Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season | Caps vs Bruins | 10/2/15 | Caps Win 2-1 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Johansson - Burakovsky - Williams
Laich - Beagle - Wilson
Chimera - Stephenson - Latta
Collins

Roy & Galiev go because not enough gritz. That's my guess. Third scoring line be damned...at least until Backstrom is back and maybe not then either.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
helluva game

I liked the Kuz lift. It did seem he wanted to go through the legs.

Oshie is the defacto king of shootout. #Obvious

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am intrigued by Latta. He just seems a bit out of place in the high speed games. He shows us little flashes of a good passing sense, and provides toughness up front, behind, Wilson Ovi and....

Oshie! Who has a more memorable hit than Brouwer had in 4 years... as a league leader in hits. It's great to add another fearless guy in the lineup, with skill.

I figured Roy was a lock now I am not so sure.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
There was no "we" that ran me off. It was actually you! Your inane meandering posts sapped my will to live...:sarcasm:

Cold-blooded, Bob.

But going back to your comment regarding Orlov... I too noticed that he's probably had the highest compete level among anyone in the roster this preseason. He's a bit rusty, but he has busted his balls out there. He looked really good on the 3-on-3. A few more games to get up to speed and he will replace Greenie nicely.

Beagle at 3C? Fail. :facepalm:

3C, 4C... whatever you wanna call it, its going to be the checking line.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Stephenson has played well in the pre-season but the center ice looks too green if you ice Kuznetsov, Burra, Beagle, Stephenson to me.

Roy can bring intangibles that Stephenson cannot....experience. Not too mention how many players have you seen play a great pre-season and fade within the first 5 games? Let the kid develop a bit more in the AHL and sign Roy.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Stephenson has played well in the pre-season but the center ice looks too green if you ice Kuznetsov, Burra, Beagle, Stephenson to me.

Roy can bring intangibles that Stephenson cannot....experience. Not too mention how many players have you seen play a great pre-season and fade within the first 5 games? Let the kid develop a bit more in the AHL and sign Roy.

I agree re: Stephenson. Let him start in Hershey and be a first call up if needed. Roy has experience and should be cheap depth.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Though the hit was clean mcquaid's feet were around the lip of the boards. Leveled him.

Sep 19, 2008
At the game and in the 3rd period all these fights break out and like 3 Bruins are in the penalty box and then one of them just starts yelling across the box at the Capitals and the ref barged into the box to shove him down and tell him to shut up. Not sure why the Bruins were so riled last night.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Didnt really have a choice. Mcquaid went after him after a clean hit by oshie and picked up an instigator penalty and a misconduct

McQuaid wouldn't have even gone after him in the first place. He just went in there to save Krug from taking a beating. :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its not hard to guess that they thought Oshie's hit was a cheap shot in a preseason game.

Meanwhile Oshie had no idea who he was tangling with. My read is that Oshie was trying to set a tone for who he is while at the same time not really knowing who the other guys were.

We all think these players know who most other players are and they don't.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The game got progressively more entertaining.

All things being equal, I'd prefer to keep Roy over Stephenson. The regular season is a whole different beast than the preseason and this year -- with Backstrom recovering, the Metro looking like it has 5-6 legit teams, and the mantra from GMBM that our window is now -- is not the time to ease a rookie center into regular minutes.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I agree re: Stephenson. Let him start in Hershey and be a first call up if needed. Roy has experience and should be cheap depth.

Stephenson in Hershey isn't a bad idea and you make a good point there.

But I'd rather have the cap space than Roy. At the TDL we will most likely regret it if we sign Roy now.

We can always return Stephenson to Hershey once Backstrom comes back.

Bura as 2C and Latta at 4C. Bank the cap space and don't sign Roy.

Cold-blooded, Bob.

But going back to your comment regarding Orlov... I too noticed that he's probably had the highest compete level among anyone in the roster this preseason. He's a bit rusty, but he has busted his balls out there. He looked really good on the 3-on-3. A few more games to get up to speed and he will replace Greenie nicely.

3C, 4C... whatever you wanna call it, its going to be the checking line.

RE: Orlov - Yeah he looks like he's going to get better. He's so quick in those pivots too and hits.

Beagle at 3C is not FAIL. Beagle is a darn good player and he seems to single handedly pick up the energy on the team when they are floundering.

Also we need him for face offs. Big, good speed, willing to play physical, wins face offs and kills penalties.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Its not hard to guess that they thought Oshie's hit was a cheap shot in a preseason game.

Meanwhile Oshie had no idea who he was tangling with. My read is that Oshie was trying to set a tone for who he is while at the same time not really knowing who the other guys were.

We all think these players know who most other players are and they don't.

I think you're making too much of a general "what fans don't realize" statement based on one fight. Oshie's vision was obscured by his helmet when McQuaid came in. It probably wasn't that he didn't know who McQuaid was so much as he couldn't see who he was tangled with. He and McQuaid had been yapping and going back and forth all night.

Players around the league definitely know who the fighters are, especially if we're talking about vets. We see such rep-based talk all the time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Stephenson in Hershey isn't a bad idea and you make a good point there.

But I'd rather have the cap space than Roy. At the TDL we will most likely regret it if we sign Roy now.

We can always return Stephenson to Hershey once Backstrom comes back.

Bura as 2C and Latta at 4C. Bank the cap space and don't sign Roy.

RE: Orlov - Yeah he looks like he's going to get better. He's so quick in those pivots too and hits.

Beagle at 3C is not FAIL. Beagle is a darn good player and he seems to single handedly pick up the energy on the team when they are floundering.

Also we need him for face offs. Big, good speed, willing to play physical, wins face offs and kills penalties.

Pretty much all of this.

Orlov has guile. Mike Green had it early on but lost it a bit. Used to be Green was the only guy on the team who had the presence of mind and understanding of the defense to fake shots or passes. That dried up a bit later for various reasons.

Last night Orlov made a few plays that got my attention and looked like the Orlov we saw when he first came in. One was a nice stick and body fake of a d-to-d pass at the blueline that opened up space for him do drive along the boards. Most other defensemen on this team would've just panicked and made the pass or dumped the puck.

Please, please stay healthy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you're making too much of a general "what fans don't realize" statement based on one fight. Oshie's vision was obscured by his helmet when McQuaid came in. It probably wasn't that he didn't know who McQuaid was so much as he couldn't see who he was tangled with. He and McQuaid had been yapping and going back and forth all night.

Players around the league definitely know who the fighters are, especially if we're talking about vets. We see such rep-based talk all the time.

He said post game that he didn't know who McQuaid was. I take him at his word.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He said post game that he didn't know who McQuaid was. I take him at his word.

Even if he didn't know it doesn't mean it's a widespread thing, or that there's some general trend among players that the fans are ignorant of. As I said, his helmet was in his face. He initially started tussling with someone else and McQuaid joined in, and Oshie ended up on someone he hadn't started with because he couldn't see. By the time he'd started throwing punches he was committed to fighting the wrong guy, who happened to be a heavy. He kept throwing instead of just hugging or turtling, which is what might normally have happened with such a mismatch/mistake.

“Maybe one of the bad things about not being well-educated about players in the East is you don’t exactly know who fights, who’s heavy, and who’s not,†Oshie said. “I think he might have been giving me an out there, but my helmet was in my face, and I’m not going to back down. It’s part of the game, and it was kind of fun.â€

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-mcquaid-which-barry-trotz-called-a-mismatch/

Oshie may not know all the EC heavies yet, but he will. There is no way, no how, that players go around having no idea who the toughs are on the teams they're going to face, given enough prep and solid rosters. Changing conferences, playing a preseason game with juggled rosters, and getting into one ill-advised fight isn't the norm.

This isn't an opportunity to talk about how clueless fans are as outsiders. It's a freak happening and Oshie will know all the EC heavies soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad