GDT: Pre-Season: Ottawa Senators vs Montreal Canadiens 7:00pm EST: TSN5, RDS (HD), TSN 690

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yes exactly. I mean I know the team will most likely suck anyways, but if you're saying Ottawa was missing a lot of players, at least say Montreal was missing most of the team.
Habs iced one NHL center and it was Evans, the team 4th line center. The others were an AHLer who can be a temporary injury replacement and two kids drafted last June.

Pitlick/Evans/Matheson were fine.
Armia went with low effort.
Wideman/Leskinen are not permanent top 6 dmen.
Drouin is now afraid of his shadow.
Hoffman was back playing for the Sens.

The kids:
- Mesar was good, but he needs to grow stronger.
- Beck barely managed to handle Giroux/Brassard/DeBrincat while carrying Hoffman and Drouin all night. That's a feat.
- Barron/Ghule needs to gain experience, the game is a bit too fast for them sometimes.
- Harris was good
- RHP//Ylonen were serviceable
- Primeau was good

Stephens/Richards were AHLers trying to leave a calling card.

Pitlick/Evans/Armia work as a line and it will probably be the 4th line to start the season unless someone is waived/traded. But I think Drouin must be a the top of the trade or waive list right now...but he won't be him because he's the "petit gars de chez nous" on the lineup.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I really hope I’m wrong but right now I feel like Primeaus confidence is trending down. He needs to come up with a save no matter how difficult late in games. I know it’s pre-season and the D is not spectacular, but right now he looks more like Zach Fucale than Carey Price. I will be the first to eat these words and really hope I have to!

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
They had two nhl defenseman in the lineup, one of which was wideman. Lol.

In fact the habs have been playing with 4-5 rookie d in the lineup almost all preseason.

Pray tell which stellar NHL defencemen were we holding out last night? The increasingly broken down Edmundson? The largely static Savard? Both of whom couldn't have scored the goal that Barron did in the third period. Basically, the defence you saw last game, with some minor tinkering, is our defence going forward this season. Its going to be a long year, and at the end of it, the shine on MSL may be diminished in the eyes of some of the faithful. But the de-construction of the team, and the inevitable losing that comes with it, was a necessity. Now, we have to hope that the new management team is up to the task of rebuilding this storied franchise. While I'm optimistic, all of us have to understand that there will be rocky times ahead.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Perhaps, but even when we ice our ‘strong’ team, we will still be a bottom feeder in the league. All I want is a fast and exciting team. If they lose, which is inevitable, so be it. That’s why God created the draft lottery. I’m patient. As every Hab fan will have to be in the coming years. After not winning a Cup in 3 decades, what’s a few more years?
We are a bottom feeder. We will suck for at least three seasons. But we had TWO 18 year olds in our lineup yesterday. And many 20-21s. This is as a nothing burger game.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Pray tell which stellar NHL defencemen were we holding out last night? The increasingly broken down Edmundson? The largely static Savard? Both of whom couldn't have scored the goal that Barron did in the third period. Basically, the defence you saw last game, with some minor tinkering, is our defence going forward this season. Its going to be a long year, and at the end of it, the shine on MSL may be diminished in the eyes of some of the faithful. But the de-construction of the team, and the inevitable losing that comes with it, was a necessity. Now, we have to hope that the new management team is up to the task of rebuilding this storied franchise. While I'm optimistic, all of us have to understand that there will be rocky times ahead.
So true. The only thing that could make this post better would be to write it in the form of a poem.

There should be a an alternate Tank/Gdt for every game where the sane can take refuge and offer support during these hard times!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Perhaps, but even when we ice our ‘strong’ team, we will still be a bottom feeder in the league. All I want is a fast and exciting team. If they lose, which is inevitable, so be it. That’s why God created the draft lottery. I’m patient. As every Hab fan will have to be in the coming years. After not winning a Cup in 3 decades, what’s a few more years?

Yeah, the last 2 games both teams will have a better idea of how things will go.

We should have Suzuki, Dach & Dvorak playing. Anderson, Caufield, etc on wings, etc.

For Sens, they have some quality depth up front now, but nothing in mold of Barkov, Matthews, Marner, Stamkos, Kucherov which is where the big difference lies. Still, their depth should have them challenging teams like Boston/Washington.

I'm also not convinced about their D. It's still largely 30 minutes of Chabot, Sanderson & a prayer. Hamonic & Zaitsev are not good.

We'll see how the season. I'm hoping for a top 4 pick for us. No question.

Reactions: SlafySZN and Andy

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
We are a bottom feeder. We will suck for at least three seasons. But we had TWO 18 year olds in our lineup yesterday. And many 20-21s. This is as a nothing burger game.
Maybe. But at last night's nothing game, the Senators didn't dress Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Chabot, and Zub, most of whom would be among the strongest players on our team. The difference in our teams' respective immediate futures, is stark.

So true. The only thing that could make this post better would be to write it in the form of a poem.

There should be a an alternate Tank/Gdt for every game where the sane can take refuge and offer support during these hard times!
All we can expect ( hope for) this year is to be entertained. Let the future handle itself.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe. But at last night's nothing game, the Senators didn't dress Tkachuk, Stutzle, Norris, Batherson, Chabot, and Zub, most of whom would be among the strongest players on our team. The difference in our teams' respective immediate futures, is stark.
It would have a been a massacre. I think coaches talk to each other before the game to make sure lineups aren’t uber unbalanced.

We will suck for three seasons (less and less as seasons move along). I expect a bottom three finish again this season.

Hens looked like that 4 seasons ago. Our turn now. By the time we get better, Hens will have a 2-3 year window to win it all and then will have to trade their stars, because it’s Ottawa, and then we will be the Hens of today.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It would have a been a massacre. I think coaches talk to each other before the game to make sure lineups aren’t uber unbalanced.

We will suck for three seasons (less and less as seasons move along). I expect a bottom three finish again this season.

Hens looked like that 4 seasons ago. Our turn now. By the time we get better, Hens will have a 2-3 year window to win it all and then will have to trade their stars, because it’s Ottawa, and then we will be the Hens of today.

This is pretty much spot on. Of course if Tkachuk, Stutzle and so on were dressed, it would had been a massacre but the Hens have been rebuilding for like a half a decade. They’ve drafted well, I’ll give them that. If we can continue to do likewise and develop, we’ll eventually get there.

One advantage we have against most generic rebuilds is we are a larger market and have deeper pockets. Also, while Bergy didn’t leave us with high-end talent and put us in cap hell, he did leave us with a lot of draft picks and as funny as it sounds (and in typical Bergy fashion), he left us with a lot of depth in the pipelines.

Reactions: Andrei79

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don’t think he resigns personally

It's going to be interesting. Cat's Q.O next summer is $9m, so he could easily accept that & walk himself to UFA.

It currently doesn't sound like he's against signing in Ottawa, but he also just got there. How the season goes will probably impact his decision.

Sens main guys are signed long term: Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Batherson & Chabot, so there should be some stability with their core.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Despite 5 goals against, Primeau played real well. Made some big saves when the Sens were buzzing.

I also liked the kids on D: Guhle, Harris, Barron & Leskinen. They didn't play a flawless game, but you saw enough of what they can each bring.

Despite the goal and assist, I think Barron played his best game of the preseason last night on both ends of the ice.

Up front, Beck was saddled with two deadweights, and yet, he still was noticeable. Mesar & Ylonen played a solid game. Nothing flashy, but efficient. RHP and Pez were what they will be, energy guys, and they did a good job.

And some of the vets you know look ready to get started are Evans, Pitlick & Matheson.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What’s troubling is the talent that Ottawa didn’t dress in the game. Even without a half dozen of their best players missing, including their top line, they were a much faster and more dynamic a team. In a year or two, the Senators will be among the top teams in hockey. We better draft well over the next two years if we hope to compete.

I don't know if I'd call this troubling. We're talking about the worst team in the league starting a rebuild. The Sens have a ton of talent. They didn't in 2018. This team is a bit farther along than that, so it's entirely possible it has a lot of talent in two years.
Keep Mesar for now. Keep Leskinen for now to. Guys I'd send right away:
Beck
Richard
RHP
Stephens

And there's something we might look at....Pezz. Keep him as 13th? Or Waiver time?

Why the rush in sending down Beck ? He's earned at least a further look in preseason. I'd keep him until he falters and send him down at the end of camp.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It's going to be interesting. Cat's Q.O next summer is $9m, so he could easily accept that & walk himself to UFA.

It currently doesn't sound like he's against signing in Ottawa, but he also just got there. How the season goes will probably impact his decision.

Sens main guys are signed long term: Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Batherson & Chabot, so there should be some stability with their core.
I think we've learned that until a player signs, it's better to assume they're going to leave.

DrBrincat is good, but the sens are likely to miss the playoffs again and it will be interesting to see how next season goes for them. If they make it, or trending towards that he might be willing to sign then long-term with the sens.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think we've learned that until a player signs, it's better to assume they're going to leave.

DrBrincat is good, but the sens are likely to miss the playoffs again and it will be interesting to see how next season goes for them. If they make it, or trending towards that he might be willing to sign then long-term with the sens.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on whether they'll miss or not. If they were in the West, I think they'd likely be in. In the east, it's really due to how stacked the conference is. But, looking at their roster, they have a ton of talent. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Despite 5 goals against, Primeau played real well. Made some big saves when the Sens were buzzing.

I also liked the kids on D: Guhle, Harris, Barron & Leskinen. They didn't play a flawless game, but you saw enough of what they can each bring.

Despite the goal and assist, I think Barron played his best game of the preseason last night on both ends of the ice.

Up front, Beck was saddled with two deadweights, and yet, he still was noticeable. Mesar & Ylonen played a solid game. Nothing flashy, but efficient. RHP and Pez were what they will be, energy guys, and they did a good job.

And some of the vets you know look ready to get started are Evans, Pitlick & Matheson.
I have a hard time seeing how the Habs aren't going to start the season with 3 rookies (Guhle/Barron/Harris) in the top 6.

And there might be a 4th if you consider Corey Schueneman a rookie.

The only other potential guy who i'm somewhat intrigued at seeing is Madison Bowey but even he doesn't have a ton of NHL experience.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm having a hard time getting a read on whether they'll miss or not. If they were in the West, I think they'd likely be in. In the east, it's really due to how stacked the conference is. But, looking at their roster, they have a ton of talent. I wouldn't count them out just yet.
Pretty much, if they were in the west they'd make it for sure..

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

The circle of life and the prescriptions of the cap era.

Reactions: cphabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don’t know that Melnyk’s daughters will necesssrily be running the franchise in the same shortsighted manner as their father. Plus, they’re looking to relocate downtown, so they maybe operating differently than they have, with new partners and new revenue streams.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree, it might even be 5. When we look at so many teams league-wide that have chosen to rebuild, there are few that didn't need 3-5 years especially with the cap being what it is. The NY Rangers might be the exception but much of that has to do with them being a desired location for free agents but for most it takes time.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I agree, it might even be 5. When we look at so many teams league-wide that have chosen to rebuild, there are few that didn't need 3-5 years especially with the cap being what it is. The NY Rangers might be the exception but much of that has to do with them being a desired location for free agents but for most it takes time.
Rebuild time is tied to how long it takes to develop top Ds and a starter goalie.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I genuinely didn't think Hoffman had it in him to do worse than last season yet somehow...

Usually, the vets get better throughout camp a they work through the rust.

Hoffman's first preseason game against the Devils, he actually looked decent. And last night, he was dreadful.

So he's one of those vets who gets worse as camp progresses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad