GDT: Pre-Season Fake Frozen Fury LA Kings vs San Jose Sharks @6:00pm 10/5/23

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Before moving to the next step one should Dominate and I don't think from the games I watched he Dominated... was he good yep dominate,no...
Dominating a league is an unreasonable prerequisite before they can play pro.

Did Doughty dominate the OHL before coming over? Did Kopitar dominate the top Swedish league before coming over? How many leagues do you think exist?

Reactions: Fishhead

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Byfield is bringing a lot of net front presence this year, he's been in the crease almost every shift, he won't get points that way but it's invaluable to this team.
I wish he would plant himself in front of the goalie more though with his size. Too often hes a little off to the side looking for a backdoor tip instead of directly in front for a screen.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He has played really well since he left.
I thought he look decent with the Flames.

But he's still 36 years old, so I was concerned he'd be burned out.

If he plays well, it will help immensely in balancing out the 4th line. We'd finally have four quality lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I thought he look decent with the Flames.

But he's still 36 years old, so I was concerned he'd be burned out.

If he plays well, it will help immensely in balancing out the 4th line.
The biggest misfortune with Lewis is there were comparisons to John Madden when he was drafted, and because he didn't meet the two-way dominance, it contributed to some souring on him. It's part of the reason I, personally, have learned to avoid comparisons beyond stylistic.

The other issue is this expectation of every first-round pick to be the 'best' players of their draft class, and anything less is an abject failure.

He lacks a scoring touch, but the dude just brings everything else. He's done it his whole career.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Byfield played fine. Hes doing enough to please the coaches and stay in an NHL role. The problem is he wont take charge and live up to his draft hype.
Unfortunately there’s a lot of players who play “fine” which is why it begs the question why even keep him on the roster if that’s only what we’re ever gonna get out of him lol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Man big UPs to Lafferriere last game. He went and threw a couple of nice hits, started some extremely sexy cycles and showed he is a gamer right off the bat. My man Kevin Fiala starts to throw some punches when he sees his teammate getting pushed around. PLD showing some spice and everything nice. It was nice to see some semblance of roughness yesterday. I’m telling you guys making Kopitar the captain made this team soft as f***. The King is dead long live the King. I will have no problem with losing if the boys are willing to f*** up the opposition.

Either kick Byfield or Kaliyev off the team, and insert Lafferiere for real. Dude shows more aptitude than the both of them combined.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Unfortunately there’s a lot of players who play “fine” which is why it begs the question why even keep him on the roster if that’s only what we’re ever gonna get out of him lol
Because he was drafted 2nd overall?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The Lewis signing has always been fine with me, and I am not really broken up by losing some middling prospects given the current build of the roster. He still looks good and reliable to have on the bottom 6, he belongs here, and we are literally arguing about not placing top 6 skill prospects on the fourth line playing limited minutes. The roster is maxed out this year and we are forced to make some stupid roster maneuvers, but overall the financials are actually healthier than most think.

While we have a million RFA's/UFA's throughout the organization, we are scheduled to shed about $10 million in cap without any real significant losses other than maybe Arvidsson (though there is money to re-sign him if we want), the cap is rumored to increase around ~$5M, there are no significant raises expected in most of the potential re-signings, and the only need would be in goal which we may actually have funds for, though I am hoping that some RFA's make a case for a raise as well.

Reactions: Shellz and Fishhead

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If teams cut out all the guys who just play fine, the league would have to retract back to 8-12 teams.

Byfield isn't living up to billing yet, but there are a lot of guys who are fine for their first few years then figure it out big time. Hoping he's one of those and not a guy who plays fine then never really eclipses that.

He plainly has high-end ability, the main problem I see is he's not a risk taker yet.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If teams cut out all the guys who just play fine, the league would have to retract back to 8-12 teams.

Byfield isn't living up to billing yet, but there are a lot of guys who are fine for their first few years then figure it out big time. Hoping he's one of those and not a guy who plays fine then never really eclipses that.

He plainly has high-end ability, the main problem I see is he's not a risk taker yet.
You’re trying to tell me the league would be hard pressed the replace 3 goals a season lmao. Dwight King did more riding kopitars coat tails and now he’s in Iceland the second he got traded. the NHL would collapse without Dwight King caliber players ohhh boy.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You’re trying to tell me the league would be hard pressed the replace 3 goals a season lmao. Dwight King did more riding kopitars coat tails and now he’s in Iceland the second he got traded. the NHL would collapse without Dwight King caliber players ohhh boy.

That's not what I'm trying to tell you.

I'm trying to tell you that there are a lot of guys in the NHL who are just fine, run-of-the-mill players. If your roster was only made up of "good" or "above average" players, you wouldn't have enough to fill 32 rosters, because there aren't 640 of those. More like a few hundred.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
That's not what I'm trying to tell you.

I'm trying to tell you that there are a lot of guys in the NHL who are just fine, run-of-the-mill players. If your roster was only made up of "good" or "above average" players, you wouldn't have enough to fill 32 rosters, because there aren't 640 of those. More like a few hundred.
Oh. Thanks for the clarification. My point is that I think it’s pretty well shown that just by that one game that Laferriere shows a really good aptitude and skillset for the game. I think that the Kings should keep him on the team right now and if it came to someone like Byfield and Kaliyev losing their spot I think no one should have an issue with that. In the first period alone Laferriere showed skill and drive that none of those players have.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Oh. Thanks for the clarification. My point is that I think it’s pretty well shown that just by that one game that Laferriere shows a really good aptitude and skillset for the game. I think that the Kings should keep him on the team right now and if it came to someone like Byfield and Kaliyev losing their spot I think no one should have an issue with that. In the first period alone Laferriere showed skill and drive that none of those players have.
But Laf didn’t score so nothing else he did counts.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
But Laf didn’t score so nothing else he did counts.
But he showed really good skill which is always what I’m looking for because points will come to players like that. Statto, I didn’t expect you to the poison the well my friend.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Really looking forward to the Byfield discussions in January when he has a sizzling stat line of 4-14-18 in 36 games played.

Reactions: Sol

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Byfield is bringing a lot of net front presence this year, he's been in the crease almost every shift, he won't get points that way but it's invaluable to this team.

And that's exactly why that line took off and was arguably the most dominant in the league after Byfield's addition. He's a key to that line with his pressure. That was a massive step, imo.

We just need him to find his own production and identity as well given as it looks Kopitar is skating on a walker out there.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
But he showed really good skill which is always what I’m looking for because points will come to players like that. Statto, I didn’t expect you to the poison the well my friend.
Dude, I’m playing… Laf had a great game. I’m very high on him and loved the pick from very early on. Tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The biggest misfortune with Lewis is there were comparisons to John Madden when he was drafted, and because he didn't meet the two-way dominance, it contributed to some souring on him. It's part of the reason I, personally, have learned to avoid comparisons beyond stylistic.

The other issue is this expectation of every first-round pick to be the 'best' players of their draft class, and anything less is an abject failure.

He lacks a scoring touch, but the dude just brings everything else. He's done it his whole career.
As a first rounder you'd expect a player to be at least a 3rd line player and he wasn't because 4th liners you can off the Waiver-wire you would think? Was he a valuable player? Personally it burns my ass that LA didn't get it right and other players drafted afterwards were far better than he(thinking Claude Giroux) here...so Lombardi blew a 2005 first rounder and a 2007 with THickey plus a 2008 first rounder with CTeubert because Lombardi was in love with Speed, and rushing D-man and Size with physicality and the fact he wanted to build a team with plenty of Americans...if the player was good yeah draft him but if he's Russian,Canadian,American and isn't a top flight player I'm speaking of First rounders than what the hell do you have but a scouting staff that whiffed, once,twice,three times...and plenty other times...

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Really looking forward to the Byfield discussions in January when he has a sizzling stat line of 4-14-18 in 36 games played.
One empty netter after a penalty, two deflections off his leg and one he gets credit for after an opposition own goal because he was the last person to touch the puck. His development is right on target. LOL. Four goals might be a bit generous. :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not sure if this is a hot take but I genuinely believe Nikita Scherbak showed more potential in being our star 1st line winger than QB has in his career with us.

Reactions: Sol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad