Casemiro - Fabinho

Alex Sandro - Militao - Marquinhos - Danilo

Alisson

Spot on, or would you make any changes?

Alisson;
Danilo, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos, Alex Sandro
Casemiro, Fred/Bruno G, Paqueta
Raphinha/Antony, Neymar, Vinicius Jr

Paqueta or Neymar as false 9. Casemiro and Fabino together hasn't been tested enough, but could be. I'd rather Casemiro or Fabinho alongside Bruno Guimarães. Paqueta 100% a starter either as a false 9 or as midfielder.

Reactions: cgf

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Danjuma - Depay
Van de Beek
De Jong - Gravenberch - Koopmeiners
Winjdal - De Ligt - Van Dijk - Dumfries
Flekken

Would probaly go with this for the dutch. Somehow Ryan Babel will find a spot.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Belgium:

Lukaku
Carrasco - De Bruyne - De Ketelaere
Tielemans - Dendoncker
Castagne - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Meunier
Courtois

I might overestimate the old guard at CB and should go with Denayer. I like Witsel but he regressed a bit. Hazard brothers feels halfdead. Ketelaere really impressed me in CL.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It really is strange, though. Holland have always had stunning, world class offensive talent. I know everybody, particularly nations with smaller talent pools, goes through cycles. But it feels it’s been a while for them, since they’ve had a wealth of superb offensive/creative players.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Expected German 26

I feel like most spots are basically locks at this point, barring injury...with Stach in the process of wrapping up the backup 6 spot. Would've been 25 locks if Wirtz hadn't gotten hurt, but with his injury, there are two final spots that I'd guess are still up for grabs.

I'm thinking we grab a more out-n-out striker (read: Nmecha) for the penultimate spot, and Tah or one of Draxler / Brandt / Reus / Burkardt...though I doubt we see any of the U21s get promoted before next summer's euros.

After next summer Moukoko, Burkardt, Schade, Stiller, Netz, Knauff, Bella Kotchap, Dardai, Thiaw, & Krauß / Becker / Martel, should start getting looks with the senior team. Mouki & Netz could get another cycle with the U21s just because of the depth on the senior team in their spots.

...that final spot should probably just go to the best cheerleader / locker-room guy / human victory cigar; aka whoever can best fill the Poldi-role.

Lineups:

4-2-3-1/4-2-4-0

Havertz*
Sane* - Musiala* - Gnabry*
Kimmich - Goretzka
Raum** - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann
Neuer

* Adeyemi / Müller / Werner / Hofmann
** Hofmann / Gosens / Baku

3-4-2-1/3-4-3-0

Sane* - Havertz* - Gnabry*
Raum/Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Hofmann/Baku
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann
Neuer

* Musiala / Adeyemi / Müller / Werner​

Roster:

ATT (7)

Havertz
Sane
Gnabry
Musiala
Adeyemi
Müller
Werner

WB (4)
Raum
Hofmann
Gosens
Baku

MF (4)
Kimmich
Goretzka
Gundogan
Stach

CB (6)
Süle
Schlotterbeck
Kehrer
Klostermann
Rüdiger
Ginter

GK (3)
Neuer
ter Stegen
Trapp

Last Two Spots:
ATT: Nmecha / Burkardt / Draxler / Brandt / Schade / Reus
MF: Neuhaus / Andrich / Dahoud / Arnold / Stiller / Janelt / Weigl
CB: Tah / Friedrich / Koch / Can / Hummels
WB: Günter / Knauff / Max / Henrichs
Flick will never play with a back three so it is not even a debate. Also Rüdiger will be for sure the leader of our defense. Otherwise you are pretty spot on although I think Flick will either play Werner or Hofmann on one of the winger position. Imo Wirtz would have been the first german (except Neuer) after a long time who could really compete for a Ballon D'or in future. Hopefully he will be back in time.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The narrative in a lot of Canadian circles is that we have a chance to win based old and slow state of Croatia.

I look at this midfield trio and I'm not filled with much hope of picking up 3 points against you guys.
Kovacic and Brozovic are in there prime and definitely not slow. Both have excellent motors. Modric is older but still great.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Flick will never play with a back three so it is not even a debate. Also Rüdiger will be for sure the leader of our defense. Otherwise you are pretty spot on although I think Flick will either play Werner or Hofmann on one of the winger position. Imo Wirtz would have been the first german (except Neuer) after a long time who could really compete for a Ballon D'or in future. Hopefully he will be back in time.

We pretty much played a back 3 with Raum & Hofmann as the wingbacks against England & Ungarn...IIRC we even officially lined up in a 3-4-3 in one of those. It's really not far at all from the shape he's already using. Flick's lopsided 4-2-3-1 is basically just a 3-4-2-1 with the winger in front of Kehrer / Klostermann playing the part of the 2nd wingback, in many phases of play.

Süle has started as many games for Flick as Rüdiger; while being clearly better this year for both club & country. Rüdi might start over Schlotterbeck alongside big Nik, but that would be a mistake. IMO Rüdiger - Ginter/Tah - Klostermann should be our 2nd string CBs; though I wouldn't mind if Klostermann took over Kehrer's starting spot.

As for Wirtz: He's awesome and looks just like a young Götze, but just like with the original Götze -- who I always saw as our Iniesta rather than our Messi -- I think other folks are higher on him than I am; as I have Havertz, Musiala, Adeyemi, Moukoko, & Wanner in the same tier of prospect as Wirtz.

...with Raebiger & Bischof also in that tier if they end up playing the 10 at the senior level; though I expect both to move deeper (like Gundogan) in their primes. Maybe Burkardt & Ibrahimovic as well. Though I won't argue with people who put them a half-step down from that tippity-top tier, Burkardt reminds me too much of a young Müller.

Agreed about Hofmann or Werner likely starting...I expect Hofmann to play that winger role opposite Raum with Gnabry sliding up front and/or Werner to lead our press, with Serge in that pseudo-wingback role on the right.

I included the asterisks because I knew that my picks were unlikely to be Flick's picks and since our depth in attack should mean that fitness, form, and the opponent, determine who starts a given match...and that Flick should rotate those attackers in the group stage.

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't have a roster, but Denmark was pretty impressive this round of Nations League matches.
How do they fare in group d with france, australia and tunisia.

France and Denmark making the cut.
(even though france couldn't get it together this round of NL matches)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Kovacic and Brozovic are in there prime and definitely not slow. Both have excellent motors. Modric is older but still great.
I think the narrative comes from the ageing back line but it appears most of them will be backups in the winter if not off the roster altogether.

Belgium:

Lukaku
Carrasco - De Bruyne - De Ketelaere
Tielemans - Dendoncker
Castagne - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Meunier
Courtois

I might overestimate the old guard at CB and should go with Denayer. I like Witsel but he regressed a bit. Hazard brothers feels halfdead. Ketelaere really impressed me in CL.
Belgium seem to have gone with a back 3 and then wingbacks.. maybe they will change that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad