GDT: Pre-Season Game #1 - 9.22.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I guess the other side of the argument is that Antoine Roussel was one of the best players in the league in that hard minutes role last year, and he should be kept doing that because it's a more valuable player than playing 3rd fiddle on the 2nd line where obviously Spezza and Hemsky are going to be mostly working off eachother.

There's lots of players we could throw up there to collect loose points, there are hardly any that could effectively replace Roussel's useage in his own end.

Don't disagree, but the coach clearly sees the value in experimenting so it's a moot point.

I would disagree though about not having players ready to step into a defensive shutdown role. They have plenty ... more for sure than players who could consistently score. It's not even close.

The name of the game isn't to go find some random guy to follow Spezza and Hemsky around the ice. They should find a guy that can keep up with them and contribute. I don't see why in the world a checking winger position should stop the team from finding the best fit.

Personally I hope to see Roussel back with Eakin. It just seems silly to say he's irreplaceable on the 3rd line, but your 2nd line winger is insignificant.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
But how awesome would it be if Roussel does well with Spezza and Hemsky and looks like a legit top six winger. He's looked really good during training camp so far.

squeda22

Sep 26, 2013
Want to know my vote on the Cole/Rooster argument? Well you're getting it anyway :P.. Antoine Roussel IIHF World Championships France: 8 games played, 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
But how awesome would it be if Roussel does well with Spezza and Hemsky and looks like a legit top six winger. He's looked really good during training camp so far.

I'd love it if he could take that step especially after he signed a 4 year deal being paid as a third liner. It could make him a valuable trade option or a cheap core player. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen but I think Roussel is a lot more likely to have a surprise season playing with Spezza and Hemsky than Cole is. And I'm admittedly big on Roussel after watching the documentary about him because he talked a lot about wanting to improve his game beyond just being an agitator and Ruff and Nill both spoke highly of him

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

We've got a better chance at winning the cup than this happening.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

Weirder things have happened, how many thought Benn would be one of the best LW in the NHL when we drafted him. Just saying Roussel looked really really good in training camp, way better then last year, at least in my opinion.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You're comparing the development of an 18 year old kid to an almost 25 year old who spends most of his time in the penalty box.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
He's just saying that players can exceed expectations. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Roussel to develop into an adequate 2nd line wing. I think the main hurdle for him to overcome would be his lack of discipline (as you alluded to). There's no doubt in my mind that he has enough speed and skill to hack it on a line with Spezza and Hemsky.

Primetimey*

So, the stream isn't showing up under "Press Room" on NHL.com like last year. Anyone know how I can change my browser settings to make it look like I am from Texas? :D

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

Alex Burrows was a bottom six player without much of an offensive game till he got paired up with the Sedins. Roussel was much the same way through junior and the AHL but he's put a real emphasis in working on that aspect of his game and as long as he's willing to drive to the net, work in the corners, block the goaltender and find open areas of the ice when his linemates have the puck he'd be fine with guys like Spezza and Hemsky using their puck skills.

That's not to say he's going to become Burrows but I have no issue with putting him in the spot in preseason and seeing if it works out. At worst he goes back to the 3rd line.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If you guys get the NHL.com stream to work since most of you are in texas, let us know. if someone can see it, I'll find a way to watch as well haha.

here's to no injuries in the preseason

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I mean, Roussel is getting the call because Ritchie, Val, and Sceviour are all hurt and Cole sucks. Someone's got to go out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad