GDT: Predators of Nashville at Senators of Ottawa - 7PM - TVAS/SN - Beatdown at the Grand Kanata Opry

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I’ll be honest, after the third period I thought it was going to get worse not better.

Embellishment call was a joke, but so was the call on Saros, he literally kicked the puck with his toe when he was “tripping” Stü. More of a poke check with his foot instead of his stick, it was his only chance to prevent a goal.

Chabot had a rough game.

But we stormed back and took it in OT, so it feels good (man).

Also Korpi looked great in relief. I how he can find some consistency on this version.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I only got to watch the last 2 periods.

God damn Chabot is horrendous. Dude is slowly turning into Cody Ceci. Horrible play after horrible play. Even with the puck he's icing it because he's not moving his feet, he is missing his target on the breakout, terrible reads defensively. Lazy plays after lazy play. A big difference between him and Chychrun. You see Chych making nice stick checks, and simple plays, knowing when to pinch in, then you got Chabot on the LD not pivoting to his strong side and getting blown.

Sanderson and Zub is a god pairing. Easily the top pairing for years to come.

Joseph was flying again, great all around game, heavy on the forecheck, using his speed to create turnovers and break up plays.

Really liked Batherson's game as well.

I give Norris a pass due to missing a year, but Chabot is the dude to go from this core. Lacks any intensity and so lackadaisical and casual with the puck. There was a play at the last second of the 3rd where Nashville was pressing, and everyone got their man except for Chabot, and you can tell he was just hoping that the clock ran out, and instead of tying up his man, they got a nice shot from in front of the net. Just an overall lack of focus and attention to detail that you wished it was gone by now since he's 27 (sweet jesus).

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
All of his takes are shitty. Hard to tell the difference between worst and best
Troll captain

I always joke that the Sens don't deserve him but he chose Ottawa. After the game he drives right home to where he lives in the offseason. Close to friends and family and in the city he calls home while getting paid millions. Not a bad gig...
Hope he re-signs for a year or 2 after next season

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
All goals had one assist on them

1706623770751.png

Reactions: armani and DrEasy

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I mean, the issue is the soft goals, thing like Kreider floating one past our goalies, shots from 30+ feet out with no significant screen or puck movement prior to the shot. It's the deflating goals that pull the rug out from you.

We aren't uniquely bad defensively among NHL teams, we aren't even uniquely bad among past sens teams, but the goaltending has been horrendous. It makes me remember Gerber and LeClaire fondly.

Ive watched enough hockey to get when a team leaves a goalie out to dry, and to know when a goalie is letting in softies, this is definitely the latter. That doesn't mean we don't also do some of the former, but the goalies absolutely need to do better.
Wasn't the Kreider shot a knuckleball? I think the puck was on its side when Kreider took the shot and it dipped. I listened to the Rangers broadcast team who made that observation as well. I have found listening to the other teams broadcast crew more informative. I might be confusing the goals, but it was definitely an early one where posters were howling about a soft goal. I'm not saying that was an unstoppable shot, but that kind of shot has fooled goaltenders often enough.

Whether its really bad goaltending, average goaltending or inconsistent goaltending, the only way I believe for both the team as a whole along with our goaltending to play well enough to actually be a good team is to play better defense, and to play it consistently. I'm not talking about just barely sneaking into the playoffs either just to be clear.

That's not saying our goaltending has been good either. It hasn't been. I bolded this in an attempt to avoid the lazy retorts that will ignore everything else that has been said in this post.

But, I doubt if we get a Hellebuyck anytime soon. So, from a practical standpoint, I think it would be interesting to review our goaltending situation after a prolonged stretch of much better defensive play. There's a lot of things that needed to be fixed, but I do get its harder to admit that versus just focusing the blame on just one thing. I think we've developed a protective armor of excuse making as a way of coping.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensCaper and LiseL

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What a fun game to be at!

Sens got a talking to in the intermission and got back to the basics of playing in the system. What many of us have been calling for for years. No need to panic and start trying to make hero plays.

Comeback never happens under DJ. As was made clear by the stat that they literally never came back to win after a goalie pull under DJ.

Jacques is gonna shank this clown

It’s amazing seeing Jacques show emotion like that (1) after years of DJ just taking it from the refs and seething in silence, rarely ever getting mad and getting his team a call (we might not get the BS makeup call against Saros without it); (2) after Martin’s first stint where he was more laid back.

First OT win of the year. Came back from 3-0... Won it 4-3
Lots of skill on display on this one.

Little cap tip to Chychrun too for skating back to disrupt the play at our end before getting it up to G and then pushing the D back allowing Stu to be open and have so much time.

Chychrun did well skating back but his shot selection in OT led to that 2-0.

The sens need to pick their spots better when shooting in OT. It’s not time to shoot one around the boards or bounce one off shin pads. Both Chychrun and Bath had questionable shots there.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I still have that taste of victory this morning, I had forgotten how much I had longed for it for my beloved Sens. Korpi with a big time come back in relief after shitting the bed against NYR. The team in front is playing much better than when we started this season under DJ. It's been 6 years since this team achieved such a come from behind win. Gives me optimism moving forward with this core. We need the goalies to improve their consistency and find a way to make them succeed (much like the Lalime days, or even going as far back as Tugger/Rhodes tandem..none of them were considered starters but JM made it work).

Jake the Snake was outstanding, as were Chucky and Süperstar. G was a force - he is the de facto leader on ice.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
All goals had one assist on them

View attachment 812766

Our best players won us the game, the way it should be. Great character/gutsy win, they are buying what Jacques is selling.

Batherson quote stating Parker Kelly was a voice in the locker room after the first to rile up the team was great. Besides MJ, PK has been the most improved player on this team and this small locker room tidbit raises his value to me even more. I wanted him gonzo to start the season, and he has outplayed Kastelic who I am disappointed with because he showed good promise last year. Guy works hard every shift and is a good PKer.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
I still have that taste of victory this morning, I had forgotten how much I had longed for it for my beloved Sens. Korpi with a big time come back in relief after shitting the bed against NYR. The team in front is playing much better than when we started this season under DJ. It's been 6 years since this team achieved such a come from behind win. Gives me optimism moving forward with this core. We need the goalies to improve their consistency and find a way to make them succeed (much like the Lalime days, or even going as far back as Tugger/Rhodes tandem..none of them were considered starters but JM made it work).

Jake the Snake was outstanding, as were Chucky and Süperstar. G was a force - he is the de facto leader on ice.

Umlaut over the "u" - that's very clever, young man (we'll say).

• Haha
Reactions: armani

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Our best players won us the game, the way it should be. Great character/gutsy win, they are buying what Jacques is selling.

Batherson quote stating Parker Kelly was a voice in the locker room after the first to rile up the team was great. Besides MJ, PK has been the most improved player on this team and this small locker room tidbit raises his value to me even more. I wanted him gonzo to start the season, and he has outplayed Kastelic who I am disappointed with because he showed good promise last year. Guy works hard every shift and is a good PKer.
He's always getting better. I think Kelly will be a stalwart on the 3rd line for the next 10 years.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Gosh, I will miss Giroux when he's gone. What a legend (and he's barely been here). Do Flyers fans cry when they think of him leaving? I legit feel bad for them lol.

Reactions: SanderSen
Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Im surprised nobody asked Jaques about the third consecutive game with an embellishment call, he was pretty fired up at the ref...

Stü saying he didn't think Saros deserved a penalty for the trip, not to surprised on that.
Trying to remember the last time a team the Sens played against got an embellishment call.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Build around Brady, Stu and Sandy. Everyone else should be available for the right price.
Pinto is the only forward in the core who's always played the 200-ft game, Drake is one of the most skilled at a reasonable cost, Joseph has speed and is great on the PK, need to keep either Chabot or Chychrin but paired with a physical, stay-at-home RD. I also like Tank if he wants to return. Giroux only has 1 year left on his contract. They're the only 2 vets. SS wants to add more vets so wouldn't make sense to get rid of or not re-sign those we already have. Also really like Ridley's game.

I like the 3 you want to keep but they all need to improve their defensive play. Also not sure how how low their IQ is. They sure make a lot of dumb plays. Sandy is good but not always consistent. He has no excuses, he's playing with the only good RD we have, Zub. If Zub was paired with Chabot or Chychrin, I'm sure they'd improve too.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Pinto is the only forward in the core who's always played the 200-ft game, Drake is one of the most skilled at a reasonable cost, Joseph has speed and is great on the PK, need to keep either Chabot or Chychrin but paired with a physical, stay-at-home RD. I also like Tank if he wants to return. Giroux only has 1 year left on his contract. They're the only 2 vets. SS wants to add more vets so wouldn't make sense to get rid of or not re-sign those we already have. Also really like Ridley's game.

I like the 3 you want to keep but they all need to improve their defensive play. Also not sure how how low their IQ is. They sure make a lot of dumb plays. Sandy is good but not always consistent. He has no excuses, he's playing with the only good RD we have, Zub. If Zub was paired with Chabot or Chychrin, I'm sure they'd improve too.
Wait… you think Sandy is not good defensively, it’s Zub propping him up??

That’s good for a chuckle. Sandy plays with Zub because he’s young (Zub is a vet) and they are literally our best two players on the defensive side of the puck.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He's 4-1-2 in his last 7 starts. I'll be happy if he keeps that up.
He didn't start against NSH so it's actually 3-2-2, but assuming you just mean his last 7 games, he also has a sv% of .895, so I'm not sure that's a sustainable record either way.

He played really well last night, hope we see more of that.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Wait… you think Sandy is not good defensively, it’s Zub propping him up??

That’s good for a chuckle. Sandy plays with Zub because he’s young (Zub is a vet) and they are literally our best two players on the defensive side of the puck.
I didn't say he wasn't good defensively but I've noticed a difference since last year. Last year, he focused more on defense, not offense. This year, especially since he was placed on PP1, he seems to be focusing more on offense. He's not that gifted in that area so wouldn't it be better for him to focus on defense and play with one of the other LD who aren't that good defensively? Then place Zub with either Chabot or Chychrin. That would be a better top 4 IMO. Chabot hasn't looked the same since DeMelo left. Zub is the closest thing we have to DeMelo. As for Zub being a vet, is this solely because he's 22 months older than Chabot? Chabot has played almost double the # of games Zub has (405 to 219). I guess it depends on how you define a vet. What would Chyckrin or Chabot be like if either were consistently paired with Zub? It's just not a fair comparison when the other LD have to either play their off-side, play with someone with a similar style or with weaker defensemen.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That was a fun one to go to tonight! My two boys got a puck tossed over the glass from Brady and of course the huge OT win!

Much better than the Sat game I went to with my girl lol
Let that be a lesson to you!! Hehe ;)

What a fun game to be at!

Sens got a talking to in the intermission and got back to the basics of playing in the system. What many of us have been calling for for years. No need to panic and start trying to make hero plays.

Comeback never happens under DJ. As was made clear by the stat that they literally never came back to win after a goalie pull under DJ.

It’s amazing seeing Jacques show emotion like that (1) after years of DJ just taking it from the refs and seething in silence, rarely ever getting mad and getting his team a call (we might not get the BS makeup call against Saros without it); (2) after Martin’s first stint where he was more laid back.

Chychrun did well skating back but his shot selection in OT led to that 2-0.

The sens need to pick their spots better when shooting in OT. It’s not time to shoot one around the boards or bounce one off shin pads. Both Chychrun and Bath had questionable shots there.
Apparently it was Kelly doing the talking in the intermission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad