Prospect Info: Predators sign Swedish Defenceman Johan Alm (2 year rookie contract)

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Yep agreed. I don't see anyone on the back end moving. The one I could see the most is MDZ, but he's got top 4 potential and I think he worked well with Seth when he first got here. Hopefully he can get back to where he was then we would have one of the best D cores in the league

While that may be true about MDZ I see a second pairing of Jones and Ekholm being the answer long term. Unfortunately that leaves MDZ and Ellis on the third pairing and they don't have a ton of size. I'd like a guy to pair with Ellis that is a lefty and has some size and thump in his game. MDZ while a nice player is not the answer long term IMO. I really like the idea of Weber/Josi and Jones/Ekholm as the top four for a long time. That's just me though.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
While that may be true about MDZ I see a second pairing of Jones and Ekholm being the answer long term. Unfortunately that leaves MDZ and Ellis on the third pairing and they don't have a ton of size. I'd like a guy to pair with Ellis that is a lefty and has some size and thump in his game. MDZ while a nice player is not the answer long term IMO. I really like the idea of Weber/Josi and Jones/Ekholm as the top four for a long time. That's just me though.

If your wanting to talk about size and long term, just think about 2-3 years from now, Diaby may be on that 3rd pairing with Ellis (if Ellis is still here), at that point all 3 pairings will have some size.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

That's what I want, and see as well. I just feel that as of next season, and where the players are at in their development, I could see (if he lives up to where he should be) a MDZ - Jones and Ekholm - Ellis pairings. Now as for probably the back half of next season and on, I see Ekholm and Jones making killer 2nd pairing

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
So Diaby and Alm should be in Milwaukee next year....if thats the case then things are really starting to get crowded down/up there. What will we do with the extras?

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
If your wanting to talk about size and long term, just think about 2-3 years from now, Diaby may be on that 3rd pairing with Ellis (if Ellis is still here), at that point all 3 pairings will have some size.

And Alm. Like I've said, Cant get forwards? Kill em with defensemen haha. But for real though, our potential in our D men is insane

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So Diaby and Alm should be in Milwaukee next year....if thats the case then things are really starting to get crowded down/up there. What will we do with the extras?

Diaby and Alm will be in Milwaukee for at least a couple of years, barring injury… lots of things can happen in that time period

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Well according to Capgeek, the following Defensemen are free agents.

D Jarvinen, Joonas » RFA
D Bitetto, Anthony » RFA
D Roussel, C. » RFA
D Valentine, Scott » RFA
D Rodney, Bryan » UFA
D Piskula, Joe » UFA

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
There are a ton of defensemen here. Have to think this signals the end for the vets with Noonan, Rissling and now Alm in addition to Diaby, Bitetto, Vainonen and Roussel. So no more Ford, Piskula, Rodney (I'm okay with Ford and Rodney going.)

Same here. I like Ford, but his time is up. He lost a step or two this season. Rodney, I never cared for his game. He couldn't play defense, which is bad for a D-man!

I wish Piskula would stay. He was the best D-man at the end of the season and steady in the playoffs. Valentine played well at D and on the wing. He is a big hitter. I think that Nashville should consider moving Valentine to the wing full time and try bringing him up at midseason as a try out in Nashville. He is as good as some Preds.

Bitetto is the next logical call up. Diaby looked good in his stint. He may play only 1 full year in Milwaukee. Roussel needs more time in the AHL. Aronson is screwed.

We are so "thin" on the D line in Milwaukee that a guy quit hockey last season because he couldn't crack Milwaukee's lineup from Cincinnati.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Same here. I like Ford, but his time is up. He lost a step or two this season. Rodney, I never cared for his game. He couldn't play defense, which is bad for a D-man!

I wish Piskula would stay. He was the best D-man at the end of the season and steady in the playoffs. Valentine played well at D and on the wing. He is a big hitter. I think that Nashville should consider moving Valentine to the wing full time and try bringing him up at midseason as a try out in Nashville. He is as good as some Preds.

Bitetto is the next logical call up. Diaby looked good in his stint. He may play only 1 full year in Milwaukee. Roussel needs more time in the AHL. Aronson is screwed.

We are so "thin" on the D line in Milwaukee that a guy quit hockey last season because he couldn't crack Milwaukee's lineup from Cincinnati.

I hear the sarcasm as you rebut the commonly held feeling that the nashville organization is thing at D but the truth is we are thin as far as having anyone who could potentially come up and play effectively at the NHL level this coming year. Ford and Valentine are pretty much AHL lifers. Piskula is a tweener at best, ok as a fill in for a few games but probably not able to play every day in the bigs, and everyone else is likely at least one more year from being able to play regularly in the NHL, if ever...

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I hear the sarcasm as you rebut the commonly held feeling that the nashville organization is thing at D but the truth is we are thin as far as having anyone who could potentially come up and play effectively at the NHL level this coming year. Ford and Valentine are pretty much AHL lifers. Piskula is a tweener at best, ok as a fill in for a few games but probably not able to play every day in the bigs, and everyone else is likely at least one more year from being able to play regularly in the NHL, if ever...

I don't think there was any sarcasm there. Especially in the part about a player actually quit hockey.

http://admiralsroundtable.com/2013/12/26/teddy-ruth-announces-his-retirement/

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I wasnt saying that he was making anything up, and if I insulted adsfan that wasnt my intent... it just seemed like he was saying that we really were deep at D when in fact we arent, at least as far as NHL-level talent is concerned.

I think the issue is just there is a huge log jam at 'D' in Milwaukee between AHL regulars & our prospects. Kind of like how due to last years signings, we have a log jam up front so some of the kids who really should be getting at least some time in Nashville won't be due to the lack of roster space.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think the issue is just there is a huge log jam at 'D' in Milwaukee between AHL regulars & our prospects. Kind of like how due to last years signings, we have a log jam up front so some of the kids who really should be getting at least some time in Nashville won't be due to the lack of roster space.

I agree. Vets like Ford and Valetine kept the Admirals from being very inexperienced on defense last year but its now time for them to go and let the next wave of prospects come through...

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00