Lubo Visnovsky - 11 points - 24 gp
TJ Brennan - 0 points --
Griffin Reinhart - 0 points --

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
15-20 for me.

Over his career he's a 20.5 ppg player and his first year might have been the best we've seen from Cizikas.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i love his work ethic, and think he's got decent skills. last year, his broken jaw seemed to really mess him up, so i give him a pass. i can honestly see him taking over 3rd C, in the next few years. i think Neilsen will hit UFA status, and be legitimately entitled to top 6 money. based on expectations of FN not fitting into top 6 anymore (MDC, JT, KO, Lee, Nelson, Strome, JHS) and cap history, i expect FN to be gone. i would love for us to keep FN, but if he demands $5 mil or more, he becomes an expensive 3rd liner. if CC can slide in and do the 3rd line C job with about 80% of what FN does, at about 1/5th the cost....

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
15-20 for me.

Over his career he's a 20.5 ppg player and his first year might have been the best we've seen from Cizikas.

his-power-level-its-over-9000.jpg

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
I think CC mailed it in a bit last year but like it was said, have to give him a little bit of a pass because of the jaw. He did take a big step back in my view from 2013. I do put some of that on the coach not making the players accountable for poor efforts at times but it's mainly on the player.

I just don't think Cizikas is very good and on a good team should be a call up option from the AHL.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
i love his work ethic, and think he's got decent skills. last year, his broken jaw seemed to really mess him up, so i give him a pass. i can honestly see him taking over 3rd C, in the next few years. i think Neilsen will hit UFA status, and be legitimately entitled to top 6 money. based on expectations of FN not fitting into top 6 anymore (MDC, JT, KO, Lee, Nelson, Strome, JHS) and cap history, i expect FN to be gone. i would love for us to keep FN, but if he demands $5 mil or more, he becomes an expensive 3rd liner. if CC can slide in and do the 3rd line C job with about 80% of what FN does, at about 1/5th the cost....

Cizikas is a totally different type of player (border line AHLer) and not in the same stratosphere as Frans NIelson as a player. This thinking totally blows my mind.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'd rather have Chris Kelly centering our fourth line than Casey Cizikas. He's a very underrated vocal leader with lots of experience and a cup, and still very able to play bottom six minutes. The problem is he has two more years at 3M per and a NTC clause.

Although, that may be doing Boston more of a favor than improving our lineup.

I am logged in, but it says I may not vote in this pole. Does anyone know why?

Probably because you just joined.

Al Arbour

Aug 18, 2014
New York
I'd rather have Chris Kelly centering our fourth line than Casey Cizikas. He's a very underrated vocal leader with lots of experience and a cup, and still very able to play bottom six minutes. The problem is he has two more years at 3M per and a NTC clause.

Although, that may be doing Boston more of a favor than improving our lineup.

Probably because you just joined.

Actually, I've been a member for years and had well over 1000 posts....under another name. But after a lengthy period of inactivity, I forgot both my username AND password. I tried dozens of times to find out through HF, but each time I clicked on the link to have my username sent to my email , absolutely nothing happened. Finally, I just gave up and signed in as a new member.

Do you know if my ability to vote on a poll is based on # of posts, or length of time as a member?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Actually, I've been a member for years and had well over 1000 posts....under another name. But after a lengthy period of inactivity, I forgot both my username AND password. I tried dozens of times to find out through HF, but each time I clicked on the link to have my username sent to my email , absolutely nothing happened. Finally, I just gave up and signed in as a new member.

Do you know if my ability to vote on a poll is based on # of posts, or length of time as a member?

Well you just joined under this account, which is what I meant.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Cizikas is a totally different type of player (border line AHLer) and not in the same stratosphere as Frans NIelson as a player. This thinking totally blows my mind.

well, maybe this will blow your mind more...

Frans at 22...

2005-06 Timra Swe 50 5 13 18 -18 22 2 2 2 - 87 0.36

CC at 22....

2013-14 NYI NHL 80 6 10 16 -12 30 1 0 1 13:22 79 0.20

note the different leagues?

CC played for the Canadian juniors in 2010/11. captain of his jr team that year, i believe, and had 19 points in 16 PO games, and was a + 11.

stats for BP as a 20 year old rookie...

Bridgeport AHL 52 15 30 45 26 30 3 0 3 - 113 0.87

had had 4 points in 6 games vs Pit in the PO's, as a 21 year old.

care to tell me what makes you think that CC can't be as good as Frans? shall we trade him and Bailey for a few old Hockey News editions, and a signed Kvasha stick? i'm just trying to stop your head from exploding. i hate seeing that ;)

Al Arbour

Aug 18, 2014
New York
Well you just joined under this account, which is what I meant.

Yeah, I know. It's just strange that if you have a new account, you're not allowed to vote.

Anyway, I really like Cizikas and think he's a lot better than most think. 20+ points isn't out of the question. He's a fast skater, moves the puck well, I thought his passing and shot were really good, and has great work ethic.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
well, maybe this will blow your mind more...

Frans at 22...

2005-06 Timra Swe 50 5 13 18 -18 22 2 2 2 - 87 0.36

CC at 22....

2013-14 NYI NHL 80 6 10 16 -12 30 1 0 1 13:22 79 0.20

note the different leagues?

CC played for the Canadian juniors in 2010/11. captain of his jr team that year, i believe, and had 19 points in 16 PO games, and was a + 11.

stats for BP as a 20 year old rookie...

Bridgeport AHL 52 15 30 45 26 30 3 0 3 - 113 0.87

had had 4 points in 6 games vs Pit in the PO's, as a 21 year old.

care to tell me what makes you think that CC can't be as good as Frans? shall we trade him and Bailey for a few old Hockey News editions, and a signed Kvasha stick? i'm just trying to stop your head from exploding. i hate seeing that ;)

Kaboom!!!

Yea and based on Junior numbers Patrik Stefan and Alexander Daigle should be in the Hall of Fame.

Based on NHL play and my own observations, I think Casey has some work to do to establish himself as an NHL player, let alone a guy who can replace and Frans Nielson as a 2nd or 3rd line center.

You really want to make that argument then knock yourself out. I'm just putting in my two cents.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Kaboom!!!

Yea and based on Junior numbers Patrik Stefan and Alexander Daigle should be in the Hall of Fame.

Based on NHL play and my own observations, I think Casey has some work to do to establish himself as an NHL player, let alone a guy who can replace and Frans Nielson as a 2nd or 3rd line center.

You really want to make that argument then knock yourself out. I'm just putting in my two cents.

damn. was tryin to catch before you blew.

yeah, and guys like Datsyuk, Zetterberg as well as many other awesome players were drafted in latter rounds. what's the point? no one knows...

Ciizikas has good pedigree, so it's not unrealistic that he plays close to the super-dooper Fransy. who by the way, was drafted 87th overall, while Cizikas was 92nd.

you pigeonhole players at 23, if you feel that certain about them. i am not going to. just please, no more blowing your mind over silly things.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
With the admission of being complacent last year and the acquisitions of Grabo, Kulemin and Conacher and the maturation of Strome and Lee does anyone else think that Casey is the most likely candidate to be traded to a cash strapped team for defensive help?

Edit: mean cap challenged team, not cash strapped.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I'd see how he does mentally having called himself out and knowing that the depth acquired can push him off the NHL roster.

It's one thing to just have "heart & soul" - Cizikas on his good nights kills a penalty with a tenacity that makes me think of scenes from Rocky IV. He may only get around 10-20 points, but I think his game can translate better on the roster now since with the top-9 reasonably expected to be improved, he may be able to just "dog the puck," while any points he can get will be more cake icing and less an expectation that be comes pivotal.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Kaboom!!!

You're kind of missing the point. He fully acknowledges that Cizikas has a ways to go. But so did Frans at the same age, and so far, Cizikas' progression is ahead of where Nielsen's was. That doesn't mean he will end up at the same place, of course, but think about if we had written off Frans just because he wasn't a proven NHLer by this age?

Yeah, I know. It's just strange that if you have a new account, you're not allowed to vote.

It's pretty common on free forums to prevent people from making additional accounts to vote multiple times on polls.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
With the admission of being complacent last year and the acquisitions of Grabo, Kulemin and Conacher and the maturation of Strome and Lee does anyone else think that Casey is the most likely candidate to be traded to a cash strapped team for defensive help?

Edit: mean cap challenged team, not cash strapped.

Do you really think he's going to bring back anything worthwhile in assets? He could be a filler but by himself he's no more than a 5th round pick. Listen, I like Casey and the way he plays. Let's be honest about our feelings as Islander fans though. Guys like Cizikas are adored for their hustle and hard work and the fact that they came in and added stability to the bottom six of a team that lacked talent. The new Islanders are a depth team making strides towards being playoff caliber and new talent pushes a guy like Cizikas off the roster. It's just the way it is. Same thing might have happened to a guy like Shawn Bates if he hadn't been injured so much anyway. I appreciate him for what he does, but I just don't see him making the cut unless injuries creep up.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
the best case scenario is that players keep getting pushed off the roster, by better players. what i don't think Snow should do though, is just give guys like CC and Bailey away. could probably add Hickey into this category of player, that doesn't have great value now, but is still developing, and has decent upside. i think it much smarter to get rid of guys like Carkner, Boulton, and McDonald, since there is little chance that they will improve, and will likely regress.

the best scenario, IMO, is that CC grows into a comparable player as Frans, and then we trade Frans away for something worthy, just prior to him becoming a coveted UFA. i am just using CC and Frans as an example of how Snow (or any GM) should be utilizing assets. bringing in better players at cheaper salaries, is what i think every GM fantasizes about. it also depends a lot on what the pending UFA (Neilsen) wants. if he is willing to take a bit of a hometown discount, you probably sign him.

just to be clear, i am NOT advocating the trade of Neilsen NOW. he will be very valuable to the team this year, much moreso than CC.

just thinking a few years down the road, and how it might play out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2