Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 8: Oilers 2 @ Canucks 3 - No witty pun until TPM shows up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
McCann with a good third. Continued to do more with and without the puck than someone else vying for a spot.

Hutton one big mistake but played well otherwise.

Bart, Sbisa and Webrr tire fires to varying degrees.

Sutter...tools no toolbox.

Baertschi...invisible after the early pass.

Miller...very good game.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Puck moves faster than players.

Indeed they do which is why I don't excited over great skating Dmen like Bart and Sbisa. They can't pass and have trouble making the quick decision and don't have the stick skills to actually beat someone. Hutton on the other hand seems to skate well but also moves the puck well and that is what has made him effective this preseason.

Fast teams don't just skate withe puck they move the puck the best way possible given the situation. Sometimes that will,be skating with it but most often it is pass and move pass and move.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
The Canucks were badly outlplayed in those parts of the game I bothered to watch.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Cracknell is probably a better fit on the 4th line than McCann, but McCann deserves to be up here. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I'd be interested in seeing Hutton-Tanev, with Edler moving to the right side to play with Hamhuis. Bartkowski and Sbisa take the bottom pairing.

Overall, I thought the game was 'meh'. Sutter had a few good opportunities but he seems to have the hands of Hansen.

Baertschi is like the exact opposite of Ryan Kesler, in the sense that he over-passes and tries to use his teammates too much.

I thought Prust looked good on the PK.

Miller had by far his best game (much to the chagrin of posters on here?).

I don't know how they'll handle the Sutter situation if McCann makes the team and proves ready to move up.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
When he said "I don't want to commit" regarding Hutton, my reading into that means he wants him to stay

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The game wasn't all that great so it's hard to evaluate this game IMO, nobody really stood out even the rookies. Desjardins described Virtanen's game today as "good enough" when asked about McCann, Hutton, and Virtanen's game tonight. Not sure that's a good comment.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
McCann is legit. the coaching staff has no choice but to keep him with the defensive effort he showed tonight. they would have to be completely brain dead to not give him 9 games.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
McCann is legit. the coaching staff has no choice but to keep him with the defensive effort he showed tonight. they would have to be completely brain dead to not give him 9 games.

Well with the logic of WD and JB, having both Hutton and McCann sent down seems like a fairly distinct possibility.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Individually, I thought Sutter had a good performance, but he's still an awful fit with the Sedins-- telling that the Sedins played like **** all game long and then turned it up with ten minutes to go and create two goals without him.

McCann/Hutton weren't as dominant as they were in some other games, but this was one of those games where you still go "I'm happy with this level of play in the regular season".

Cracknell is so-so-- Some flashes, but I don't want him on the team, personally.

Horvat was very good as usual, but that line is neutered when it has both Vrbata and Baertschi on it-- it needs more aggressiveness. Baertschi was okay-- I thought Vrbata was invisible.

I was pretty happy with Burrows/Hansen-- exactly the kind of game you'd expect from them in the regular season.

Miller was excellent. I didn't expect him to turn his game around this quickly after looking awful early on.

Virtanen was fine in his role, but I'm not sure I'm crazy about him making the team unless he's playing with Horvat/Baertschi-- it's the only spot where his capabilities seem to be taken advantage of.

Weber, Sbisa, Bartkowski were awful. Both Hutton and Biega easily deserve a spot ahead of all of them, but unfortunately Biega will be sent down.

Edler/Tanev very good.

All of the young guys (including Gaunce/Biega) DESERVE to be on the team, but it won't happen. I think Hutton and Virtanen are shoe-ins to make it, and I get the feeling that McCann will get his 9 games as well. I think Vey is as good as gone, but we're still going to be seeing ALOT of Sbisa/Bartkowski.

That Sedin goal was absolutely filthy.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
" honestly I really liked it " when asked about the twins and sutter

I don't hate it either TBH.

It allows Horvat to be our 2C, for one (which he should be either way).

And keep this in mind: If WD likes the idea of Sutter with the Twins, it means 2 things - 1) He likes the idea of Horvat as 2C and 2) He likes the idea of someone else as 3C.

Who is that someone else? I don't know for sure, but I can't see why it would be anyone other than McCann. Vey and Cracknell were not comparable to McCann this preseason. At this point I think it's still a long shot and we will ultimately see Sutter at C, but this move does at least show you where WD's thought process is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca