Predators need to replace Grimson as color analyst

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Why think that? You have the game to look at; with Radio, you need someone to draw you in and keep you engaged. If you're unhappy with the announcing of TV you can turn it down and still watch, if you're unhappy with radio you stop listening.

Because not many people actually listen to the radio anymore. Yes I agree on the tv has the picture while radio doesn't, but at the same time probably 80% or more of the audience is watching it rather than only listening to it. I've tried the whole radio with tv muted and it doesn't work for me. The radio is ahead of the TV.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I wish I could just get the sound of the game without the announcing crew. It would feel like being at the game without all the silly chatter.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Because not many people actually listen to the radio anymore. Yes I agree on the tv has the picture while radio doesn't, but at the same time probably 80% or more of the audience is watching it rather than only listening to it. I've tried the whole radio with tv muted and it doesn't work for me. The radio is ahead of the TV.
Pretty much this. It's basically because the TV crew is the one that gets the attention and the audience.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I wish I could just get the sound of the game without the announcing crew. It would feel like being at the game without all the silly chatter.

NBC allows this by changing the audio channel, but unfortunately Fox does not. :(

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
The only thing i will say is, Saturday i was having to listen to the radio broadcast while working and Chris Mason on color,was 1000 times better than Stu could ever be. I really hope they move him to full time color on TV soon. It was also funny, because Pete Weber was calling Smith, "Crazy Legs" the whole night. I missed where they might have explained why, but he sounded funny.

Crazy legs started a few weeks ago. Mason told the story of a former teammate that was a really fast skater and his legs looked like they were going crazy they were so fast. So one night during a game Craig Smith was really flying and Mason said he looked like crazy legs. Smith started playing well and scoring, so they kept calling him that. Smith was an interview one night after a game and he was asked about it and he said he liked it, so it has stuck. Plus, I think Pete likes calling him crazy legs, lol.

jntarheels

Feb 20, 2013
Clarksville, TN
Crazy legs started a few weeks ago. Mason told the story of a former teammate that was a really fast skater and his legs looked like they were going crazy they were so fast. So one night during a game Craig Smith was really flying and Mason said he looked like crazy legs. Smith started playing well and scoring, so they kept calling him that. Smith was an interview one night after a game and he was asked about it and he said he liked it, so it has stuck. Plus, I think Pete likes calling him crazy legs, lol.

Thanks for that info, I hadn't listened to a game on the radio in a while; so I hadn't picked up on that. It was quite funny to hear.

gratefulpred

Eternal Optimist
Jun 27, 2011
Almo Heights, KY
I agree that mase needs a promotion to the TV color position.

For the time being, Willy and Stu need to change sides on their on camera segments....I am tired of looking at Willy's lobotomy scar or whatever that is on the back of his head when he looks at Stu.

And of course tonight is the first night I noticed that mark/scar and I have a feeling i will never, ever see anything else again when those two are on camera....thanks!

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
And of course tonight is the first night I noticed that mark/scar and I have a feeling i will never, ever see anything else again when those two are on camera....thanks!

This?
Ccz0-yTXEAACOpC.jpg:large

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
True, 303, but maybe there has been some improvement.

Mr. Adz and I were having dinner while the game was on in another room (animators eat LATE) and had just complained to him that I couldn't tell the difference with Willy's inflection whether it was our score or their score or anything really.

So I don't know if it was improvement or whether I was just tuned in to the vibrations in Winnipeg, but I noticed it when Willy said we scored with the first goal and went to see about it. Came back to my dinner and sat down, then heard the next score 11 seconds later.

So either he's improved, I'm really focused, or, more likely, he just wanted to make me out to be a liar to my husband right then.

And I want to know what on earth caused that scar!! Maybe he was hit with a baseball bat when he played minor league in Canada.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
True, 303, but maybe there has been some improvement.

Mr. Adz and I were having dinner while the game was on in another room (animators eat LATE) and had just complained to him that I couldn't tell the difference with Willy's inflection whether it was our score or their score or anything really.

So I don't know if it was improvement or whether I was just tuned in to the vibrations in Winnipeg, but I noticed it when Willy said we scored with the first goal and went to see about it. Came back to my dinner and sat down, then heard the next score 11 seconds later.

So either he's improved, I'm really focused, or, more likely, he just wanted to make me out to be a liar to my husband right then.

And I want to know what on earth caused that scar!! Maybe he was hit with a baseball bat when he played minor league in Canada.
It was probably baseball related, and now that he's balding is just noticable. Nothing is worse than Marreese Speights of the Golden State Warriors. Whatever is on his bald head is gross.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
we had killed almost 2 minutes of the Watson major penalty last night before the word 'major penalty' was spoken by our crack broadcast crew. and even then neither seemed to realize the significance of the penalty or especially the significance of the huge kill. they were no more excited when there was only 30 seconds left in the penalty than when the penalty was called.

stu at least 3 times was rambling on about some inane basic play that had happened while we were breaking the other way on odd man rushes. Wily actually had to interrupt him to say "Smith scores'.

as he does every single game stu had to correct himself and say 'sorry' not once, but at least three times when he misidentified one of our own players.

I thought our broadcast was exceptionally bland and non excited last night.

Stu is probably all depressed that Gaustad and Nystrom aren't out there and we are still winning.

"big Finnish netminder". On emore time and I will scream.

"if there is a hotter hockey line than the Forsberg one in the NHL" at least 5 times last night. ridiculous.

the 'keys to the game segment' by Stu is absolutely awful how it's tied and limited to the three letters of the opponents name instead of actually addressing what the real keys to the game are like what an opponent is good/bad at. it's a travesty.

we get clips of chipping the puck into the zone for Stu's period highlights instead of the major penalty kill or eckholm sweeping the puck off the goalline.

'pace'. I know it's the new buzzword this year instead of "structure' from last year. but jeezus come on guys. use different descriptive phrases, it's pretty much the exact same audience watching every single game.

for God's sake, be critical every now and then like when Granberg got walked horribly or Rinne leaving an awful rebound or us giving up an odd man rush.

quit talking so much about nothing Stu. you sound like an idiot.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I was watching the Chicago Detroit game last weekend. One thing I noticed, when Hjalmarsson made a glaring error, CHI color guy told it like it was--stupid play and selfish are the adjectives that come to mind but he just pointed out what happened and why it was stupid and selfish. Play by play guy concurred. And then they moved on and it wasn't brought up again. I don't necessarily want the Chicago broadcast team but I want that sort of criticism and explanation if warranted.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Actually I thought one of the oddest moments was when Willy was commenting on the fact that Jarnkrok was centering a makeshift line like it was really newsworthy. What he apparently doesn't understand was that it was the first shift after our powerplay and that it is not unusual as his linemates were part of the PP and it was just normal to juggle lines in that situation.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Stu is probably all depressed that Gaustad and Nystrom aren't out there and we are still winning.

we get clips of chipping the puck into the zone for Stu's period highlights instead of the major penalty kill or eckholm sweeping the puck off the goalline.*****

The first made me laugh, the second made me think. Who is directing/producing the segments? They should decide what is analyzed between periods not the on air talent. But since the letter keys to the game continues I bet it is Stu who makes those production decisions or maybe an intern who does not have confidence to over rule Stu.

Definitely amateurish.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Professional on-air talent is maybe one of the final pieces this org needs to do to really stop feeling like an experimental market team

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So it's funny that it took a few replays for Grimson to realize the Gaudreau shot had gone in. It was clear as day on the first overhead view. Way to pay attention Franken-Stu.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
So it's funny that it took a few replays for Grimson to realize the Gaudreau shot had gone in. It was clear as day on the first overhead view. Way to pay attention Franken-Stu.

Not to defend Stu on anything, but my memory is on the first replay they showed he stated you could clearly see it was in. I don't recall any indecision at all.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It was the second replay he said that.

I could have sworn on the first overhead shown he was like "Yep, that's in", so unless the first replay was from the side angle I agree that he caught it first try. On another note, when that happens, and they buzz and stop the game like that, you know its a goal regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad