GDT: Pre-Season Game #1 - 9.22.14 - vs St. Louis - 7:30 PM

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Step with the lines

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 7m
Stars lines this morning: Roussel-Spezza -Hemsky; Garbutt-Fiddler-Ranford; McKenzie-Morin-Glennie; Elie-Dickinson-Cole

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 5m
Defense pairs this morning: Jordie Benn-Connauton; Nemeth-Honka; Jokipakka-Oleksiak

Hmm Nemeth and Honka...I like that.

Also McKenzie-Morin-Glennie may be a common line down in CPC.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Roussel-Spezza-Hemsky being kept together makes me feel a bit more optimistic that Cole won't be on the second line. I'm excited to see their chemistry in the game assuming I can find a way to stream it without being in Texas

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Roussel-Spezza-Hemsky being kept together makes me feel a bit more optimistic that Cole won't be on the second line. I'm excited to see their chemistry in the game assuming I can find a way to stream it without being in Texas

@StarsInsideEdge 2m
Second round of line rushes has Cole playing with Spezza and Hemsky; Roussel skating with Dickinson and Elie

Well, ****.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
You say that and Mark is now saying Cole is with Spez and Hemski on the second rush. They may cycle him through.

KiedisA

Feb 27, 2010
Cole is on the different level when it comes to finishing and when playing with those two, you need to be able to score goals when the chances come.. FFS we're talking about a guy who scored 35 goals just two seasons ago..

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
If you're going to be playing with Spezza and Hemsky you better be able to handle a damn pass. Cole struggled doing that simple task all last season. Who do I want to see on that line?

ABC

Anyone but Cole.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Cole might work there. Purely on his style of play it's a fit. As much as we complain about him, he had 16 goals in 75 games last season. With two premier set up men on his line it's not hard to imagine him hitting 20 which is more than fine for the third guy on that line. Then again there's Roussel who Ruff seems to think has another level he can get to in terms of finishing.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
If you're going to be playing with Spezza and Hemsky you better be able to handle a damn pass. Cole struggled doing that simple task all last season. Who do I want to see on that line?

ABC

Anyone but Cole.

Having watched all of their Ottawa games from last season I very strongly agree that Spezza and Hemsky need someone who has speed and who can handle and dish good passes. In Ottawa they were on a line with Michalek who was actually better than Cole but he was obviously the weak link in their line and plays died on his stick. I can see the exact same thing happening with Cole except worse

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Cole is on the different level when it comes to finishing and when playing with those two, you need to be able to score goals when the chances come.. FFS we're talking about a guy who scored 35 goals just two seasons ago..

I'm not a person that has a problem with Cole, but this makes no sense. 2 years removed from anything at 35 years old (months away from being 36) means absolutely nothing.

One guy was given Top 6 minutes several times during the year, averaged 15 minutes a game, and he was force fed 2+ minutes a night of consistent PP time.

The other played a checking role every night often straight up against the other teams best players, played 13 minutes a night, and was given zero PP time.

They both scored nearly the exact same ... Both 29 points, and Cole had just a couple more goals. Literally nothing about that would warrant a, "FFS," or, "Cole is on the different level when it comes to finishing."

We're not talking about Cole from two years ago. Most hockey players aren't Jagr or Selanne. They don't age gracefully. More importantly, this wasn't some Roussel fanboy with a crackpot idea. This is Ruff and his staff testing out a theory.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
One guy was given Top 6 minutes several times during the year, averaged 15 minutes a game, and he was force fed 2+ minutes a night of consistent PP time.

The other played a checking role every night often straight up against the other teams best players, played 13 minutes a night, and was given zero PP time.

I guess the other side of the argument is that Antoine Roussel was one of the best players in the league in that hard minutes role last year, and he should be kept doing that because it's a more valuable player than playing 3rd fiddle on the 2nd line where obviously Spezza and Hemsky are going to be mostly working off eachother.

There's lots of players we could throw up there to collect loose points, there are hardly any that could effectively replace Roussel's useage in his own end.

Brand New Stars

And two seasons ago Ray Whitney was still very good. See how silly it is to use past performance with an old player?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't know why you guys are *****ing about Cole being on a line with Spezza and Hemsky in the preseason.

This is where you're free to experiment. Relax.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad