World Cup: Predict possible 2022 WC national teams rosters/lineups

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Ghana has a hell of a lot more to work with than Jamaica though.
They do... although it appears they may be short a midfielder of some distinction as he seems to enjoy being Jack the ripper light.. Not sure who is waiting to replace him..

Reactions: luiginb

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia:

GK: Livakovic, Ivusic, Grbic
Defence: Gvardiol, J. Sutalo, Stanisic, Erlic, Caleta-Car, Sosa, Juranovic, Lovren, Vrsaljko
Midfield: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Sucic, Majer, Pasalic, Moro, Vlasic
Forwards: Perisic, Kramaric, Brekalo, Orsic, Livaja, Budimir/Musa

Pretty much agree to this other than some depth pieces
- If Grbic doesn't find a club where he will start he won't go and that spot will go to a HNL keeper or possibly Kotarski if he starts at PAOK. Interestingly, Kahlina seems to be getting rave reviews at Charlotte but moving to MLS probably puts him outside of Dalic's radar
- Completely agree with the defense, Barisic is not NT material and as you said they have cover there anyway with Juranovic now and even Gvardiol in emergency situations. I don't know what his club situation will be but for some reason I can see Vida making it over Lovren, to me Lovren lacks character and will probably cause a stink if he doesn't start where that won't be an issue with Vida. Uremovic moving to Hertha is interesting, another versatile player to look out for and somebody who has played for the NT before
- Agree with the midfield, only question is of course the "backup DM" which is realistically between Moro and Jakic, Vlasic seems like he will make the squad regardless of his club situation
- Forwards is not the most impressive, they need to hope one of Musa or Simic really explode this season, Petkovic I guess is still in the frame if he wakes up at Dinamo next few months but after his Euro performances I'm good with him never getting called up again, effective when he wants to be but too lazy at times. I know people rave about Orsic but I'm not huge fan of his, also it doesn't seem Dalic rates him either. Somebody mentioned Colak, he was tried out during the qualifying and didn't impress but at this point if your a striker who scores goals at decent level you will get a look and same with Uremovic, he played with Dalic before so not totally outside the picture. This is the one big issue I notice with the HNL last few years, not a lot of Croatian strikers being developed, let's see how Beljo does at Osijek, though more for the future than this upcoming WC

I think the "old" Croatia is a misconception by mostly English and US pundits (or crappy British pundits on ESPN etc.).

Totally agree, listen I'm not some super optimistic Croatia fan usually, I think Canada on their day could beat Croatia, but this analysis is very lazy, I understand Croatia is not a team most mainstream pundits follow or watch in their free time but one look at the lineups post Euro will show Dalic has gone through a generation change (albeit probably forced moreso than his choosing :sarcasm:). I have feeling most of these pundits think its essentially same lineup as 2018 final which is far from the truth, if anything Belgium, in the same group, has a bigger issue with this than Croatia, albeit they are still very talented

My one concern is Dalic honestly, I can't take away his results but I don't think he is a great manager other than motivation, we don't play great football under him and against anyway halfway serious opponent we struggle to create chances, I will say we have improved defensively especially defending set pieces but that's only when he incorporated the younger players. He isn't a great tactical manager hence why I think once he leaves the NT he will probably be stuck with going to the Middle East/China rather than a top five Euro league. Call me crazy, but I doubt even Dinamo, Hajduk or Osijek would hire him if he was available right now

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
My one concern is Dalic honestly, I can't take away his results but I don't think he is a great manager other than motivation, we don't play great football under him and against anyway halfway serious opponent we struggle to create chances, I will say we have improved defensively especially defending set pieces but that's only when he incorporated the younger players. He isn't a great tactical manager hence why I think once he leaves the NT he will probably be stuck with going to the Middle East/China rather than a top five Euro league. Call me crazy, but I doubt even Dinamo, Hajduk or Osijek would hire him if he was available right now
I agree with this. He's a motivator and a - for my tastes - subpar tactician.

At least he now seems to realize that high press with limited practice and without a front 3 of Rebic/Perisic/Mandzukic is NOT the best thing in the world - and he opted for more patient play where our midfield can take the game over. We'll only get 2 or 3 chances per game, but the opposition will get less.
It took him 5 games to realize that pressing France is maybe not the best idea.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal's Squad:
GK
Diogo Costa- Porto
Patricio-Roma
Maximiano- Granada / Anthony Lopes -Lyon

RB:
Cancelo-Man City
Semedo-Wolves/Thierry Correia- Valencia/ Dalot - Man United

LB:
Nuno Mendes- PSG
Gurreiro-Dortmund

CB:
Dias-Man City
Pepe-Porto
Carmo-Porto
Danilo-PSG

DM:
Neves- Wolves
William-Betis

CM/CAM
Sanches- Lille
Vitinha-PSG
Mattheus Nunes-Sporting
Moutinho-Wolves
Bernardo Silva-Man City
Bruno Fernandes-Man United
Fabio Veira- Arsenal
Otavio- Porto

Forwards:
C Ronaldo- Man United
Jota-Liverpool
Joao Felix-Atletico Madrid
Leao- AC Milan
Andre Silva- RB Leipzig

The Albatross: Fernando Santos. Expectations should be a semi final at least, on paper only France is better. With him, Portugal will crash out in the group stage akin to 2002/2014. Booking it.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Portugal's Squad:
GK
Diogo Costa- Porto
Patricio-Roma

RB:
Cancelo-Man City

LB:
Nuno Mendes- PSG
Gurreiro-Dortmund

CB:
Dias-Man City
Pepe-Porto
Carmo-Porto
Danilo-PSG

DM:
Neves- Wolves
William-Betis

CM/CAM
Sanches- Lille
Vitinha-PSG
Mattheus Nunes-Sporting
Moutinho-Wolves
Bernardo Silva-Man City
Fabio Veira- Arsenal
Otavio- Porto

Forwards:
C Ronaldo- Man United
Jota-Liverpool
Leao- AC Milan
Andre Silva- RB Leipzig

The Albatross: Fernando Santos. Expectations should be a semi final at least, on paper only France is better. With him, Portugal will crash out in the group stage akin to 2002/2014. Booking it.
This is just an unbelievable roster... Having watched Portugal over the years, the one thing they were often knocked for was attacking options outside Ronaldo.. heck they won Euro 2016 on an Eder goal.. Eder!! What a team this is..

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Portugal's Squad:
GK
Diogo Costa- Porto
Patricio-Roma

RB:
Cancelo-Man City

LB:
Nuno Mendes- PSG
Gurreiro-Dortmund

CB:
Dias-Man City
Pepe-Porto
Carmo-Porto
Danilo-PSG

DM:
Neves- Wolves
William-Betis

CM/CAM
Sanches- Lille
Vitinha-PSG
Mattheus Nunes-Sporting
Moutinho-Wolves
Bernardo Silva-Man City
Fabio Veira- Arsenal
Otavio- Porto

Forwards:
C Ronaldo- Man United
Jota-Liverpool
Leao- AC Milan
Andre Silva- RB Leipzig

Some players you did not mention:

Palhinha, Guedes, Fonte, Soares, Pereira, Jose Sa, Pedro Neto, Rafa Silva. Probaly more could be mention. Portugal have amazing depth.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
A LOT is going to depend on form and health for the USMNT (duh - like pretty much everyone else). But here is my preliminary guess of what Berhalter puts out. Not touching the GK position for now.

Starting against Wales, I can see this:

----------------Ferreira
--Pulisic-------------------------Weah
------Mckennie--------Musah
-----------------Adams
Robinson---Long---Zimmerman---Dest

England:

---------------Ferreira
--Pulisic---------------------Reyna
-------Acosta---------Mckennie
----------------Adams

Iran:

--------------------Pefok (or Dike/Wright/Pepi, whichever big man is brought)
---Pulisic---------------------------Reyna
--------Aaronson----------Mckennie
--------------------Adams
Robinson---Richards---Zimmerman---Dest

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
A LOT is going to depend on form and health for the USMNT (duh - like pretty much everyone else). But here is my preliminary guess of what Berhalter puts out. Not touching the GK position for now.

Starting against Wales, I can see this:

----------------Ferreira
--Pulisic-------------------------Weah
------Mckennie--------Musah
-----------------Adams

England:

---------------Ferreira
--Pulisic---------------------Reyna
-------Acosta---------Mckennie
----------------Adams

Iran:

--------------------Pefok (or Dike/Wright/Pepi, whichever big man is brought)
---Pulisic---------------------------Reyna
--------Aaronson----------Mckennie
--------------------Adams
Robinson---Richards---Zimmerman---Dest
Ferreria is a new name for me. What can you tell me about him? Is he going to Europe?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Ferreria is a new name for me. What can you tell me about him? Is he going to Europe?
21 year old striker from the FC Dallas academy. Has probably been the best US striker for the USMNT, although Pepi and Dike may have arguments (certainly not wright/pefok/sargent/hoppe). Probably won't go to Europe this window, but I could see him going to Europe in January.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

~100 MLS games under his belt at 21 with a 0.60 G+A per 90 (without any penalties). Having the best season of his career (0.86 in the same metric) and has began producing for the USMNT within the last year. Comes from solid pedigree as his dad had almost 40 caps for Colombia in the 2000's. The main issue is that he isn't exactly a true #9. He is small and slender, probably better in a dual partnership up top or as a #10. The jury is still out if he can be effective as a lone striker, but I expect a lot of fluidity between the front 3 if he is up there.

As for Europe, I can see that in his future either in the winter window or next summer. Dallas just gave him a big contract that eclipses $2MM per season, if I recall correctly. He probably would be better suited at the Dutch/Belgium/Portugal level vs. a move to one of the higher-end leagues.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You know, the one thing that people don’t talk about with USMNT is that Ferreira and Pepi have relatively good chemistry playing with each other. We don’t get to see it at national level because the two have them have never been in favor at the same time, our manager sucks, and is married to a formation that doesn’t accommodate both. Ferreira has looked the best because he is one of the most talented but as stated he isn’t really a 9.

Honestly I’d be curious how a 4231 with Pepi up front, Ferreira in the pseudo 10 role flanked by Pulisic and Musah, backed up with McKennie and Adams. Aaronson, Reyna and Weah to bring off the bench. Better formation for Reyna too, but Reyna has shown zero evidence that he can stay on the field recently. Won’t happen but something I’ve though about.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Portugal's Squad:
GK
Diogo Costa- Porto
Patricio-Roma

RB:
Cancelo-Man City

LB:
Nuno Mendes- PSG
Gurreiro-Dortmund

CB:
Dias-Man City
Pepe-Porto
Carmo-Porto
Danilo-PSG

DM:
Neves- Wolves
William-Betis

CM/CAM
Sanches- Lille
Vitinha-PSG
Mattheus Nunes-Sporting
Moutinho-Wolves
Bernardo Silva-Man City
Fabio Veira- Arsenal
Otavio- Porto

Forwards:
C Ronaldo- Man United
Jota-Liverpool
Leao- AC Milan
Andre Silva- RB Leipzig

No way is Santos only taking 2 DMs with a 26 player roster. You can be sure all of Danilo/Neves/Palhinha/Carvalho will going, especially since he uses Danilo as a CB now.

Jose Sa will also definitely be in contention for a GK spot, don't know why you left him out.

I don't see Moutinho, Vieira, Otavio and Andre Silva being locks either. A lot of the forward positions are up for grabs. The list of back-up RBs is also a little questionable.

Even if they underachieve I really don't see them being eliminated in the group stage, you're being overly pessimistic.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Portugal's Squad:
GK
Diogo Costa- Porto
Patricio-Roma

RB:
Cancelo-Man City

LB:
Nuno Mendes- PSG
Gurreiro-Dortmund

CB:
Dias-Man City
Pepe-Porto
Carmo-Porto
Danilo-PSG

DM:
Neves- Wolves
William-Betis

CM/CAM
Sanches- Lille
Vitinha-PSG
Mattheus Nunes-Sporting
Moutinho-Wolves
Bernardo Silva-Man City
Fabio Veira- Arsenal
Otavio- Porto

Forwards:
C Ronaldo- Man United
Jota-Liverpool
Leao- AC Milan
Andre Silva- RB Leipzig

I was really hoping for Ronaldo’s last World Cup they would have someone else in charge. I can see this being Santos’ last run with Portugal if they crash which is what I’m expecting :(

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I was really hoping for Ronaldo’s last World Cup they would have someone else in charge. I can see this being Santos’ last run with Portugal if they crash which is what I’m expecting :(
If they so much as reach the round of 16 you can be sure he will get to keep his job. Only way he will leave is on his own terms.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
What are your thoughts on him, his tactics and how he utilizes the roster?
Nothing different from how most view him. A limiting, unambitious manager who has the team playing tepidly most of the time. But I find this is a common critique for a lot of international managers.

He can usually get the team to do enough, but isn't able to take them to the next level. As if they're stuck in first gear. They should have gone farther in 2018. Should have probably gone farther in 2021. Even in 2016 despite a fluky win they bungled their way to the top. I was done with him after the Germany game, his tactics and team selection were directly the cause of being on the receiving end of an avoidable slaughter. Then there's the Serbia game where he takes off the only two players doing anything of note to settle for the draw and it nearly costs Portugal qualification. Not to mention many other mediocre results and performances, often in games where Portugal were clear favourites. That defines his tenure, he doesn't approach matches like he has a team that can go toe-to-toe with anyone, it's as if he thinks he's still in charge of Greece.

His use of the roster is a mixed bag. Eventually makes some positive changes but also hangs on to some players or tactics for too long, doesn't give others enough of a chance. For example during the last window he went with Pepe-Danilo at CB for all 4 games and never gave another CB any minutes, but rotated the rest of the squad. He finally started playing Bernardo Silva in the middle. That's been a boon.

Nothing sums up him up better than when Portugal tied a porous Ireland team 0-0, and after the match he said a 0-0 result would have been the same as winning 5-0. While he was technically correct in terms of what it meant for the standings heading into the last game, that is still a pretty bush-league mindset to have.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Nothing different from how most view him. A limiting, unambitious manager who has the team playing tepidly most of the time. But I find this is a common critique for a lot of international managers.

He can usually get the team to do enough, but isn't able to take them to the next level. As if they're stuck in first gear. They should have gone farther in 2018. Should have probably gone farther in 2021. Even in 2016 despite a fluky win they bungled their way to the top. I was done with him after the Germany game, his tactics and team selection were directly the cause of being on the receiving end of an avoidable slaughter. Then there's the Serbia game where he takes off the only two players doing anything of note to settle for the draw and it nearly costs Portugal qualification. Not to mention many other mediocre results and performances, often in games where Portugal were clear favourites. That defines his tenure, he doesn't approach matches like he has a team that can go toe-to-toe with anyone, it's as if he thinks he's still in charge of Greece.

His use of the roster is a mixed bag. Eventually makes some positive changes but also hangs on to some players or tactics for too long, doesn't give others enough of a chance. For example during the last window he went with Pepe-Danilo at CB for all 4 games and never gave another CB any minutes, but rotated the rest of the squad. He finally started playing Bernardo Silva in the middle. That's been a boon.

Nothing sums up him up better than when Portugal tied a porous Ireland team 0-0, and after the match he said a 0-0 result would have been the same as winning 5-0. While he was technically correct in terms of what it meant for the standings heading into the last game, that is still a pretty bush-league mindset to have.
Like you said in the beginning how everyone views him. How does all fans view him the same but the others don’t see it. He’s holding the team back from being so much more greater. That Euro win bought him a bullet proof vest basically?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Like you said in the beginning how everyone views him. How does all fans view him the same but the others don’t see it. He’s holding the team back from being so much more greater. That Euro win bought him a bullet proof vest basically?
Yeah that win might have got him a job for as long as he wants, if he keeps getting passable results. I thought he was gone after the loss to Serbia, but the timing might have saved him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wasn’t everyone saying Ferreira doesn’t score enough for the National Team until that last game against Grenada? You can’t use 4 goals against Grenada as some cure-all for his lack of goals in other games.

There’s a good chance Ferreira is the best option when the World Cup starts, but if he was doing so well for the National Team these striker discussions wouldn’t be happening.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Wasn’t everyone saying Ferreira doesn’t score enough for the National Team until that last game against Grenada? You can’t use 4 goals against Grenada as some cure-all for his lack of goals in other games.

There’s a good chance Ferreira is the best option when the World Cup starts, but if he was doing so well for the National Team these striker discussions wouldn’t be happening.
I don't think anyone said he was doing amazing, just that he's been the best option recently.

Another solid addition to the Black Stars;

Where else was he eligible?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nowhere. Salisu has had a turbulent relationship with the Ghana FA in recent times. There was a point where it looked like he would never actually accept a call-up.
Gotcha, that makes sense, then. Ghana has done a good job with their recruiting. I'm excited to see how the team comes together in November.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad