Predators block ticket sales for Pens fans

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is nothing new, it's happened for many years by several teams.

Everything is a conspiracy against pens fans.. :shakehead

Lol, I remember this being talked about on broadcasts dating back to AT LEAST the Wings-Avs rivalries of the mid-to-late 90s, before Internet forums were even a widespread thing!

It happens everywhere all the time. And if I owned a team, I'd do the exact same thing. Fans are essentially volunteer marketers of your product. And I want as many of them to pay ME to market MY PRODUCT as possible.

dannyg79

May 29, 2017
It is a business decision. I have no issue with it. Much better to keep the home fan base happy than to cater to opposing fans. Like many people have said, it doesnt really matter, as only a few hundred tickets were even up for sale to non season ticket holders. And for the people talking about tourism dollars, Nashville is one of the most popular tourist cities in the country, the few hundred opposing fans that might come to a playoff game wouldnt make much of a dent in that regard.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It is a business decision. I have no issue with it. Much better to keep the home fan base happy than to cater to opposing fans. Like many people have said, it doesnt really matter, as only a few hundred tickets were even up for sale to non season ticket holders. And for the people talking about tourism dollars, Nashville is one of the most popular tourist cities in the country, the few hundred opposing fans that might come to a playoff game wouldnt make much of a dent in that regard.

Not to mention the fact that the series is going on at the exact same time as Nashville's annual CMA Fest. That alone is going to make downtown a crazy place to be, add in a SCF game in the middle of that? Yeah it will be crazy and 200 fans from the other fan base or casual fans from out of state wouldn't make a dent of difference..

CMA Fest 2016 said:
The four-day music festival drew a record-setting daily attendance of 87,680 fans this year, according to numbers released Monday by the CMA. That's up 9.6 percent compared to 2014. For the first time in festival history, the Riverfront Stage hit capacity on Saturday afternoon, with 25,000 fans in attendance.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/06/cma-fest-hits-new-attendance-record.html

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
http://www.wpxi.com/news/predators-block-pa-residents-from-stanley-cup-final-ticket-sales/526816684

"Penguins fans planning road trips to Tennessee to support their team in the Stanley Cup Final might hit a speed bump.

Sales of tickets to Games 3, 4 and - if necessary, 6 - on Ticketmaster's website are restricted to residents of the Predators' viewing area: Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia.

"Orders by residents outside the viewing area will be canceled without notice and refunds given," according to a warning on the website. Residency will be established by the address associated with the purchasing credit card."

What do you guys think about this?

No issues - can't force a company to do business with you.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
It's the reality of sports now. Many teams are doing this, and eventually all of them will. Teams want their hometown fans in the building and have no obligation to appease opposing fans.

Not only that, but it is only fair, in my opinion, to give the better opportunity to people who supported you thru 41+ home games to attend the finals instead of allowing a free for all and know it will end up in the hands of some Hollywood stars who have no ****ing idea where Nashville is.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It's not just with NHL teams where this practice is done. The last home playoff game for the Arizona Cardinals had ticket sales restricted to those who have a zip code in Arizona in order to prevent Green Bay fans from buying tickets.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's legal, and it's prudent, and people should stop whining about it.

Right-Refuse-Services-Sign-S-7385.gif

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
A lot of my favorite games back in Chicago were when the opposing team's base invaded, especially when things were a dumpster fire. I always look forward to Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Blues & Wings games, most times you meet some cool out of town folks at that. At the same time I've traveled to Minny, Detroit, Philly, St. Louis, Miami, and San Jose with zero issues getting tickets.

The first time I saw this Nashville stuff and the fan base blaming Chicago fans I thought the whole thing was a temporary overreaction as it seemed very un-hockey-like. Now that I live here and have attended a few games, I agree with some other posters that it's bred out of insecurity of STH's with a small market mentality angle to the whole thing.

Blame everyone but yourselves, lots of silly excuses for something there is no real reason to do. People have been traveling to opposing barns for 100 years now.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
People get bent out of shape about this sort of thing but I don't have a problem with it. Besides, it's quite common now anyway

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
the worst invasion I was a part of was a Pens game in Columbus where they had fans ride the zamboni at intermission and they were Pens fans :laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
A lot of my favorite games back in Chicago were when the opposing team's base invaded, especially when things were a dumpster fire. I always look forward to Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Blues & Wings games, most times you meet some cool out of town folks at that. At the same time I've traveled to Minny, Detroit, Philly, St. Louis, Miami, and San Jose with zero issues getting tickets.

The first time I saw this Nashville stuff and the fan base blaming Chicago fans I thought the whole thing was a temporary overreaction as it seemed very un-hockey-like. Now that I live here and have attended a few games, I agree with some other posters that it's bred out of insecurity of STH's with a small market mentality angle to the whole thing.

Blame everyone but yourselves, lots of silly excuses for something there is no real reason to do. People have been traveling to opposing barns for 100 years now.

This is completely false. The last year before the team started implementing these kind of policies saw a Preds 7-2 beat down on Chicago and that night the city set a record number arrest in single night. Most of which were of people with Illinois driver licenses. Say what you will, but this is just as much about safety as it is anything else. A large percentage (not all) of fans of Chicago that travel to Nashville are some of the most ill behaved people I have seen in my entire life.

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
This is completely false. The last year before the team started implementing these kind of policies saw a Preds 7-2 beat down on Chicago and that night the city set a record number arrest in single night. Most of which were of people with Illinois driver licenses. Say what you will, but this is just as much about safety as it is anything else. A large percentage (not all) of fans of Chicago that travel to Nashville are some of the most ill behaved people I have seen in my entire life.

Just like I said, small market mentality.....:laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Just like I said, small market mentality.....:laugh:

Say what you will but the team still has zero issue selling out even with these policies. So just what makes this a small market mentality? If it was a small market mentality, wouldn't they not restrict sales because they would need the outside sales? Seems like you have zero clue about anything when it comes to this team.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Say what you will but the team still has zero issue selling out even with these policies. So just what makes this a small market mentality? If it was a small market mentality, wouldn't they not restrict sales because they would need the outside sales? Seems like you have zero clue about anything when it comes to this team.

Exactly, Nashville has no problem selling out, whereas a team like The Ducks need outside sales, even with that they still can barely fill the seats :laugh:

deytookerjaabs

Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore

I never said anything about the ability to sell tickets. They restricted sales to the viewer base in non-competing areas and have "reasons" for doing so. That's it, nothing more.

I can say that other teams have been through this many times in the past without implementing (or even giving a though to) such policies. It never even occurred to me that it was going on in the NHL until I read about it one day on this forum. You should have seen certain games at the United Center circa '97-'99 when IMO the audiences in general were rougher around the edges :laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I never said anything about the ability to sell tickets. They restricted sales to the viewer base in non-competing areas and have "reasons" for doing so. That's it, nothing more.

I can say that other teams have been through this many times in the past without implementing (or even giving a though to) such policies. It never even occurred to me that it was going on in the NHL until I read about it one day on this forum. You should have seen certain games at the United Center circa '97-'99 when IMO the audiences in general were rougher around the edges :laugh:

Chicago also had ownership who didn't care one bit about the team's fans. Nashville's ownership has a different approach that has grown the local fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00