World Cup: Predict possible 2022 WC national teams rosters/lineups

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Either what you expect or what u wanna see.

I would probaly start with this for Argentina:

E.Martinez

Taglafico - Martinez - Romero - Molina

De Paul - Parades - Lo Celso

Messi - Martinez - Di Maria

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Expected German 26

I feel like most spots are basically locks at this point, barring injury...with Stach in the process of wrapping up the backup 6 spot. Would've been 25 locks if Wirtz hadn't gotten hurt, but with his injury, there are two final spots that I'd guess are still up for grabs.

I'm thinking we grab a more out-n-out striker (read: Nmecha) for the penultimate spot, and Tah or one of Draxler / Brandt / Reus / Burkardt...though I doubt we see any of the U21s get promoted before next summer's euros.

After next summer Moukoko, Burkardt, Schade, Stiller, Netz, Knauff, Bella Kotchap, Dardai, Thiaw, & Krauß / Becker / Martel, should start getting looks with the senior team. Mouki & Netz could get another cycle with the U21s just because of the depth on the senior team in their spots.

...that final spot should probably just go to the best cheerleader / locker-room guy / human victory cigar; aka whoever can best fill the Poldi-role.

Lineups:

4-2-3-1/4-2-4-0

Havertz*
Sane* - Musiala* - Gnabry*
Kimmich - Goretzka
Raum** - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann
Neuer

* Adeyemi / Müller / Werner / Hofmann
** Hofmann / Gosens / Baku

3-4-2-1/3-4-3-0

Sane* - Havertz* - Gnabry*
Raum/Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Hofmann/Baku
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann
Neuer

* Musiala / Adeyemi / Müller / Werner​

Roster:

ATT (7)

Havertz
Sane
Gnabry
Musiala
Adeyemi
Müller
Werner

WB (4)
Raum
Hofmann
Gosens
Baku

MF (4)
Kimmich
Goretzka
Gundogan
Stach

CB (6)
Süle
Schlotterbeck
Kehrer
Klostermann
Rüdiger
Ginter

GK (3)
Neuer
ter Stegen
Trapp

Last Two Spots:
ATT: Nmecha / Burkardt / Draxler / Brandt / Reus
MF: Neuhaus / Andrich / Dahoud / Arnold / Stiller / Janelt / Weigl
CB: Tah / Friedrich / Can
WB: Günter / Knauff

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Serbia.

Tadic - Mitrovic - Vlahovic
Kostic - Gudelj - Lukic - SMS
Milenkovic - Pavlovic - Veljković
Rajkovic

A healthfree Nastasić would take a spot, but he is always injured.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's hard to predict cause we got 3 month of season before the WC, enough time for fringe players to win or lose their spot.
But...

Croatia:

GK: Livakovic, Ivusic, Grbic
Defence: Gvardiol, J. Sutalo, Stanisic, Erlic, Caleta-Car, Sosa, Juranovic, Lovren, Vrsaljko
Midfield: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Sucic, Majer, Pasalic, Moro, Vlasic
Forwards: Perisic, Kramaric, Brekalo, Orsic, Livaja, Budimir/Musa

I think Borna Barisic probably misses out, since we'll have Sosa at LB and Juranovic can cover there.
Moro makes it over Jakic who had a dire outing vs Denmark in the Nations League.
If Musa gets games at Benfica, he'll get an invite for NL in September and my gut (and hope) is he impresses and wins himself a spot.

Basically, the defense is young and good. The midfield three is the best in the world, and the subs are Majer and an absolute gem in Sucic.
Our goals will either come or not come from a 33-year old Perisic, sadly. Noone else is in the same stratosphere.
We can only hope guys like Roko Simic and Gabriel Vidovic work out in a couple of years.

Likely linup:
Livakovic (Ivusic)
Juranovic (Stanisic) - J. Sutalo (Caleta-Car) - Gvardiol - Sosa
Modric - Brozovic - Kovacic
Pasalic - Kramaric - Perisic

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
[...]The midfield three is the best in the world[...]

...that's debatable ;-)

He's still a cycle or two away, but I like Vidovic. He's not in the Wanner / Ibrahimovic tier from Bayern's academy and will need to leave Bavaria to make the jump to senior football...but he's stuck out in a good way whenever I've caught him and he's right there with Tillman, Copado, & Kabadayi, in the race for the third most interesting attacking prospect on Bayern's campus; maybe even leading it.

Bayern people are also really excited for Zvonarek, but since he's just arrived, I haven't gotten a chance to watch him yet.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It's hard to predict cause we got 3 month of season before the WC, enough time for fringe players to win or lose their spot.
But...

Croatia:

GK: Livakovic, Ivusic, Grbic
Defence: Gvardiol, J. Sutalo, Stanisic, Erlic, Caleta-Car, Sosa, Juranovic, Lovren, Vrsaljko
Midfield: Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic, Sucic, Majer, Pasalic, Moro, Vlasic
Forwards: Perisic, Kramaric, Brekalo, Orsic, Livaja, Budimir/Musa

I think Borna Barisic probably misses out, since we'll have Sosa at LB and Juranovic can cover there.
Moro makes it over Jakic who had a dire outing vs Denmark in the Nations League.
If Musa gets games at Benfica, he'll get an invite for NL in September and my gut (and hope) is he impresses and wins himself a spot.

Basically, the defense is young and good. The midfield three is the best in the world, and the subs are Majer and an absolute gem in Sucic.
Our goals will either come or not come from a 33-year old Perisic, sadly. Noone else is in the same stratosphere.
We can only hope guys like Roko Simic and Gabriel Vidovic work out in a couple of years.

Likely linup:
Livakovic (Ivusic)
Juranovic (Stanisic) - J. Sutalo (Caleta-Car) - Gvardiol - Sosa
Pasalic - Kramaric - Perisic
and after budemir and musa its Antonio Colak in line?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The narrative in a lot of Canadian circles is that we have a chance to win based old and slow state of Croatia.

I look at this midfield trio and I'm not filled with much hope of picking up 3 points against you guys.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh, of course. But from my POV, I wouldn't trade it for any other 3-man midfield.
Totally fair. I just had to make a joke because I feel the same way about Kimmich, Goretzka, and Wirtz / Havertz / Musiala / Müller

…though I wouldn’t complain about having better depth behind Kimmich & LeGo than Stach & Gundogan / Neuhaus / Stiller.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
and after budemir and musa its Antonio Colak in line?

Shouldn't be.
Our forwards are our weak point, but at this point we're hoping Perisic can carry and Kramaric can just be his Hoffenheim self. And we're hoping Simic and Vidovic work out long term.

Budimir, Colak, Livaja.... Aren't the answer to anything.

The narrative in a lot of Canadian circles is that we have a chance to win based old and slow state of Croatia.

I look at this midfield trio and I'm not filled with much hope of picking up 3 points against you guys.
I think the "old" Croatia is a misconception by mostly English and US pundits (or crappy British pundits on ESPN etc.).

Lovren, Vida and Vrsaljko are basically done. Gvardiol, Sutalo, Stanisic, Juranovic and Sosa are the defense. And Corluka-Car, the veteran at 25.
Midfield is Kovacic and Brozovic in their prime, plus Modric at 37 (but still Modric). Then Sucic, Majer and Pasalic.
Forwards is Perisic and "some dudes" basically. But Perisic alone can carry offensively as long as the midfield and defense do their job.

Reactions: cgf

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ghana adding Lamptey, Nketiah, and now Inaki Williams for the World Cup. And with three extra squad spots they aren't really taking anyone's spots.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Berhalter will call in some veteran MLS All-Stars to ruin it.

Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Dest, Cannon, Scally, Antonee Robinson, Richards, Zimmerman, CCV, EPB
Adams, Sands, McKennie, Musah, Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Mihailovic
Ferreira, Pepi, Wright

For the starting lineup, Steffen or Turner as the goalie. Probably will be Steffen because he's going to be playing regularly. Dest at RB, Robinson at LB, Richards as one of the CB's, rotate the other three CB's based on form. Adams, McKennie, and Musah as the midfielders. Pulisic and Reyna as the wingers. Whoever is scoring goals as the striker.

Could include quite a few other players for the squad. Hard not to include de la Torre, Busio, Tillman, Konrad, Ledezma, Vines, McKenzie, Jones, Siebatcheu, Sargent, Dike, Hoppe, Booth, Bassett, Williamson, Pomykal. Or some of the U20 kids. Isn't there three extra places being added? Use those spots for some of these players.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Ghana adding Lamptey, Nketiah, and now Inaki Williams for the World Cup. And with three extra squad spots they aren't really taking anyone's spots.
Just what the doctor ordered. They needed forwards.

WIlliams - Nketiah
Sulemana - Partey - Kudus - A.Ayew
Odoi - Aidoo - Amartey - Lampety
Zigi

Are they honestly going to stat Di Maria, again?
I dont know. But i like him. He is close to sign with Juve btw.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Berhalter will call in some veteran MLS All-Stars to ruin it.

Steffen, Turner, Horvath
Dest, Cannon, Scally, Antonee Robinson, Richards, Zimmerman, CCV, EPB
Adams, Sands, McKennie, Musah, Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Mihailovic
Ferreira, Pepi, Wright

For the starting lineup, Steffen or Turner as the goalie. Probably will be Steffen because he's going to be playing regularly. Dest at RB, Robinson at LB, Richards as one of the CB's, rotate the other three CB's based on form. Adams, McKennie, and Musah as the midfielders. Pulisic and Reyna as the wingers. Whoever is scoring goals as the striker.

Could include quite a few other players for the squad. Hard not to include de la Torre, Busio, Tillman, Konrad, Ledezma, Vines, McKenzie, Jones, Siebatcheu, Sargent, Dike, Hoppe, Booth, Bassett, Williamson, Pomykal. Or some of the U20 kids. Isn't there three extra places being added? Use those spots for some of these players.
I would include Pefok. He had 22 goals in 33 games with Young Boys and got signed by Union Berlin in Bundesliga.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I would include Pefok. He had 22 goals in 33 games with Young Boys and got signed by Union Berlin in Bundesliga.
And has looked like absolute garbage with the national team. If he does well at Union Berlin, that might be enough to get him in the squad, but it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't make it.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Just what the doctor ordered. They needed forwards.

WIlliams - Nketiah
Sulemana - Partey - Kudus - A.Ayew
Odoi - Aidoo - Amartey - Lampety
Zigi

I dont know. But i like him. He is close to sign with Juve btw.

I think he'd be great coming off the bench, but if he's starting than Argentina isn't moving forward.
They have plenty of up and coming younger players who should be integrated into a team

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think he'd be great coming off the bench, but if he's starting than Argentina isn't moving forward.
They have plenty of up and coming younger players who should be integrated into a team
He’ll be used as a super sub like how scaloni used in him in copa… except when they reach the final and he chips Lloris.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Unreal... didn't know Inaki Williams was on the radar being at Bilbao and all. Nice injection of pace to the Ghanaian side... now they just need to integrate them into the team in a fairly short time frame. Jamaica did this with M Antonio, Ravel Morrison etc and they were awful.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Unreal... didn't know Inaki Williams was on the radar being at Bilbao and all. Nice injection of pace to the Ghanaian side... now they just need to integrate them into the team in a fairly short time frame. Jamaica did this with M Antonio, Ravel Morrison etc and they were awful.
Ghana has a hell of a lot more to work with than Jamaica though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad