Speculation: Predict(Discuss) the Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Might as well go ahead and make a separate thread for this as I am sure it will dominate the next few weeks.

Saw on Eks site that Philly could possibly offer a 1st, 3rd and Nolan Patrick for Ekholm. Third would become a 2nd if Partick misses significant time. Seems like a great return if Patrick isnt permanently damaged goods. Boston reportedly wants him badly. Wonder what their offer would be?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
There is no way Philly is giving up Patrick + a 1st.. Eklund is out to lunch on that one like usually. I think we could get a 1st + a prospect for Ekholm but I don’t think there’s anyway that prospect would be Patrick.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think a generic "1st+prospect" return is enough for Ekholm. He's better than most give him credit for. And it's only a coin flip if a 1st round pick pans out, late in the draft where most of these teams' picks live. I would need the 1st to be a top-10 pick (but no team in that position is a buyer) or the prospect to be a serious bluechip top prospect. And no teams have that to offer.

As for Philly... yes, Nolan Patrick is damaged goods. And has 2 goals this year. The whole reason he's included in these rumors is that he has basically turned into a bust (no fault of his own - injuries).

These are terrible offers for Ekholm.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Granlund to Toronto at 50% retained for a 2nd and a 3rd.
I don't know what the Preds' financial perspective is, but in this Toronto offer, you are basically buying a 3rd round pick for $1M? In a year with scarce revenue and a $20M loss projected? I just can't see how a team spends that kind of money on that kind of draft pick.

If anybody out there can take Granlund with no retention, then I can see us taking a much smaller return, just to save the real-life $$$.

I hope they would retain if it got them a 1st round pick, though.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Haula for a 3rd

Richardson for a 7th
Yep, that's about the most I could hope for. Although I still think Richardson has a very good reputation around the league, and although things haven't worked out for him with us, maybe there is a specific team out there that really keys on his past reputation for faceoffs and PK and targets that, pays a higher premium like a 5th, therefore. But end of the day, I'd take the 7th. And end of the day I'd take a 4th or 5th for Haula too. They are both just taking up space for us right now.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don’t trade Ekholm!
You want us to have half our defensive core on contract in to.their mid-late 30s? If we looked remotely competitive I could see it but pointless if heading toward a rebuild. I'd rather move Ellis but he was already "untouchable" and the injury just made it moreso. We really have to consider it, Ekholm would bring a lot back.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1 yr guys

Haula: 5th rounder
Richardason: 7th
Granlund: 1st (in 2021) and a B level prospect to flatten the cap. My expectation: 1st & Pierre Engvall, Travis Boyd (someone has to play on the Preds)
Sbisa: Finish contract with Preds

Hook: 1st (2022) and B level prospect
Ekholm: 1st (2022) Top d prospect, forward prospect

I will leave this open after research. IF the Preds have a strong scouting on 2021, get 2021's but I want 2022''s

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You want us to have half our defensive core on contract in to.their mid-late 30s? If we looked remotely competitive I could see it but pointless if heading toward a rebuild. I'd rather move Ellis but he was already "untouchable" and the injury just made it moreso. We really have to consider it, Ekholm would bring a lot back.
Well if half our defensive corps are as good as Josi-Ekholm-Ellis, then I don't necessarily see that it's a problem per se to have them under contract. It may still be that we aren't utilizing them to best effect. But I don't see how stepping back and downgrading on them necessarily helps us either.

Would Ekholm bring a lot back? So far I'm not seeing that reflected in HFBoards offers, anyway. That is of course by no means representative. But if I get a coin-toss 1st round pick on a player who may one day marginally make the NHL, and another prospect in the same category, then that's not any kind of sensible return on Ekholm for us.

I'll trade anybody if it actually helps improve us. I haven't seen any offers on our bigger-name guys yet which assure me of that happening, though.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
To answer your 1st question; No, I don’t. I have one for you; do you want to build our D around Josi, Ellis, Fabbro and maybe Farrance. Not an Ekholm in the bunch; if somebody has an “Ekholm” prospect they aren’t going to trade him.
Keep the D; trade forwards.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
1 yr guys

Haula: 5th rounder
Richardason: 7th
Granlund: 1st (in 2021) and a B level prospect to flatten the cap. My expectation: 1st & Pierre Engvall, Travis Boyd (someone has to play on the Preds)
Sbisa: Finish contract with Preds

Hook: 1st (2022) and B level prospect
Ekholm: 1st (2022) Top d prospect, forward prospect

I will leave this open after research. IF the Preds have a strong scouting on 2021, get 2021's but I want 2022''s

upload_2021-3-7_18-49-28.png

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Might as well go ahead and make a separate thread for this as I am sure it will dominate the next few weeks.

Saw on Eks site that Philly could possibly offer a 1st, 3rd and Nolan Patrick for Ekholm. Third would become a 2nd if Partick misses significant time. Seems like a great return if Patrick isnt permanently damaged goods. Boston reportedly wants him badly. Wonder what their offer would be?

What do you guys WANT also?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Well if half our defensive corps are as good as Josi-Ekholm-Ellis, then I don't necessarily see that it's a problem per se to have them under contract. It may still be that we aren't utilizing them to best effect. But I don't see how stepping back and downgrading on them necessarily helps us either.

Would Ekholm bring a lot back? So far I'm not seeing that reflected in HFBoards offers, anyway. That is of course by no means representative. But if I get a coin-toss 1st round pick on a player who may one day marginally make the NHL, and another prospect in the same category, then that's not any kind of sensible return on Ekholm for us.

I'll trade anybody if it actually helps improve us. I haven't seen any offers on our bigger-name guys yet which assure me of that happening, though.
If we're rebuilding we need the assets to do it with. We have relatively few players that are going to fetch us 1st round picks and prospects with decent shots of becoming NHL players: Ekholm, Forsberg, and perhaps Arvy and Granlund currently. While we don't necessarily have an Ekholm-type in our prospect group right now, we may have at least have a potential top 4 D among the group to weather the loss long-term.

Oh, I should say that I think Ekholm would definitely get back more than the crappy Habs proposals suggest. If nobody's offering what he's worth, I agree you rethink it.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If we're rebuilsing we need the assets to do it with. We have relatively few players that are going to fetch us 1st round picks and prospects with decent shots of becoming NHL players: Ekholm, Forsberg, and perhaps Arvy and Granlund currently. While we don't necessarily have an Ekholm-type in our prospect group right now, we may have at least have a potential top 4 D among the group to weather the loss long-term.
I guess what it comes down to is that I don't believe in rebuilding, and don't believe that we should be rebuilding. Not if the definition of rebuilding involves trading our best players for iffy draft picks anyway.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Which yr are the picks?

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Please note: 2021 started with a Meh level of talent and COVID did not help. Scouts are shrugging. Hockey fans who live for scout don't know.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Seems like a good year to stockpile later round picks. Could hit a few gems there due to underscouting

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't think a generic "1st+prospect" return is enough for Ekholm. He's better than most give him credit for. And it's only a coin flip if a 1st round pick pans out, late in the draft where most of these teams' picks live. I would need the 1st to be a top-10 pick (but no team in that position is a buyer) or the prospect to be a serious bluechip top prospect. And no teams have that to offer.

As for Philly... yes, Nolan Patrick is damaged goods. And has 2 goals this year. The whole reason he's included in these rumors is that he has basically turned into a bust (no fault of his own - injuries).

These are terrible offers for Ekholm.

I think you're a bit off in this if you think we're going to get a better offer than that for Ekholm.

Also, Patrick's just now getting back up to speed after having the migraine issues, he's still the 2nd overall pick from 2017 and looked capable in his first NHL seasons. He's not going to be 1C but a servicable middle-six center with a big body and some upside offensively.

Last edited:

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Philly could actually be a good trading partner for us since their prospect pool is pretty deep and they look to contend. I think youll get most value from them if they include one of their defensive prospects since they have a shitload of defenders looking like the same player.

Blockbuster incomming: Forsberg + Ekholm + Duchene go to Philly turning them into a true contender. Sanheim, Patrick, Farabee and a 1st come our way. Lock it....or dont :)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think you're a bit off in this if you think we're going to get a better offer than that for Ekholm.

Also, Patrick's just now getting back up to speed after having the migraine issues, he's still the 2nd overall pick from 2017 and looked capable in his first NHL seasons. He's not going to be 1C but a servicable middle-six center with a big body and some upside offensively.
I'm not saying we're going to get a better offer. I'm just saying those offers are not close to good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad