GDT: Predators @ Tropical Storms - Game 5 - 5/25/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyal Legion

Nov 24, 2019
Our shooters have to shoot in high danger areas. No excuses.

How did Joey score 30 goals with Columbus?

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Is it just me or is it worse that its a wraparound?

Absolutely. Wraparounds are the easiest save in all of hockey. I don't know why Saros had his skate outside of the post, but he gave himself nothing to push off of to move to the other side of the net, and that basically ended up costing us the game. Shame, because he's been playing phenomenally otherwise, but there's really no good excuse to let in a clean wraparound.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
In less sad analysis, Carolina was 16 points and +41 goal differential better than us in an abbreviated season. We've essentially played them 4 straight 1-goal games, they've already had to play their whining about their refs card for the postseason (oh, have they ever!), and with some lesser goaltending from Ned we might lead this series. Not too shabby.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Well, again the rebounds kill Saros, I think I mentioned them before the game. Hopefully he can figure that out. Cover the f***ing puck and take the faceoff. Oh well, back home for game 6. Win at home and figure I out in game 7.

Reactions: Enoch

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Except those three all got blown past on the game tying goal and 2/3 on the ice for the game winner. Hard to fault giving them less ice time when that’s the result.

Maybe, but maybe them having less ice time after 50 minutes contributed to that result. I imagine that I wouldn't play my best if I felt like the coach didn't trust me and I watched less talented players go over the boards when I was fresh. As they say, you need your best players to be your best players if you want to win.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Well, again the rebounds kill Saros, I think I mentioned them before the game. Hopefully he can figure that out. Cover the f***ing puck and take the faceoff. Oh well, back home for game 6. Win at home and figure I out in game 7.
Rebounds and Saros are not newly acquainted. You know this

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Absolutely. Wraparounds are the easiest save in all of hockey. I don't know why Saros had his skate outside of the post, but he gave himself nothing to push off of to move to the other side of the net, and that basically ended up costing us the game. Shame, because he's been playing phenomenally otherwise, but there's really no good excuse to let in a clean wraparound.

Because when you're convinced someone's going to try to shortside you, having some overlap on the post gives the goalie an advantage. Shortside is his responsibility. Defense is supposed to protect the far side.

I'm sure he wants it back, but there's blame to go around.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
We had some video review luck in game 5 with Trenin's defection ruled a good goal and the waive off. Either of those could have easily gone the other way.

The shot map shows part of the issue. The Canes played a hell of a defensive game and kept our shooters to the outside. Trenin capitalized on his good opportunity. Cousins saw his disappear with a poke check. Jarnkrok and Johansen put it right where Ned was. Ekholm kept shooting high. Of the 25 SOG, few were dangerous. Another night of the PP not generating shots ... 1 SOG and that on the first opportunity.

The Canes had the Nine Line's number. They were on the ice for the waived off goal and the wrap around. They managed to win some offensive zone draws but nothing came from it ... were obliterated at the dot in the neutral and defensive zone with Joey on the losing end of the games only 4on4 faceoff.

Thursday night is back in front of a crowd in gold. Time to use that last change to set the matchups we want and figure out how to get back into Ned's face and score some goals.

Reactions: Loyal Legion

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think the way the game ended pretty nicely summarized why this team is not a true contender.

You are about to steal one on the road, get an early PP in OT. Instead of capitalizing on it, you take a penalty yourself and give up a goal at 4-on-4.

I swear, the same demons continue to haunt this team..

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Rebounds and Saros are not newly acquainted. You know this
Yeah, the rebounds are just life with him as well as the "he's too short" goals but he has to stop playing pucks out to the slot. That's what I hope they fix.

Basically, if you can reach it, cover it. I feel like they've already simplified his game to the point of not trying to trap the puck on the first shot, just make sure to stop it and let the team worry about the rebounds so a little help in those situations wouldn't be bad.

Reactions: bdub24

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The Canes had the Nine Line's number. They were on the ice for the waived off goal and the wrap around. They managed to win some offensive zone draws but nothing came from it ... were obliterated at the dot in the neutral and defensive zone with Joey on the losing end of the games only 4on4 faceoff.
Jordan Staal is a great faceoff guy and a real weapon in that regard for Carolina. He has owned people on faceoffs all year at something like 58%. In fact, he's the best in the NHL other than Bergeron for centers with over 1000 draws for the season.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Jordan Staal is a great faceoff guy and a real weapon in that regard for Carolina. He has owned people on faceoffs all year at something like 58%. In fact, he's the best in the NHL other than Bergeron for centers with over 1000 draws for the season.

We were the #7 team in the league at the dot for the regular season.

Joey was 1 for 7 in the neutral and defensive zones combined last night. The team was 25% in the netural zone.

By far the worst performance at the dot as a team .... a full 7% below the previous two road games this series.

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Because when you're convinced someone's going to try to shortside you, having some overlap on the post gives the goalie an advantage. Shortside is his responsibility. Defense is supposed to protect the far side.

I'm sure he wants it back, but there's blame to go around.

That's fair. I never had those responsibilities laid out in that way to me when I played, but that makes a lot of sense. Team strategies/responsibilities weren't well defined at my level of play, and I'm sure that goaltending strategies have evolved a lot in the past 15 years. There's nuance to the way Saros was playing the puck that I'm not picking up on, but I was always instructed to hug/play from the inside of the post in that scenario so you could eliminate the shortside scoring angle while keeping your skate ready to push off to the other side. Not to name-drop, but Mitch Korn was adamant that there was no such thing as a wraparound that had any right to go in. Of course that's an exaggeration, but it echoes in my head every time I see one scored. Honestly never thought about the defense's role in it, so thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's fair. I never had those responsibilities laid out in that way to me when I played, but that makes a lot of sense. Team strategies/responsibilities weren't well defined at my level of play, and I'm sure that goaltending strategies have evolved a lot in the past 15 years. There's nuance to the way Saros was playing the puck that I'm not picking up on, but I was always instructed to hug/play from the inside of the post in that scenario so you could keep your skate ready to push off to the other side. Not to name-drop, but Mitch Korn was adamant that there was no such thing as a wraparound that wasn't stoppable. Of course that's an exaggeration, but it echoes in my head every time I see one scored.
Even on that one, even given our players standing and watching it, probably 9 times out of 10 it doesn't go in. 9 times out of 10 (maybe even more), Juuse gets a better push across. 9 times out of 10 Necas doesn't slide the puck on just the perfect line to go in, it's really hard to make that play so perfectly AND get the right alignment of luck that everything else which happened on the play would happen. That's hockey.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I get why people are mad about the goalie interference call but how else are you supposed to call that? Josi may have interfered more with Saros than Foegele but Foegele still skated into the crease on his own and was in contact with Saros in the crease when the shot was taken. How else are you going to apply that rule? Incidental contact is ok in the crease as long as the goalie can still move laterally?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
One thing to be sure, if we had won 2-1 the salt from carolina over the disallowed goal would have been enough to give the entire east coast accelerated hypertension.
Hard to imagine. The victim complex because of the big bad, dirty, diving Predators and their pet refs is already something to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad