Prospect Info: Predators sign Swedish Defenceman Johan Alm (2 year rookie contract)

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Without knowing more, it's impossible to say whether Poile thinks he is penciled onto the roster. Still, I think this is a sign that Poile wants some flexibility when it comes to defensemen this summer. No guarentee he moves Ellis/MDZ, but this seems to point in that direction.

I love that he picked Nashville. Euros love it here.

I wouldn't get too excited about him playing in Nashville right away. Eckholm had tons of promise and had trouble adjusting to the smaller rink. Eckholm went back to Europe after failing to land a spot in Nashville. Then came back the following year and spent lots of time in MIL. Took him 3 years to make the transition. Given how young and talented the d-corp is, I'd say it's a long shot to play with the Preds in 14-15.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I wouldn't get too excited about him playing in Nashville right away. Eckholm had tons of promise and had trouble adjusting to the smaller rink. Eckholm went back to Europe after failing to land a spot in Nashville. Then came back the following year and spent lots of time in MIL. Took him 3 years to make the transition. Given how young and talented the d-corp is, I'd say it's a long shot to play with the Preds in 14-15.

IIRC Ekholm came over long before he was 22, so that makes a difference, but you're right, there's no guarentee he plays in the NHL next year. My point is that with all the speculation around Ellis/MDZ, the signing of a depth defensemen is interesting, even if he isn't exactly a lock.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
There are a ton of defensemen here. Have to think this signals the end for the vets with Noonan, Rissling and now Alm in addition to Diaby, Bitetto, Vainonen and Roussel. So no more Ford, Piskula, Rodney (I'm okay with Ford and Rodney going.)

Where would you rank Roussel among Milwaukees dmen from last season? Maybe he's let go?

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis
Great stuff...thanks guys! I wonder, being 22, if he'll start in Milwaukee. Maybe Ellis or Bartley is trade bait?

It's nice to see that a dozen clubs were trying to sign him and he picked the Preds :)

Looking at his numbers in the Swedish league I would assume he will start in Milwaukee.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Milwaukee doesn't really have any stud D waiting in the wings so maybe he sees that even if he doesn't make the Preds outta camp, he'll have a good chance at 1st call up.

This. Not much chance an undrafted ufa cracks any teams NHL roster right off the bat. We are solid 1 through 7 but after that we really have nobody, so being #8 right off the bat is probably as good as he could do anywhere else

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Nothing wrong with this at all. Poile is up to something. This could also be a backup plan. If MDZ doesn't pan out under Lav then maybe this is our insurance, or there is a trade a brewing.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Nothing wrong with this at all. Poile is up to something. This could also be a backup plan. If MDZ doesn't pan out under Lav then maybe this is our insurance, or there is a trade a brewing.

I dont think this is a sign of anything other than the fact that we have zero depth at D beyond our top 7.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
It's nice to see good young players sign choose us out of all the teams out there. A lot of teams had interest in him, speaks a lot about how our team is looked at in regards to developing talent.

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009

I think this is a situation of a player is available with potential and we are not overloaded. Glad he chose us, and hopefully he can develop into something of use.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
There is an article on Section303 about this signing and the what it means for both Nashville and Milwaukee.

http://section303.com/preds-ads-have-decisions-to-make-after-signing-johan-alm-52692

“I don’t see any of our guys [in Milwaukee] who can unseat somebody here in Nashville,†Fenton confirmed. “Bitetto is pushing to get some time [at the NHL level] and we’re hoping that Noonan is closer than you think because he’s 23 years old.â€

Welp...that's not fun to hear if you're a D in Milwaukee (though it's obvious)

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Are d pairings next year will probably be something like

Josi - Weber
MDZ - Jones
Alm- Ellis

Ekholm or Bartley will be the odd man out. Im excited to see the Milwaukee D next season with Diaby there

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

Josi - Weber
MDZ - Jones
Alm- Ellis

Ekholm or Bartley will be the odd man out. Im excited to see the Milwaukee D next season with Diaby there

No way Eckholm is the odd man out. Look at a the prior posts... Fenton said he doesn't think anyone in MIL will unseat the current Dman roster in Nashville.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Josi - Weber
MDZ - Jones
Alm- Ellis

Ekholm was fantastic last year. Not a chance he's on the hot seat.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think unless Ekholm pulls a "blum" then he has earned his place with us next year. I really just see this as a depth signing, and a good one at that from what I've read about this kid.

Between him and Diaby we have some good stay at home physical defenseman for the future, and that's a good thing to have.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I would take Ekholm over MDZ now. Ek has shown steady improvement in the last year. For that matter so has Ellis. Maybe that is due to coaching. At any rate MDZ has regressed since before departure of Torts in NY. So I would try to broker MDZ for something even though he could return to form as this is a D rich team right now and needs other pieces far more.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I would take Ekholm over MDZ now. Ek has shown steady improvement in the last year. For that matter so has Ellis. Maybe that is due to coaching. At any rate MDZ has regressed since before departure of Torts in NY. So I would try to broker MDZ for something even though he could return to form as this is a D rich team right now and needs other pieces far more.

There are two problems I see with selling off MDZ now:

1. He was a regular healthy scratch the last couple weeks of the season. We'd be selling low. I wouldn't expect a Klein level of player back.

2. New offensive minded coach coming in. I want to see this kid get a longer leash. I know it will hurt in the D zone, but maybe he can put up an average defensive game while playing well above average while forechecking and moving through the neutral zone.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the reason MDZ will be back is that I'm not sure Poile believes that Trotz gave him any kind of a fair shake. You also have to consider that he wanted a Dman for that side for a reason, and that reason hasn't gone away.

I've felt that since the announcement that they were letting Trotz go that much of it was due to Poile feeling like Trotz wasn't using the guys he signed in the right manner. I think MDZ fits into that, and I think he is hoping that was some of the other FA signings issues as well ( along with guys like Wilson).

Sadly its the reason I don't think you will see any major roster moves unless an obvious no brainer lines itself up. Poile will want to see if all of the problem was the players, or if his coach may have been part of that as well.

Ekholm definitely isn't going anywhere, especially considering he is more of a defensive guy on a team full of offensive Dmen. Ellis could be moved, but I think Poile will want a pretty good offer for him ( especially after his play at Worlds). I think the new guy probably starts in Milwaukee, with a chance to make the roster if a move is made or someone just stinks it up. I agree with most others, its a depth move mainly at this point.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
The only person I see clearly out at this point is Bartley. I think everyone knows that Ellis MDZ/Ekholm are all above him at this point and that bartley is our #7 right now with Alm presumably our #8. Now, does this mean one of them could be open for trade? Sure. Do I expect it to happen? Not really. Unless someone else in the ads really impresses out of camp I think our D is set for the season now with solid depth in case of an injury.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
The only person I see clearly out at this point is Bartley. I think everyone knows that Ellis MDZ/Ekholm are all above him at this point and that bartley is our #7 right now with Alm presumably our #8. Now, does this mean one of them could be open for trade? Sure. Do I expect it to happen? Not really. Unless someone else in the ads really impresses out of camp I think our D is set for the season now with solid depth in case of an injury.

Yep agreed. I don't see anyone on the back end moving. The one I could see the most is MDZ, but he's got top 4 potential and I think he worked well with Seth when he first got here. Hopefully he can get back to where he was then we would have one of the best D cores in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad