Speculation: Predict: Bobrovsky & Panarin’s future.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Columbus better lock Bob up, because a team like Carolina is going to be desperate to shore up goalie after watching Mrazek and Darling waste the defense being played in front of them over another season.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Columbus deals both it would likely be to contenders.

San Jose maybe at the deadline tries to get both of them, but I think they gave up lots of it in Kane and Karlsson.

Come free agency Panarin signs with NYR. Bobrovsky is better off in Columbus, but if there's any team I could see him signing with it's likely San Jose or Buffalo.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Columbus deals both it would likely be to contenders.

San Jose maybe at the deadline tries to get both of them, but I think they gave up lots of it in Kane and Karlsson.

Come free agency Panarin signs with NYR. Bobrovsky is better off in Columbus, but if there's any team I could see him signing with it's likely San Jose or Buffalo.

San Jose is not going after Bobrovsky. They have Martin Jones signed for 6 years at $5.75M and Jones has a 3-team NTC to boot. On top of that, the samples for both Bobrovsky and Jones’ playoff performances are reaching the point where they’re large enough for me to say that I wouldn’t take Bobrovsky over Jones in the playoffs.

Panarin, I could totally see us renting but DW hasn’t historically been the type to pay a high premium for rentals, and we won’t hsbe the space for Panarin and Karlsson in the off-season.

Reactions: Berserk and CPTN71

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Everyone saying Bob gets traded needs to remember he has a full NMC. Of curse he can waive it but he holds all the cards when it comes to his future and where he is playing.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think both are goners, but definitely Panarin.

I think he goes back to Chicago if the Hawks are willing to part with some young talent and picks.

I wonder if the Jackets would take Saad back... say Saad, Sikura and a pick for an extended Panarin?

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
I think Bobrovsky gets resigned and Panarin goes to Chicago. But for fun I'll say Panarin goes to Tampa as a sleeper pick.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Panarin gets traded at the end of January as a rental.
Bob gets traded 2 days before the deadline to a team out west that loses a goalie to injury

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

I think he goes back to Chicago if the Hawks are willing to part with some young talent and picks.

I wonder if the Jackets would take Saad back... say Saad, Sikura and a pick for an extended Panarin?
No thanks, keep Saad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

It's the specification of "an extended Panarin" that makes this comedy gold.

Reactions: CPTN71

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I thought Bob's training camp interview was really interesting. Basically he said he thought it was fair he told the organization early what his plans are so they can act accordingly, and that he's made up his mind already. Doesn't sound like a player who is open to negotiating or that it would come down to $$. Basically sounds to me like he has a destination(s) in mind and is confident he can get a deal in the summer.

Panarin to me was maybe a bit more open but both interviews really left me with the impression that these guys are gone.

Puts Jarmo in a terrible spot. The organization wants to win and feels like it's getting close so it's like a punch to the gut to trade your best players right now.

Not only that, but these aren't easy deals to make. Without good goaltending Jackets won't make the playoffs so how do you trade Bob? Not to mention his NMC - and the potential trade partner trying to figure out if Bob would sign or not. Makes me think Bob won't go anywhere to be honest and you just bite the bullet if he leaves and enjoy Vezina caliber goaltending for one more year. Im not sure what the market is for rental goalies anyways.

And then if you don't trade Bob, i like the Jackets to make the playoffs, so how do you then trade your best scorer if the team is having a good season? I'd rather just trade him now to save the team that pain after putting a good effort throughout the year, but again, trading Panarin now isn't simple either. Sign and trade is a popular thing right now but it's not simple to do especially since Panarin doesn't seem that sure where he'd want to play (and i don't blame him, he'll be highly sought after next summer). AND Jarmo still sounds like he's holding on to some hope of getting a deal done with him.

If it's just 1 yr Panarin is the return teams are offering worth throwing out any potential success you might have in the playoffs? Remember they have to feel like they're really close after almost going up 3-0 against the eventual cup champs this past spring. And if Dubois builds on the season he had, Wennberg bounces back and some other guys have better years who knows how good Columbus might be down the stretch.

It's such a difficult situation with so much to think about, and some things that will only get answered later on. I'll be really surprised if either one is traded any time soon.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Neither get traded. Columbus tries to go for it this year and maybe wins a playoff round.

Bob stays, 5 years at $10M per. Overpayment, but that’s what it’ll take.

Panarin leaves to the Rangers, 8 years at $9.5M per.

My best guess. Could be totally wrong.

Reactions: major major

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
50/50 Bob is traded @ TDL unless CBJ are out of playoff picture (unlikely), but they're certainly not a true SC contender...Bob resigns $8+M/7-8 yrs OR signs with FLA(Luongo retires or plays backup) /CAR (Mrazek/Darling)/possibly even DET...Wings have $28 capspace & subpar D even after we add Hronek, Cholowski. Sulak this year (trading Daley & Jensen). WIngs let Howard walk or trade him by TDL. Bernier backup. KH stated he doesn't want to spend a lot on goalies, especially longterm, but Bob could be an exception. SY, if he's GM July 1st, makes offer to Bob, but doesn't outbid anyone to land him, i.e., $7X7, which probably won't be enough.

100% Panarin traded by TDL (if they're out of playoff race) if they can't sign him by then...defintiely by draft..$9-10M/7yrs. NYR/FLA/...much less likely to CHI. Hawks won't have the cap, but if they dump Seabrook (AZ ?) +picks & prospects it could work. I'd love to see $31M of $80M+ cap on Kane/Capt.Intangibles/Breadman hahaha.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Everyone saying Bob gets traded needs to remember he has a full NMC. Of curse he can waive it but he holds all the cards when it comes to his future and where he is playing.
Who needs a goalie at the tdl? Seriously....

Cal final year with Smith but they have prospects who are close.
Edm final year with Talbot. Ride him to see if he’s the guy for the next few years or go to market.
AZ signed raannta so fine for a while.
Chicago Crawford has concussion issues . May need to get someone new.
STL have to move Allen’s contract.
Buf this is a legit maybe. Need stable goaltending with he talent they have. But I don’t see hem in PO contention this year. More of a ufa signing.
NJ see if Schneider bounces back.
Isles for sure would look at a ufa signing.
Philly, I doubt it since that would bury Hart for a long time.
Carolina, should be interested.

Bob is going to want at least 5 years and more likely getting 6 year term.

I think there’s teams who would pursue in free agency but not via trade. He doesn’t have good playoff numbers to warrant a big return.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I thought Bob's training camp interview was really interesting. Basically he said he thought it was fair he told the organization early what his plans are so they can act accordingly, and that he's made up his mind already. Doesn't sound like a player who is open to negotiating or that it would come down to $$. Basically sounds to me like he has a destination(s) in mind and is confident he can get a deal in the summer.

Panarin to me was maybe a bit more open but both interviews really left me with the impression that these guys are gone.

Puts Jarmo in a terrible spot. The organization wants to win and feels like it's getting close so it's like a punch to the gut to trade your best players right now.

Not only that, but these aren't easy deals to make. Without good goaltending Jackets won't make the playoffs so how do you trade Bob? Not to mention his NMC - and the potential trade partner trying to figure out if Bob would sign or not. Makes me think Bob won't go anywhere to be honest and you just bite the bullet if he leaves and enjoy Vezina caliber goaltending for one more year. Im not sure what the market is for rental goalies anyways.

And then if you don't trade Bob, i like the Jackets to make the playoffs, so how do you then trade your best scorer if the team is having a good season? I'd rather just trade him now to save the team that pain after putting a good effort throughout the year, but again, trading Panarin now isn't simple either. Sign and trade is a popular thing right now but it's not simple to do especially since Panarin doesn't seem that sure where he'd want to play (and i don't blame him, he'll be highly sought after next summer). AND Jarmo still sounds like he's holding on to some hope of getting a deal done with him.

If it's just 1 yr Panarin is the return teams are offering worth throwing out any potential success you might have in the playoffs? Remember they have to feel like they're really close after almost going up 3-0 against the eventual cup champs this past spring. And if Dubois builds on the season he had, Wennberg bounces back and some other guys have better years who knows how good Columbus might be down the stretch.

It's such a difficult situation with so much to think about, and some things that will only get answered later on. I'll be really surprised if either one is traded any time soon.
I think it is pretty obvious he does not have any destinations in mind. He is just resolved to reach free agency and then make a decision. Also, I think it's pretty obvious that he won't do a sign-and-trade to any team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it is pretty obvious he does not have any destinations in mind. He is just resolved to reach free agency and then make a decision. Also, I think it's pretty obvious that he won't do a sign-and-trade to any team.
Goalie market is pretty narrow. So no sense for the jackets to deal him. Just ride it out and hope their young backup is starter material a year later.

Panarin sounds like he wants to hit the market and head to a big city. So, have to trade him unless you’re really a cup contender.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It makes no sense for another club to rent Bob. Columbus actually needs a goalie this year, so the own-rental price is higher. It's probably a similar dynamic with Panarin, where Columbus has their own-rental value for him.

Bob was angry though. You can tell from the interview, he's pissed. That tells me he wants something from Jarmo that Jarmo isn't giving him. I don't think Bob wants to leave.

Bob has been so bad in the playoffs every year I feel like it should be a concern

Just not true. Last year he was actually good, getting the club into overtime 3 games in a row. And his underlying numbers were good, it was just the 28(?) penalties the Jackets took that dragged down his overall save percentage. Everyone just sees his .900 and assumes he was bad again, but not so.

I would actually consider this deal ... except Saad didn't want to be a Blue Jacket, and wouldn't want to come back, so no.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
@major major - I don’t think Saad ever publicly said that he didn’t want to be a CBJ. Is that speculation on your part? I know his relationship with Torts was kinda sour and that he was in Torts’ doghouse for a very long time.

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
@major major - I don’t think Saad ever publicly said that he didn’t want to be a CBJ. Is that speculation on your part? I know his relationship with Torts was kinda sour and that he was in Torts’ doghouse for a very long time.

Porty reported that Saad was unhappy on the team, and wanted to go back to Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad