Pre-Season Game #1| Pittsburgh Penguins @ Detroit Red Wings 7:30 PM ET

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hard work pays off?

Callahan's skating was dicey before his knee injury in terms of the NHL. I think it hasn't rebounded all the way. Would be a popular kind of guy at least at first. But his inability to skate at the big league level would probably get even his happiest supporters to turn on him at some point.

Callahan might not have understood the Ferraro over him thing. But unfortunately it has played out with more than just the Red Wings. Mitch is passing through waivers and the guy he seemed kind of mystified going up over him is still getting shots around the league. Primarily because he is a much better skater than Mitch.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
So did Jimmy get injured or is he so bad that he can't even stay in a preseason game. Or are they doing the period switch

Hopefully Callahan shows he's better then ott

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I also like to see them together, because we have never (?) seem them together.

Remember a couple games where they played together and looked good in my opinion. Think it was under Babcock and then he ripped them apart.

But I would like to see them get legitimate run together. Think DeKeyser should be with Smith or Green.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Smith has usually looked good when paired with Kronner or DD. Just need to keep him away from guys that cannot pass at all like Q and Ericsson. He'd probably look ok with Green too, but that pairing would be a bit of a mess defensively.

I still think Smith would make a better forward than dman, but we are too jammed up front to try him there.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Wings were by far the better team, the difference in shots was from the Pens 5 PP's. Besides the 1st few minutes I felt it was all Detroit.

What a fun, fun game to get to. I wouldn't mind watching this level of hockey if it was close by. Fast paced, hard hitting, it had everything. The best thing about the Joe with such a small crowd is the freedom to sit wherever you want. For the 2nd and 3rd we walked right down to the lower bowl without even a glance.

I'm gushing with admiration for our entire organization, it's just Red Wing hockey plain and simple. Literally every Wing has this ability to find and use each other. All our players are good! Aubrey, G.Smith, Hicketts, Paetsch, Cambell, Tangradi, can all skate, make plays defending or on offense.

The 1st star was Callahan. I liked him in PS 2 years ago seriously he has grown. He made his presence felt tonight the goals were just icing on the cake. Lorito on his line was a star. He's small in stature but played a big game. Can't even count how many battles he won or pucks he stole. I read a comparison to Miele he could be only an AHL guy but he's thrilling to watch. That line was by far our best.

Svechnikov is taller and lanky but what skating and hands. He already stands out. Started a little timid but as the Wings took the lead he looked relaxed making numerous passes/plays. His goal was the prettiest of the night.

Howard and Coreau were excellent. Yeah yeah, it's pre-season but can't deny some of the unreal saves these guys made.

Green is exactly the same, a treat to watch in person. Silky smooth. He made things look so easy against mostly AHL players.

Only disappointment was Sheahan-Helm-Nyquist. The didn't dominate in any way. Had some chances and a little chemistry but I imagined they'd have a lot more. The effort was there just couldn't generate a whole lot. Sheahan's goal from a tricky Nyquist drop-pass ended up being a total fluke- a flubbed shot and the puck somehow trickled in. Not a bad game from the 3 but we are going to be needing much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad