Predators need to replace Grimson as color analyst

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Am curious to know if there has been any dropoff in ratings since last year. Because truthfully, that's about the only thing that would force a change

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'm prob in the very small minority, but I couldn't care less about broadcasters or color crews. I've never cared in any sport. I don't even notice Stu.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I'm prob in the very small minority, but I couldn't care less about broadcasters or color crews. I've never cared in any sport. I don't even notice Stu.

I'm with you. He doesn't bother me at all. I pay zero attention to any of them, and if i'm watching on my tablet or PC, I usually have headphones on and Spotify playing over the NHL sound feed.

jntarheels

Feb 20, 2013
Clarksville, TN
The only thing i will say is, Saturday i was having to listen to the radio broadcast while working and Chris Mason on color,was 1000 times better than Stu could ever be. I really hope they move him to full time color on TV soon. It was also funny, because Pete Weber was calling Smith, "Crazy Legs" the whole night. I missed where they might have explained why, but he sounded funny.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Willy annoys me just as much. Monotone, boring, limited hockey vocabulary. I like vibrant PxP guys. I don't think this is something you learn or pick up over time. You either have it or you don't.

Stu is certainly more awkward though. I like the real world experience he brings, but his drawn out, slow talking tangents are painful to listen to.

I usually listen to the away feed anyway, so doesn't matter much to me.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't really pay a lot of attention but I think it's absurd that our radio crew is 100x better than the TV one. I understand that it takes a lot of talent to describe the action on the radio, but our top crew should be on TV.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Willy annoys me just as much. Monotone, boring, limited hockey vocabulary. I like vibrant PxP guys. I don't think this is something you learn or pick up over time. You either have it or you don't.

Stu is certainly more awkward though. I like the real world experience he brings, but his drawn out, slow talking tangents are painful to listen to.

I usually listen to the away feed anyway, so doesn't matter much to me.

Willy did an amazing A+++++ job by his standards on Saturday. He got really excited during his call at multiple times during the game. If you want an example, go watch the replay of the Weber goal and listen to Willy call it. I was one who always hated him, but I am starting to see progress there. Stu on the other hand, ummmm no.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
while Wily is a bit monotone, he is improving. His biggest drawback is that he is still 'uncomfortable' with his knowledge of the rules and tactical aspects of the game. I am confident he will improve in those. Because he lacks confidence in that knowledge he tends to always defer to Stu. Which is a huge mistake and gives Stu freedom to drone on and on in his agonizingly slow explanation of every single stupid play. Stu lacks the understanding that most times a simple "good play there by Josi" instead of painfully describing it in great detail (stop it right there guys) is much, much better and more appropriate.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Willy did an amazing A+++++ job by his standards on Saturday. He got really excited during his call at multiple times during the game. If you want an example, go watch the replay of the Weber goal and listen to Willy call it. I was one who always hated him, but I am starting to see progress there. Stu on the other hand, ummmm no.
I noticed an oddly un-Willy level of enthusiasm on his call of the Weber goal, which I appreciate, but there's just something that sounds unnatural to me when he shows emotion. As a fellow monotone speaker, I know that sometimes it just sounds weird when I try and vocally force emotion out of a lot of things. Willy reminds me of that type of person. Improving though, I'll give him that.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I noticed an oddly un-Willy level of enthusiasm on his call of the Weber goal, which I appreciate, but there's just something that sounds unnatural to me when he shows emotion. As a fellow monotone speaker, I know that sometimes it just sounds weird when I try and vocally force emotion out of a lot of things. Willy reminds me of that type of person. Improving though, I'll give him that.

He was doing that through out the game as well. Not sure what caused it unless it was the lack of oxygen being in Denver. :sarcasm:

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
I agree that mase needs a promotion to the TV color position.

For the time being, Willy and Stu need to change sides on their on camera segments....I am tired of looking at Willy's lobotomy scar or whatever that is on the back of his head when he looks at Stu.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I just wish that there was a secondary audio feed available like MLB.tv does syncing radio feeds to live video for baseball games. I generally swap the audio on Cardinals games to Mike Shannon on KMOX rather than the Fox Sports Midwest yokels. I'm wondering when the folks at Advanced Baseball Media will do that for the NHL.tv product... I'd much rather hear Pete call a game than Willy but get that Pete is more suited for radio as he can be far more descriptive in a cadence than Willy (who needs more practice to get it).

SouthNash

Oct 25, 2014
I agree that mase needs a promotion to the TV color position.

For the time being, Willy and Stu need to change sides on their on camera segments....I am tired of looking at Willy's lobotomy scar or whatever that is on the back of his head when he looks at Stu.

LOL...spewed coffee on that one.:laugh:
I must yell shut up Stu to the tv at least a dozen times a game...he's beyond aggravating :shakehead

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Pete Weber use to read (and occasionally post) on the boards... I wish he would read these comments and pass them on

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
During All Star weekend I spoke with Pete Weber about his role on the radio as opposed to on television. He said he loves it and gets to avoid all of the early morning production meetings. He genuinely seemed happy when he said it too so I wouldn't expect him back on tv unless he changes his mind.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think Pete is well aware that people miss him on TV and that probably boosts his morale (as if he needs it), but yeah, the duties of radio probably suit him and his life better right now.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I don't really pay a lot of attention but I think it's absurd that our radio crew is 100x better than the TV one. I understand that it takes a lot of talent to describe the action on the radio, but our top crew should be on TV.

Why think that? You have the game to look at; with Radio, you need someone to draw you in and keep you engaged. If you're unhappy with the announcing of TV you can turn it down and still watch, if you're unhappy with radio you stop listening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad