GDT: Pre-Season Game #7 Grand Rapids Red Wings @ Toronto Maple Marlies 7:00 PM ET

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...Telling people to eat crow because of 1 game? Please.

Dude will be 20 this month! I don't know what the past comments were discussing Svechnikov but no "may be" about it- this kid is guaranteed to make the show. Awesome draft choice by Holland and the Wings.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Showing "flashes" which most people described it as where few and far between. He does have the skill and the ability. I think he could develop and be a good player, maybe even a great one. But in terms of this pre-season, he was not even in the top 5 of players that was missing half our regular team. Thats not good enough. I was far more impressed with Ott than Svech.

Telling people to eat crow because of 1 game? Please.
I don't think you remember the posters saying he's a bust after the WJC.

And then there are the Russian posters who insist he's magically a bust because he didn't develop in Russia...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Some highlights from tonight's preseason game against Toronto. He's #37.

reBVpWw.gif

AmLZiwA.gif

DhlWc3T.gif

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That Bertuzzi shift on the 2nd goal was totally unbelieveable. He makes all those key plays there, steals the puck on 1-on-1 battle, protects it between 3 guys, keeps the play going, plays the puck on point, then re-directs that point shot, to make it tougher for a goaltender. Superbly smart plays to "buy higher percentages" for the offensive team. Svechnikov got an easy goal and Russo got an easy assist, good for them, but the smartness in this goal was all Bertuzzi.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That Bertuzzi shift on the 2nd goal was totally unbelieveable. He makes all those key plays there, steals the puck on 1-on-1 battle, protects it between 3 guys, keeps the play going, plays the puck on point, then re-directs that point shot, to make it tougher for a goaltender. Superbly smart plays to "buy higher percentages" for the offensive team. Svechnikov got an easy goal and Russo got an easy assist, good for them, but the smartness in this goal was all Bertuzzi.

For sure, but Svech still went to the net in anticipation of a rebound/redirect. Sounds easy, but it seems a lot of players in the league don't do it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Does that include the previous however many preseason games where he has been just mediocre?
Missed this game but I've been impressed with Svech earlier in the pre-season considering where he's at in his development. Just because he's flying under the radar compared to older, more experienced prospects as well as NHL veterans doesn't mean he's been mediocre.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
A lot of posters here have some serious crow to eat on Svechnikov. The WJCs aren't everything.

I'll admit I gave him a hard time after the WJC, and I'm impressed with his performance last night, albeit it was preseason against a mostly junior lineup. We'll see how his first season goes in GRR then I may eat crow

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

I loved that 2nd goal. Hard work by The Nephtuzzi along the boards, Russo getting the shot on net (an under rated skill), Svech getting to the front of the net (another underrated skill) for the rebound.

It felt like a glimpse into the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad