Speculation: Predict(Discuss) the Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Do not trade Ekholm unless he will not resign. If he doesn't negotiate in the offseason or is dead set on a trade, move him in the off-season. Now is not the time.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is going to be a trade deadline where it would be a WIN if there is no single Nashville Predators trade whatsoever. We do not need to Buy, for sure... we have every kind of extra player we might dare to dream of coming off IR at some point. We also cannot Sell any players of any significance since we are in the heat of a battle for a playoff spot.

I mean, a 5th rounder for Borowiecki or a 7th rounder for Richardson would be worthwhile to sprinkle on top of the deadline for us, but really if that happens or doesn't happen, it is not material either way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Do you guys think there’s a possibility you still move Ellis?
Not before the trade deadline, no. I don't think there was EVER any chance of that.

Off-season... who knows. Ellis played great again last night, but it still didn't really matter. I'd still be open to moving him in the off-season to address our "mix" on defense better. But it would be very much contingent on 2 things:

1) Ekholm has already been extended.
2) The return is very appealing. We have no NEED or pressure to trade Ellis. So if a team wants him, they are still going to have to pay a steep enough price for him. Bargain-shoppers need not apply.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's funny, even with our injuries, I don't really see a point in claiming a guy on waivers. Vatanen and Mete there on D today... but do we need them? I submit that we do not. Even with guys out, it feels to me like we're doing fine. Farrance, Lewington, and Allard seemed ok in the game they each played. Even if Fabbro and Carrier are still out for a while, I don't really feel like we need to add other bodies. Especially not tinier guys again like Vatanen and Mete? :dunno:

Or is it expedient maybe just to claim Vatanen, even if it's ultra-short-term just to let us sit Davies back down? :dunno:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This is a golden opportunity to assess the readiness of our prospects for NHL play. As long as we have at least 7 healthy peeps(and with Allard still down we have at least one spare) then we should just roll with what we have

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Mete is dirt cheap (somewhere around 700k), 22 years old and already has 195 games in the NHL. I'd grab him, there's really no downside, he's younger than all of these prospects that are playing for the Preds right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Mete is dirt cheap (somewhere around 700k), 22 years old and already has 195 games in the NHL. I'd grab him, there's really no downside, he's younger than all of these prospects that are playing for the Preds right now.
I guess the downside would be that he would take up a spot that somebody like Davies is in now, and would be another stone in the road for Farrance to step over? And if Mete is getting waived today, it means no other team in the league was willing to give up even a 7th round pick for him. So... he's probably not better than Davies or Farrance. He just gets in their way. :dunno:

I guess if your GM is "ruthless" enough to scoop up a guy like this, and then throw him away again as soon as our injury crunch ends, it might not be so bad. But it just seems like a GM might feel like they need to try to "preserve" a player like this in some way, and since he's a young RFA, maybe even qualify him, maybe even therefore have him kicking around in the system next year too?

I'd pass. Worth thinking about. But end up passing.

(Do we want a player travelling into our group from Canada now? I'd like to guess that all our players are vaccinated now, but not sure.)

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm going to predict one of Ekholm/Ellis goes tomorrow after Poile waits, f***ing with our minds, as an expansion move.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
And if Mete is getting waived today, it means no other team in the league was willing to give up even a 7th round pick for him.

No, it doesn't. No one knows if they tried to trade him, or maybe they did and deemed the chance that he would clear waivers and stay in their system is worth more than a late pick. And in any case, plenty of decent players have been waived before and nothing says he needs to play right now, so your downsides aren't actually downsides at all. He's 22, it's not like picking up a 33 year old bottom pairing guy, that kind of move would "block" youngsters, this adds one. You can bring him in and if he's better than those guys, he'll be the one that plays. If not, you paid a small amount of cash and nothing else for a chance to get a look at a D-man that has more NHL experience and is younger than Allard, Carrier, Davies, Harpur, Lewington etc.

I'm going to predict one of Ekholm/Ellis goes tomorrow after Poile waits, f***ing with our minds, as an expansion move.

I don't think so, there are about 3 or 4 forwards that even warrant protection, so he shouldn't really care about the expansion draft. Worst case for the Pred is probably they lose Trenin or something like that. Best case they clear the contract of an overpaid center.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No, it doesn't. No one knows if they tried to trade him, or maybe they did and deemed the chance that he would clear waivers and stay in their system is worth more than a late pick.
I think we can safely say they tried to trade him. His name has been all over the trade board all season. But indeed, it's possible they may think he can clear, and they do have a truckload of draft picks, so maybe they would still rather take the chance on him clearing than pick up yet another late round pick that they may not even sign one day.
And in any case, plenty of decent players have been waived before and nothing says he needs to play right now, so your downsides aren't actually downsides at all. He's 22, it's not like picking up a 33 year old bottom pairing guy, that kind of move would "block" youngsters, this adds one. You can bring him in and if he's better than those guys, he'll be the one that plays. If not, you paid a small amount of cash and nothing else for a chance to get a look at a D-man that has more NHL experience and is younger than Allard, Carrier, Davies, Harpur, Lewington etc.
On this one, I'll just still disagree. I don't need to look at Mete. He has those NHL games under his belt, but does not seem to have done anything whatsoever in them. He seems like a smaller, lighter version of Yannick Weber. I don't need to sit any of Allard, Carrier, Davies, Harpur, or Lewington to check that out. I'm content to see a team is waiving him and trading for Jon Merrill to replace him to tell me all I need to know about what he could bring relative to our incumbents. Maybe if we weren't already so small, I'd take a look. But I just can't see the fit there. Even if he does catch on somewhere and establishes his worth, I don't see the point in it.

But guess what... Carrier and Harpur were both waived this year too. Nobody took them. Soooooo... not to say a useful player couldn't be found on waivers, for sure. It's just this particular player on waivers that I'd ultimately decide to steer clear of, despite having given it due consideration.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I'm content to see a team is waiving him and trading for Jon Merrill to replace him to tell me all I need to know about what he could bring relative to our incumbents.

Meh, appeal to authority, I can give you a list of 30+ bad moves that Bergevin (or any other GM) has made with about 5 minutes of research. I'm fine with agree to disagree, but the above is a terrible justification.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Meh, appeal to authority, I can give you a list of 30+ bad moves that Bergevin (or any other GM) has made with about 5 minutes of research. I'm fine with agree to disagree, but the above is a terrible justification.
If you've watched Mete play and think he's any good, go ahead and bring that. But if we're just looking up stats and playing fantasy message board GM, then yep, I'm fine appealing to even that dubious level of authority. :thumbu:

TK

Feb 26, 2019
If you've watched Mete play and think he's any good, go ahead and bring that. But if we're just looking up stats and playing fantasy message board GM, then yep, I'm fine appealing to even that dubious level of authority. :thumbu:

If you're only looking at the counting stats, just assists and goals, then sure. Of course, if you only look at counting stats more than half of the entire Preds team is absolutely awful over the past year+. Take a better look at all of his stats, if you just want to stat watch, and then get back to me.:thumbu:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If you're only looking at the counting stats, just assists and goals, then sure. Of course, if you only look at counting stats more than half of the entire Preds team is absolutely awful over the past year+. Take a better look at all of his stats, if you just want to stat watch, and then get back to me.:thumbu:
In the highly unlikely event that Poile claims him and he becomes a Pred, I'll take a closer look. Until then, just not interested, sorry. You'd claim him... based on his age or something; I wouldn't claim him... based on him being tiny and unproductive and because Marc Bergevin thinks Jon Merrill is better. Fair enough. :propeller

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Mete has skill and should be an NHL player. That's doesn't mean we should claim him though. It is interesting to see, goes right along with what I said when Turris was waived, this is not a normal season and these are not normal economic conditions, so we're seeing maybe the most interesting waiver wire that I can remember.

Last off-season I remember looking ahead to the draft and thinking maybe we should take a defenseman if we're in the top-10 because our prospect pool looked very thin. Now it looks like we're not going to be in the top-10 and more importantly it looks like our defensive prospect pool is surprisingly strong!

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
How about Duchene for Nyquist? Columbus gets a center and Nyquist is a decent winger who balances the salaries there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
How about Duchene for Nyquist? Columbus gets a center and Nyquist is a decent winger who balances the salaries there.
Easy yes here. Really hard to figure out if Duchene has actual positive value at this point or not. Other teams wanted him as a UFA, right? Would a couple of Covid-interrupted seasons of badness really dispel his value in their eyes? It sure has in OUR eyes as fans, and in the eyes of most fans of other teams who are always locked into what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mode. But NHL GMs can be even weirder, and at one point anyway Duchene was a golden child of sorts.

I guess I would just go with the default groupthink that Duchene has significant negative value and we couldn't actually get away with a trade like this. But who really knows.
:dunno:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I would try to move one of Duchene or Joey, but probably not until the off-season.

Apparently we are world beaters now, so I don't see us making any moves as sellers, but I also think we aren't making it out of the first round against Tampa.

That means standing pat and revaluate in the off-season

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Actually there is one asset I hope Poile is able to move today: cap space.

If we have to retain an extra 25% of someone's contract for a mid round pick, let's do some of that.

If a team needs to dump a player with one year left to afford something else, we need the bodys so let's do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad