Prospect Info: Predators sign Swedish Defenceman Johan Alm (2 year rookie contract)

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Congrats. Great player and a good guy to have in the locker room.

Skellefteå AIK:s defenceman has signed a two year deal with the NHL-team Nashville Predators.

The blog can reveal that 22-yo Johan Alm will leave SHL and Skellefteå AIK for the NHL and Nashville Predators.
The contract, a rookiecontract stretching over two seasons, was signed two days ago.
"-It's damned fun, a childhood dream come true" a happy Johan Alm says who had offers from a dozen NHL-clubs.
"-But Nashville felt right. I've gotten good contact with the club, everything from GM to coach. "

Has it been an advantage that you're undrafted and were able to choose between different offers and teams?
"-Difficult to say, I haven't thought so much about that as my focus has been to find a club that felt right for me and Nashville gave me good vibes" Alm says, whos goal for next season is crystal clear.
"-Ofc, to grab a spot directly in the team. But I know it's though and I'm prepared for everything.

Johan goes from a stand out season with Skellefteå AIK where he from start to goal has been one of the best defencemen. He also got to make his debut in the national team during the fall of 2013.

However, injuries disrupted his rampage during the season.
"-But it feels much better now. That was why I among other things said no to playing at the World Championships; so that I'll feel completely healed come next season."

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Great stuff...thanks guys! I wonder, being 22, if he'll start in Milwaukee. Maybe Ellis or Bartley is trade bait?

It's nice to see that a dozen clubs were trying to sign him and he picked the Preds :)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Great stuff...thanks guys! I wonder, being 22, if he'll start in Milwaukee. Maybe Ellis or Bartley is trade bait?

It's nice to see that a dozen clubs were trying to sign him and he picked the Preds :)

Or MDZ's rights get traded? Who knows. I can't blame any defensive player for wanting to come here with the track record we've had over the years.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
Or MDZ's rights get traded? Who knows. I can't blame any defensive player for wanting to come here with the track record we've had over the years.

I've always wondered why a free agent d would sign here. We do a good job of developing them but look at our lineup and why do they think they can crack it? Wouldn't it be better for them to go somewhere they would have a more immediate chance of making the team? What am I missing?

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I've always wondered why a free agent d would sign here. We do a good job of developing them but look at our lineup and why do they think they can crack it? Wouldn't it be better for them to go somewhere they would have a more immediate chance of making the team? What am I missing?
Milwaukee doesn't really have any stud D waiting in the wings so maybe he sees that even if he doesn't make the Preds outta camp, he'll have a good chance at 1st call up.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Personally, I hope not. That top 4 under Laviolette has me excited. Ellis + 1st for Spezza + 3rd?

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Ellis> MDZ

MDZ+ 2014 1st+ Beck

Whaler you know.. that is way better than what we got for Kovy and Hoss as rentals (who were more superior than where Spezza is currently at)

Would be cool to see this guy take the bottom pairing with Ekholm

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
A smart two-way defenseman with good size. Alm is perhaps more thought of as a defensive game, but his well-developed hockey sense should allow him to contribute offensively as well. Is mobile and a capable skater. Does most things pretty well, but should work with his consistency as well as play more physical and determined at times.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10714

Page is already updated with 2014-2015 Milwaukee Admirals

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
not sure you can have too many good young dmen, especially when the most tradeable assets you have are emerging dmen. If MDZ gets it together Ekholm is a nice start to a deal; if he doesn't, a little depth is helpful, too.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
not sure you can have too many good young dmen, especially when the most tradeable assets you have are emerging dmen. If MDZ gets it together Ekholm is a nice start to a deal; if he doesn't, a little depth is helpful, too.

I think we should hold on to Ekholm over MDZ. We don't really need offense on the back end Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis can all provide that. We need to have a consistent and reliable D man and Ekholm is that.

If Im not mistaken weren't a lot of teams high on this kid, and trying to get him to come over to the US?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think we should hold on to Ekholm over MDZ. We don't really need offense on the back end Weber, Josi, Jones, Ellis can all provide that. We need to have a consistent and reliable D man and Ekholm is that.

If Im not mistaken weren't a lot of teams high on this kid, and trying to get him to come over to the US?

The article says that he had his pick of a dozen clubs.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
The article says that he had his pick of a dozen clubs.

Gota thibk by the sounds of it they are open to having him in tbe starting line up if he plays well at camp.. I think we are lining up the ducks in a row for a big trade.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Gota thibk by the sounds of it they are open to having him in tbe starting line up if he plays well at camp.. I think we are lining up the ducks in a row for a big trade.

I can also see that, he seems like a bottom pairing Defensive kind of guy. Which would be great for Ellis, but the inexperience is ridiculous on our back end too bad we can't fast forward 2 years :naughty:

This could just be a depth move, with the hope of bringing him up after this coming year. We are thin in Milwaukee

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
We are thin in Milwaukee

There are a ton of defensemen here. Have to think this signals the end for the vets with Noonan, Rissling and now Alm in addition to Diaby, Bitetto, Vainonen and Roussel. So no more Ford, Piskula, Rodney (I'm okay with Ford and Rodney going.)

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
There are a ton of defensemen here. Have to think this signals the end for the vets with Noonan, Rissling and now Alm in addition to Diaby, Bitetto, Vainonen and Roussel. So no more Ford, Piskula, Rodney (I'm okay with Ford and Rodney going.)

They are all young. What I mean by thin is we don't have many if anyone pushing to move up to the NHL from the Ads on the back end. That's what this signing was for I think. We all know Poile wants constant competition from the minors. Love the signing

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Without knowing more, it's impossible to say whether Poile thinks he is penciled onto the roster. Still, I think this is a sign that Poile wants some flexibility when it comes to defensemen this summer. No guarentee he moves Ellis/MDZ, but this seems to point in that direction.

I love that he picked Nashville. Euros love it here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00