expect Nate to go at it 4 or 5 times MAX this season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Great list, BB2426. I copied and pasted your list, and gave my personal opinion on fight leaders on teams.

East (Atlantic) :

*Montreal: Zack Kassian (7)
*Toronto: Sam Carrick (6)
*Ottawa: Mark Borowiecki (10)
*Tampa Bay: Cedric Paquette/Mike Angelidis (4)
*Florida: Shawn Thornton (8)
*Detroit: Brendan Smith/Tyler Bertuzzi/Justin Abdelkader (3)
*Boston: Adam McQuaid (11)
*Buffalo: Nicolas Deslauriers (12)

Metropolitan:

*Columbus: Jared Boll (14)
*Philadelphia: Ryan White (10) - Agreed.
*Pittsburgh: Bobby Farnham (5)
*NY Rangers: Tanner Glass (11)
*NY Islanders: Matt Martin (13)
*New Jersey: Jordin Tootoo (10) - Agreed.
*Carolina: Brad Malone (8) - Agreed.
*Washington: Tom Wilson (14) - Agreed.

West (Central):

*St. Louis: Steve Ott (12)
*Chicago: Andrew Desjardins (8)
*Nashville: Barret Jackman (8) - Agreed.
*Colorado: Cody McLeod (20) - Agreed.
*Winnipeg: Chris Thorburn (10) - Agreed.
*Minnesota: Ryan Carter/Kurtis Gabriel (3)
Dallas: Antoine Roussel (12) - Agreed.

Pacific:

*Anaheim: Patrick Maroon (12)
*San Jose: Mike Brown (7)
*'Yotes: Steve Downie (9)
*Edmonton: Matt Hendricks (12)
*Vancouver: Derek Dorsett and Brandon Prust (15) - Agreed.
*Calgary: Brandon Bollig/Deryk Engelland (8)
*Los Angeles: Kyle Clifford (9)

Agreed here. Hendricks is an everyday player in Edmonton; I'd be surprised if Gazdic got into 30 games.

steezyjeeves

Apr 18, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

2. There's not 15 guys dumb enough to fight him, last time he was healthy he would either get kicked out of the game for even looking at someone or other teams players were evading him like the black plague, the only ones who might drop with him are the true super HW's and there aren't many of those left

Exactly. For the same reason Gazdic will have many fewer fights than most are predicting.

Other than their lack of ice time, VERY few guys are still around that are on their level, and the few middleweights/light-heavyweights that might be able to hang with them if it comes down to it are aging and will only go if its absolutely necessary - Thornton, Neil, Prust (not that old but has a bad shoulder), Jackman come to mind.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada

Ryan White and Luke Gazdic are dumb enough. Colorado plays Edmonton 3 times and the Flyers twice. Every players can fight 3 times a game so you got 9 fight vs Gazdic and 6 vs White.
9+6=15

Monahan For Mayor*

I don't know what SJ plans on doing with McGrattan but, he's the best fighter in the league. Beat the snot out of most the heavys in the leagu at one point or anther. He really couldn't pay for guys to fight him last year tho.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Tougher fight then Chris Neil or Jared Cowen or Mike Brown?

Do you even know who Bordeleau is? I like White, but a fight against Bordeleau could end up as a disaster for him. Neil is a tactical fighter and a really good one at that, but he doesn't have near the power or the reach of Bordeleau, not sure what Brown and Cowen are doing in a comparison with Bordy.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Do you even know who Bordeleau is? I like White, but a fight against Bordeleau could end up as a disaster for him. Neil is a tactical fighter and a really good one at that, but he doesn't have near the power or the reach of Bordeleau, not sure what Brown and Cowen are doing in a comparison with Bordy.

Cowen is the same size then Bordeleau and the biggest guy white fought in the NHL

Bruise Bros 2426

Jul 17, 2011
Ryan White fought Eric Boulton last year. That doesn't guarantee that he'll fight Bordeleau but who knows.

There aren't many guys who will go with Bordeleau. Off the top of my head:

1. Anthony Peluso
2. Luke Gazdic
3. John Scott
4. Deryk Engelland
5. Shawn Thornton
6. Jared Boll

Ryan Reaves, Chris Neil, Brandon Bollig, Deryk Engelland, and Ryan White are guys that may, but I don't see many of them doing it. I don't think McGrattan will see much (if any) time in the NHL this year. Tom Sestito will go with him but it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to find his way back into the league.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Eric Boulton, though tough as hell is an aging HW, and a fairly small one. Bordy is like 6'6'', 240...

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
So what? He's not a good fighter and would get destroyed against Bordeleau.

Ryan White fought Eric Boulton last year. That doesn't guarantee that he'll fight Bordeleau but who knows.

There aren't many guys who will go with Bordeleau. Off the top of my head:

1. Anthony Peluso
2. Luke Gazdic
3. John Scott
4. Deryk Engelland
5. Shawn Thornton
6. Jared Boll

Ryan Reaves, Chris Neil, Brandon Bollig, Deryk Engelland, and Ryan White are guys that may, but I don't see many of them doing it. I don't think McGrattan will see much (if any) time in the NHL this year. Tom Sestito will go with him but it remains to be seen whether he'll be able to find his way back into the league.
Fine Bordeleau can fight Gazdic 6 times and John scott 6 times then 3 more fight against anyone else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad