GDT: Pre-Season LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 10/3/23

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Rough game for Byfield. And Kopitar, really. They started the game with a lot of energy and pace, and then they both started fading before the first ended.
That's what I would expect though. It's scrimmage. You're just going through the motions. Get a feel for a things. Pushing hard would be a mistake IMO.

I think Fiala is going too hard in these games. He needs to chill.

It's different if you're a trying to make the roster.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Just rewatched the Kempe goal and I can’t say it enough, Fiala is such a good player. The fact he was able to keep the puck in while being hounded by 2 ducks. Fed it Doughty, Doughty to Arvidsson, and Kempe the goal. That’s how you create space. When you’re as dangerous as Fiala, your presence alone drifts defenseman towards you.

Fiala is so f***ing talented. The last player the Kings had that was similar to Fiala in skill level is Palffy. Let that sink in man.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Coaches and management felt the travel and time change would really impact the players that went to Australia, as noted in the recent video:

Edit: Woah. They took down the 50 or so min full video and instead uploaded a mere 1 min trailer version (had just watched it earlier today around lunch).

I just don’t get it. Even reading the ducks board they’re calling Byfield a bust since Drysdale is out-producing him as well. The kings should be more concerned about his game readiness than him playing only 2 games so far. Think if Byfield doesn’t pick it up drastically by December/January then the bust talks will start to hold some really undeniable weight. He needs to start being a factor asap.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just don’t get it. Even reading the ducks board they’re calling Byfield a bust since Drysdale is out-producing him as well. The kings should be more concerned about his game readiness than him playing only 2 games so far. Think if Byfield doesn’t pick it up drastically by December/January then the bust talks will start to hold some really undeniable weight. He needs to start being a factor asap.
No problem with you disliking Byfield, but using feedback from a local rival team fanboard is an absurd discussion point.

Reactions: funky

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Q is playing like he doesn’t give a shit about NHL aspirations.

Zero pace. Zero fire. Just kinda, there.
It’s what? His third preseason game. It’s also his first since Australia so these guys are undercooked. I’ll start judging players from regular season game 1 because for these guys it’s about preparing for that, getting their legs under them, timing correct and adjusting to any system tweaks. Whilst seeing Q dominate a game is what WE want it’s not specifically what preseason is for. These games ultimately count for nothing which is why Turcotte and it seems Clarke go to Ontario regardless of performance.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
It’s what? His third preseason game. It’s also his first since Australia so these guys are undercooked. I’ll start judging players from regular season game 1 because for these guys it’s about preparing for that, getting their legs under them, timing correct and adjusting to any system tweaks. Whilst seeing Q dominate a game is what WE want it’s not specifically what preseason is for. These games ultimately count for nothing which is why Turcotte and it seems Clarke go to Ontario regardless of performance.
For a 2nd overall pick who is by all indications “primed for a breakout” to show what he has, is certainly cause for concern.

A player with 33 career points and everything to prove doesn’t get to “cruise” through any amount of pre season.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Too many people are putting too much weight on pre-season.....I take it these are the same type of guys that draft in May for Fantasy Football, and wager a shit ton of money on pre-season games.

Reactions: ZJames and johnjm22

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
PL and Kopitar play similar games, I don't know if I'd put them together. Both need to carry the puck to be effective.

Not writing off Kopitar by any means, but at least he's not the best center on the team anymore.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
PL and Kopitar play similar games, I don't know if I'd put them together. Both need to carry the puck to be effective.

Not writing off Kopitar by any means, but at least he's not the best center on the team anymore.
Arvidsson - Kopitar - Kempe …another shooter on Kopi’s wing
Byfield - Danault - Fiala …pulled off his outta my ass but it’s intriguing
Turcotte - PLD - Moore … another intriguing line lol
Kaliyev - Lizotte - Lewis … AK will end up here anyways

Sorry guys, I’m in the porcelain throne passing the time :sarcasm:

Yeah he is and now that he’ll hopefully have a lighter load you’ll see it more clearly

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Arvidsson - Kopitar - Kempe …another shooter on Kopi’s wing
Byfield - Danault - Fiala …pulled off his outta my ass but it’s intriguing
Turcotte - PLD - Moore … another intriguing line lol
Kaliyev - Lizotte - Lewis … AK will end up here anyways

Sorry guys, I’m in the porcelain throne passing the time :sarcasm:

Yeah he is and now that he’ll hopefully have a lighter load you’ll see it more clearly
I've learned to never bet against Kopitar.

That said, PLD has been right on his tail the last two years production-wise and he plays a lot fewer minutes. He's generally in the 18-minute range for games. Yeah, Kopitar had 11 more points last year but he played 600 more minutes.

I should qualify that as a better player offensively, PLD will never be the defensive force Kopi is.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
BTW, Zack Kassian looks horrible. He's done.

Physical player burnout is real and it's crazy

I remember talking about that around guys like Brown, Andrew Ladd, Brendan Morrow...they're like NFL running backs, they approach 30 and often just completely fall off the map isntead of slow burnout

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Move PL to the wing with Kopitar and Byfield between Fiala and Kayilev?
I don’t think that’s a good idea. You don’t want to risk neutralizing Fiala by putting him with someone like Byfield. Maybe put byfield with Moore and Arvidsson.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
For a 2nd overall pick who is by all indications “primed for a breakout” to show what he has, is certainly cause for concern.

A player with 33 career points and everything to prove doesn’t get to “cruise” through any amount of pre season.
I guess what I’m saying is it could simply be that his focus is on very specific things, rather than going full intensity which isn’t needed. Game 1 though it’s a different story.

That said my concern is still his confidence. I didn’t like the thinly veiled threat from TMac basically saying he had a short leash. That didn’t need to be done in public. This generation generally needs more love than that. I felt those comments were for TMacs personal PR, not to help QB.

Reactions: Gjwrams

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You guys worry way too much about Byfield. Absolute worst case, we can turn him into a cheap defensive center with some size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad