Lines from training camp

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - Comeau
Nichushkin - Faksa - Pitlick
Shore - Dickinson - Ritchie

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns
Methot - Honka

Good to see Dickinson above Elie, Smith.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Friedman just said in his 31 thoughts that in the hours leading up to the deal Ottawa really wanted Roope Hintz. Not sure if that was a dealbreaker but Friedman said it was "disputed".

Here's his full quote about Dallas' negotiations:

"Dallas, for example, was never willing to do Miro Heiskanen. (I’d heard from a few places in the hours before the trade that Ottawa loved what it saw from Roope Hintz at last week’s Traverse City tournament and made a pitch, but that was disputed.)"

Jim Nill really didn't wanna part with any prospects at all apparently lol

Its really looking like Nill was of the mind set of "We have an elite 1RD. Sure Karlsson is nice but not getting him is far from the end of the world. Ill make a decent offer but wont budge on it. If they take it we get way better for cheap, if they dont thats ok"

Also based on all these comments I dont understand how in the hell we were ever "in the lead".

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sorry, but Rope Hintz would have been okay to trade. You need more elite players, and there has to be some pain.
I had read one report pre trade that a major roster player would have been involved, leading me to believe it was Lindell or Faksa, but who knows.

Just seems like we could have had EK for not a lot of pain, but who knows. I hope his ankle doesn't hold up as well as he hopes, just to make us feel better about not giving up the farm. Not that I wish EK any harm, LOL.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Damn I'm getting excited for the season. Can't wait to see Heiskanen and how the return of Nuchiskin works

Exactly what I was thinking today. We didn't make any off-season moves that are worth being excited about, but there is absolutely going to be interesting stuff to keep an eye on. How does Honka perform, The return of Nichushkin, can Heiskanen live up to the hype, how does this team transition from a Hitchcock to a Monty system, does Spezza bounce back, and does Hintz make the lineup and who else surprises out of training camp. Lot of things to keep an eye on. Getting my opening night tickets today and maybe even tickets to the first pre-season game but I wanna wait to see the lineup first

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
The more I think about it the more I'm ok the Stars didn't get EK. Not saying it wouldn't have been nice, but the fact is the Stars will be adding quite a few new faces to the regular fold as is. Honka, Hintz, Comeau, HEISKANEN, Nichushkin can all possibly play a large role in improving the depth this team needs. I for one am excited to see how it goes. If it goes ok, good, but if it's win one lose one 500 hockey, I'd expect changes. I think Nill just wants to see how these additions change the complexion of the team, especially under a new coaching staff.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
"Our depth is shit"

"Why didnt we trade Janmark, Hintz, Johns, and Dellandrea for Karlsson WTF"

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The more I think about it the more I'm ok the Stars didn't get EK. Not saying it wouldn't have been nice, but the fact is the Stars will be adding quite a few new faces to the regular fold as is. Honka, Hintz, Comeau, HEISKANEN, Nichushkin can all possibly play a large role in improving the depth this team needs. I for one am excited to see how it goes. If it goes ok, good, but if it's win one lose one 500 hockey, I'd expect changes. I think Nill just wants to see how these additions change the complexion of the team, especially under a new coaching staff.

Unless the new coaching staff lights a fire under Benn, Spezza, Nichushkin this is not a playoff team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
"Our depth is ****"

"Why didnt we trade Janmark, Hintz, Johns, and Dellandrea for Karlsson WTF"

Erik Karlsson playing 25+ mins a night would have a significantly higher impact on this team's performance than all 4 of those guys combined.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Erik Karlsson playing 25+ mins a night would have a significantly higher impact on this team's performance than all 4 of those guys combined.

It's hard to say. Janmark should put up 20 goals and John's ( I know you dont like him or anyone lol) is a big part of this team. Lead the team in block shots and hits, and I'm sorry but I dont want a defense group that hands out flowers. Need someone to be physical out there

But, yes Karlsson would have been amazing. Who knows if he'd resign here though

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
For this season - what about the next ten seasons after EK goes to Tampa on July 1?

Who cares. You have to spend money to make money.

It's hard to say. Janmark should put up 20 goals and John's ( I know you dont like him or anyone lol) is a big part of this team. Lead the team in block shots and hits, and I'm sorry but I dont want a defense group that hands out flowers. Need someone to be physical out there

But, yes Karlsson would have been amazing. Who knows if he'd resign here though

Janmark is a good player and it would really hurt to part with him.

Stephen Johns isn't good at modern hockey. Hits correlate with playing without the puck. He's a good #7 defenseman. Not exactly a hot commodity these days.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If your reasoning behind not trading Janmark and some scraps scraps for Erik Karlsson is that you don't have sufficient players to replace the void left by Mattias Janmark, there is something wrong with how you've built the team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Also, it's kind of funny how the Sharks became a strong Stanley Cup contender.

They've traded 3 1st round picks and whatever scraps are attached to get Martin Jones, Evander Kane and Erik Karlsson. These are calculated risks by Doug Wilson since his scouts seem to be no better than the average NHL club at drafting.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Also, it's kind of funny how the Sharks became a strong Stanley Cup contender.

They've traded 3 1st round picks and whatever scraps are attached to get Martin Jones, Evander Kane and Erik Karlsson. These are calculated risks by Doug Wilson since his scouts seem to be no better than the average NHL club at drafting.

The Sharks were already a playoff team before trading those picks to become a contender - that's the smart way to do it. Ask Detroit fans how fun it is when your GM keeps trading away draft picks and prospects in order to lose in the first round.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The Sharks were already a playoff team before trading those picks to become a contender - that's the smart way to do it. Ask Detroit fans how fun it is when your GM keeps trading away draft picks and prospects in order to lose in the first round.

The Sharks missed the playoffs in 2014-15. They drafted 9th overall. That same summer, they moved a 1st for Martin Jones.

In 2015-16 they went to the SCF. Go figure. Take risks.

The Pacific also hasn't been a tough division in recent years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad