Pre-Season Game #4/ Chicago Blackhawks @ Detroit Red Wings 6:00 PM ET

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Kind of a Jarnkrok case. Development curve has been almost non-existant.

Hes smart enough. Saw some very hockey smart plays last night.

Problem is, as you said, he is way too slow. Speed is the name of the game these days and he doesn't seem to be able to keep up. If he cant keep up with a bunch of nobodies that Chicago iced last night, he's going to get murdalyzed by NHLers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Hes smart enough. Saw some very hockey smart plays last night.

Problem is, as you said, he is way too slow. Speed is the name of the game these days and he doesn't seem to be able to keep up. If he cant keep up with a bunch of nobodies that Chicago iced last night, he's going to get murdalyzed by NHLers.

XO is a very good example of why you can't just presume that skating (in this case acceleration) will improve. He has everything else to play at the NHL level but he just couldn't make meaningful gains with his feet. Russo looks slightly better in that department, but still has some hard work ahead of him in that regard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You mean, "the next Zetterberg."

He looked really good in Sweden, just never made any strength or skating gains.

If Z never made strength or skating gains he wouldn't have made it far either.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
XO is a very good example of why you can't just presume that skating (in this case acceleration) will improve. He has everything else to play at the NHL level but he just couldn't make meaningful gains with his feet. Russo looks slightly better in that department, but still has some hard work ahead of him in that regard.

Why do we assume that Russo can still improve while Ouellet's development is nearly done? Ouellet is younger than Russo.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Why do we assume that Russo can still improve while Ouellet's development is nearly done? Ouellet is younger than Russo.
I've only half paid attention to the games so far in pre-season, but Russo's skating looks like less of an issue than XO's to me.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After last night's game I believe we'll see Smith benched again early this season and another shot given to XO or Russo, etc.

The shift where Smith gave his patented huge giveaway up the slot then proceeded to scramble around the d-zone and take a penalty, just terrible. His skating up ice with the puck looked no better or even worse than last season. I've hoped in and defended Smith for years but am over it now. He's simply not smart enough to play at this level.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I am not sure that the capacity to get better is there, but he already has better acceleration than XO so he has a shorter distance to go to get to a respectable NHL level. XO's feet look exactly the same as they did three years ago. It goes to show you that not only do you need to be a very good hockey player to make it, you also need to be a great athlete.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It should also be noted that Russo is already better than Oulette

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Unrelated to any of the current discussion, but another reason to love Steve Ott:

cut.jpg

https://www.nhl.com/news/red-wings-...an-larkin-steve-ott/c-282354162?tid=281396148

In case anyone is wondering, it happened during this game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad