GDT: Pre-Season Game 4 - Coyotes @ Sharks - 7:30PM

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't Johnny Hockey 23 though when he did that?

He just turned 23 a couple months ago, and he's got two seasons under his belt, so he would have been 21 at the camp before his first NHL season. Garland won't be 21 until March. He's also exactly the sort of prospect who will benefit from overcooking.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He just turned 23 a couple months ago, and he's got two seasons under his belt, so he would have been 21 at the camp before his first NHL season. Garland won't be 21 until March.

Cool. I knew he wasn't a just drafted player. He had some seasoning/development before making his statement at the NHL level.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Cool. I knew he wasn't a just drafted player. He had some seasoning/development before making his statement at the NHL level.

Coming out of the NCAA also meant that he had more experience playing against older competition as well.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Coming out of the NCAA also meant that he had more experience playing against older competition as well.

Yep under appreciated aspect of NCAA development is having to score against 18-23 year old D who can think the game much better and are more physically developed than 16-18 year olds of CHL.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bunting is sort of the opposite. His motor and peskiness make me think he'd be ready to play a fourth line role already. I'd still like him to spend another full year in the AHL, though. If he can develop a little bit more offense, he could be what we've wanted Downie, Torres and Carcillo to be: a chippy bottom six wing who can change the tone of a game and contribute a few points here and there. And he'll probably have a couple years before he develops the sort of reputation those guys all had.

I tend to agree with this. Last year was such a choppy year for Bunting, bouncing between Rapid City and a brutal Springfield team. Still, he finished sixth (4th among forwards) in team scoring (AHL), so maybe he's ready.

The fact that he's a LW helps his case for now. He can slot into the lineup until Rieder is figured out. That then allows us to send Perlini to Tucson and Crouse to Kingston. So, Domi-McGinn-Martinook-Bunting down the left side. Possibly swap Martinook and Bunting.

Once Rieder is signed (assuming he's not traded), Bunting can be returned to the AHL. A full year of development could do him well.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm waiting for that 19 year old phenom who takes one of our training camps by storm and never looks back, a la Johnny Hockey.

We already had Tyler Johnson come through camp once. How many chances do you want?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad